Greetings from Aberdeenshire

G'Day folks. Decided I would try my hand at "proper" shaving so did a bit of internet searching and found this forum. I have just ordered my first ever DE (yay!) which is the Edwin Jagger De89bl (from Amazon), should be here in a few days so I have time to go shopping for all the other stuff I need.
I have been a wet shaver most of my shaving life (cartridges) but just fancy something better for my occasional shave (not a very beardy chap).
Live just north of Aberdeen, don't mind buying stuff online but if someone knows of somewhere decent in town to buy shaving stuff, please let me know.
Now that i have pulled the trigger on the razor (comes with five blades to get started), can you suggest what other basics I need for the first proper shave of my life?

I thought:

Pre-shave cream (or maybe just a soak with a hot towel)
Basic brush
Shaving cream/soap (any advantage in using one or the other?)
Bowl for lathering?
Styptic pencil

several yards of tissue on standby!

Yours in anticipation

Gingerpose

All you *need* is a brush & soap (or cream).

The rest is just "flannel" and can be dispensed with...

I have styptic here, never needed to use it (but I know if I didn't have it, I would immediately need it...) - comes as styptic pencils, matches or gel.

Soap vs cream - think of it that cream is simply "soft soap" - partially dissolved if you like... so a cream will generally be easier to generate a lather from than a soap. The trade off is that 100g of soap will last longer than 100g of cream...

No need for a bowl at all - even if you felt the need, you could repurpose something from the kitchen or similar at least on a temporary basis.

Brush - depends what you want to spend... a tenner or so gets you a very serviceable Vulfix 404 boar/badger mix (the 404 comes in many flavours so be vigilant in placing your order), £30-40 will get you a stonkingly good badger brush from Fido's New Forest range...

Hi and welcome to the site, no need for any more advise at this stage. Have a look at some of the old topics to get an idea and along the way you will find the Mantic videos well worth a watch, enjoy.
Think I just gave some more advise, never mind you will get tones of that.

Welcome to TSR!

I have used up many styptics! An alum block will last you long. The round ones with handles are worth the extra cost, as they are easier to hold on to.

If you dont want to spend much, but want easy good lather, start with Palmolive stick and cream. they are almost impossible to get wrong, and they cost next to nothing. And the lather is good.

/Max

Thank you for the warm welcome! I think I will keep things nice and simple for now, probably get some cream and a brush this afternoon, there's (hopefully) many years ahead to delve deeper into the realms of gemtlemen's personal grooming products!

Back
Top Bottom