Help with awkward area under jawline

Background: fairly new to DE shaving (3 months ish), using EJ de89bl with various blades. I have been having limited success in getting a decent close shave on the neck and in particular the area right under the "hinge" of my jaw - am happy with everything above the jawline. I have been trying passes in different directions, stretching the skin, moving my jaw down to loosen the skin but nothing seems to really work well. As a result of probably overshaving I have been getting redness and the occasional weeper.

Any tips to work on this?

Ainslie

The best thing I know of is a cut throat razor ... assuming that isn't what you wanted to hear I reckon skin stretching is the most promising avenue, but don't overdo it, and don't be tempted to apply extra pressure.

Yup, skin stretching. I know you say you've tried it but have you really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d it? Put you arm over you head and place your hand on your cheek. Then pull the skin up so that the area you are having trouble with moves above the jaw and in to an easier place to shave. Don't do this in public though, as you could look a bit of a tit. :D

Never thought of pulling the skin up- I've been stretching it downwards. Will give that a try next shave. Which will almost certainly be in private, as I am not an exhibitionistic pogonotomist. :shave :shave

The very thought of a straight gives me a cold sweat so let's just not go there. :lol:

Yes I'm like Chris, after one simple WTG pass I then approach it from a slightly oblique angle paying close attention and using very short strokes. Seems to tidy it up nicely.

I don't know of many people that can get BBS on the neck so don't feel you have to overdo it. It's just one of those tricky areas.

Canuck said:
Yes I'm like Chris, after one simple WTG pass I then approach it from a slightly oblique angle paying close attention and using very short strokes. Seems to tidy it up nicely.

I don't know of many people that can get BBS on the neck so don't feel you have to overdo it. It's just one of those tricky areas.

In my case, it's made more awkward by my disability. What it means in terms of shaving is that my chest is bowed outwards, which, combined with the tendency of all wheelchair users to get more or less round-shouldered, means that I can't go N-S on my neck; even a small razor won't fit. Fortunately, WTG for me is centreline towards the ear; I then go S-N for an XTG pass, but, as I can't do the N-S pass to go XTG, the answer is to go up and across at 45 degrees which is halfway between the previous XTG pass and fully ATG. Doesn't get the area BBS, but, as Canuck said, that's hard to attain for many shavers.

Neck in general has always been a problem for me just due to general thickness of growth round there. Need to shave twice a day, lucky if i shave 3 times a week but trying to do it daily again.

I use the technique that Mantic59 described as buffing, if I'm not mistaken. That means short buffing motion in 45 degrees against the grain, something between XTG and ATG.

A slightly oblique suggestion...find yourself a spring washer or similar to fit your razor.

spring_washer_rectangular.jpg

When it comes to shaving the area concerned give it a 1/4 turn or so to increase blade gap and shave as normal, you'll probably find you get used to it, prefer it and then seek a more aggressive razor.

Gingerpose said:
Interesting - I've got an adjustable which is currently in Frenchblade's Refurb Room, so will see how that deals with it :shave

Presuming it's a vintage Gillette, don't set it too high at first. Once you're used to it, setting it on 7 or so and being veeerrrry gentle will help get the problem area as close to BBS (or at least DFS) as it'll get.

Back
Top Bottom