Hi my name is Michelle

S

shelltilly

Hi everyone, just a little to introduce myself. I am interested in the scents, parfumes you men prefer in your shaving soap for my research.
Do you like zingy citrus smells, woody scents, clean fresh breezy aroma's or warm spicey sensual scents or no scent at all, just moisturising and smooth gliding soap.

Sorry to ask all this but, I can only ask the men who use a wet shave and I don't usualy ask men personal questions like this, but I do need to research this for a project I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Michelle

shelltilly said:
Hi everyone, just a little to introduce myself. I am interested in the scents, parfumes you men prefer in your shaving soap for my research.
Do you like zingy citrus smells, woody scents, clean fresh breezy aroma's or warm spicey sensual scents or no scent at all, just moisturising and smooth gliding soap.

Sorry to ask all this but, I can only ask the men who use a wet shave and I don't usualy ask men personal questions like this, but I do need to research this for a project I'm doing.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Michelle

Hi Michelle, I would suggest that all those scents are popular with members here. What kind of project are you working on?

Hi Michelle, welcome to TSR.

I think you'll get a similar answer from a lot of posters, but for me it just depends on my mood and on what I fancy when I wake up. Everyone likes something different.
This morning I used a lemon and bergamot oil, and a lime shaving cream, but then it's a beautiful sunny day and I felt like it. I very much like lavender on sunny days as well. The weather is sometimes a factor, but not necessarily.

In no particular order and for no particular reason, I like lime, lemon, bergamot, lavender, and coconut.

The smell of a soap or cream doesn't hang around so it's not all that critical a choice.

Are you making a soap?

Hi canuck and pigcat, I love lemon, lavender & Bergamot myself and Lemongrass.
Yes I am making soap, I want going to plug my business or anything as I don't think it's allowed on forums ?

I am making some soap in round pot's for Father's Day, and I make the soap with real Silk, Shea butter, Sweet Almon Oil, goats Milk. fresh pulverised Avocado, Butter Milk BEER , a good Sout Beer from my Local Brewery. Scented with natural essential oils.

I am open to any suggestions you may have and can even make bespoke soaps in the colour, scent and ingredients you like, as long as they are on my list. I have a Safety Assesment for my procuct and wesite.

Please tell me off Moderator if I am overstepping the mark here :)

Michelle

I don't think there is a problem discussing likes and dislikes, when you are ready to sell officially there is a Vendor's section where you can advertise your wares.

We have a few soap making members here and they have all bar none sent samples out for testing, you can use the tastiest ingredients but if the soap doesn't lather well, for shavers at least it's next to useless.

Tony's right, the performance of the soap is the first thing to get right. Then you can add nice scents. I'm sure if you wanted to send out samples there would be some takers willing to give you honest feedback.

Welcome Michelle.

One of the attractions of the shavingstyle we persue is that we enjoy the choice of products on a daily basis, as apposed to the same old can of goo routine.

There probably are not too many people out there with a dozen or so cans of gel, but there are plenty of people on here that exceed that with soaps and creams, so lots of opportunity for repeat business.

But as Antdad says - lather is king! :)

Welcome to the forum

shelltilly said:

Yes I do :cool: (I love being helpful)

As has already been said I base my choice on the performance rather than the scent, just about the only scent I dislike is almond but there are plenty here that love it!

To be honest I am more concerned about the fragrance of my aftershave or EDT than that of the soap as that is the scent that will last.

Hello Michelle, you're very welcome here. Soap makers are highly regarded hereabouts.

To answer your original question, yes please to all of those scent styles, but it's emphatically the lather which is most important. In my case I'm looking for good glide and cushioning above everything else (I use a cut throat), and any drying or tautness after shaving is highly undesirable. I'm willing to use soap with a scent I rather dislike (almond for instance) if the lather is good enough.

I very much doubt that there would be any objection to you posting your website address. I'd certainly be interested to have a look.

Hi and welcome to TSR Michelle! :D What the others have said + I agree with Arrowhead above, function/glide is more important for me than scent - even though it´s very nice if the both´re right/good. Citrus and woody often "work" for me.

Hi & welcome Michelle, trust me, if you saw some of the questions & discussions on here you wouldn't find it necessary to even imagine that you're asking "personal" questions !

In terms of shaving soaps I believe that as almost everyone so far has said performance is king. An ideal lather (for me) would be one which wouldn't strip the natural skin oils too severely, be dense in constitution, have a good frictional coefficient and remain stable for two full passes.

From what I've seen posted on this site general faves often include staples such as Bay Rum, Tabac and scents which whilst not overpowering have a reasonably long lingering effect. My personal favourite is the old Faberge Brut from the sixties (rather than the modern Brut Lite currently used in their splash ons). However I'm a pensioner & may well have deviant (in a shaving sense only) tastes.

JohnnyO. \ ;)

Mornin Michelle,

a warm welcome. Hey cool, making your own soaps.
Sandalwood is a fave of mine. Possibly with a hint of vanilla!!!
Let us know when you are up for sale as a new soap is a joy to have in the mornings. Especially if the smell lingers a while....

Cheers,
Tim.

Back
Top Bottom