"Hello!" from Cardiff

I'm Jay, just bought my first collection of stuff (as per http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7652&start=40#p105688) after having a hot towel shave at my barbers that was a lot nicer than fighting with a plastic multiblade on the days I could bring myself to it.

My stuff should arrive by tonight, so a few hours in front of YouTube learning the basics then a hot shower and smooth shave before bed for me... looking forward to it for one of the first times in my life!

Good to see there's a striving UK community for this, I read the basics over on SomethingAwful.com which has a heavy American bias. Luckily we use the same brands for the most part, but any links to bargains or new products tend to be out of my reach. Nice to be surrounded by my fellow countrymen!

Hi Jay, and welcome to TSR :) there's lots of info and some great people here who are always willing to give some decent friendly advice. A great guy to watch on Youtube is Mantic59 - his tutorials are brilliant, they are helping me a lot :)

Where in Cardiff do you get the hot towel shave from ? - I live and work close to Cardiff and wouldn't mind treating myself one day soon :shave

Yup, everywhere I've read points to his videos so they're definitely my "go to" guide this evening.

With regards to the barbers, I had it done at Windsor Barbers which is right next to the Queen St. Sainsbury's store (it's in a sidestreet just behind it). There was a voucher on GroupOn to get their £85 package (haircut, hot towel shave and facial) for £30 I think it was. They were named by Men's Health as one of the best in the country so thought I'd treat myself.

They have a little store in there too where they sell stuff, most of what I saw was Taylor of Old Bond Street but didn't catch the prices. I'm guessing it has a pretty hefty markup compared to online though.

Nice people, good service. Don't think I could afford the full £85 on a regular basis but nice to know what you get for your money.

Enjoy your first DE shave mate, don't go for (or expect) ultra smooth results straight away, just aim for comfort and enjoy the learning phase, doesn't take too long.
TOBS is quite nice stuff but you're right that it's easy to get hold of by yourself. Truefitt and Hill do some extremely nice products too.

Welcome!

You. Said. Somethingawful.com. Is this a goon with taste? Are you intent on shattering all my biased internet xenophobia?

Welcome aboard.... It's a slippery, well lathered slope you are taking your first steps on. Beware the vintage razor collecting bug, beware....

Back
Top Bottom