House of Lords

Website
https://www.lordshave.net/

I've used Lord blades for a good number of years, but within the last few months I have run the entire Lord house back-to-back in the same razor ... and then revisited a number in the same razor and alternative razors. I've been over and over how the heck to write this up. I've been back and forth over style and format ... and in the end, I think I'll just figuratively dump my notes here and put some explanations around them.

First, some history ... and a statement as a starting point:
https://www.lordshave.net/history.php

History
In 1930 the first blades mechanized factory in the Middle East region was established in Alexandria, under the name of Alexandria Metal Products Company.
In 1978 a joint venture was formed with the former Wilkinson Sword (UK), the matter that boosted the improvement and the modernization of the manufacturing systems, procedures and quality controls.
In 1981 and due to the Wilkinson's restructure for its global functional areas of existence, the company was fully sold, which resulted in changing the company's name to Lord Precision Industries.

To my mind, Lord are the spiritual successor to the vintage Wilkinson Sword, which finally left the UK in 2000 with the closure of the Cramlington plant.

Statement
Lord have three classes of blade: Stainless, Chrome & Platinum and a very black and white statement might be that all branding within any given class is the same as the rest.

I'm inclined to agree ...

I'm inclined to agree because I think there is a generation thing going on here and the blades that I have may well be of very different ages and that itself is the sole difference. Presumably Lord is running every day of the week and stock will flow through steadily, but the distributors and the vendors will have different levels of throughput.

Back to back, the renowned Silver Star Super Stainless isn't actually all that. Back to back, the Lord Classic Super Stainless isn't necessarily smoother than any other Super Stainless. Back to back, the Lord Platinum Class might feel a tad brighter because it is newer than, say, the Lord Superior Platinum. Everything else is imagination.

I'm inclined to agree, but ...

Even run back to back with the same razor throughout I am finding what I'd say are noticeable differences between blades of the same class. That, and Squire over on SMF has macro-photography showing difference in grinds with some branding. However, in the final analysis the entire range does fit within a fairly tight bracket in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

Platinum/Chrome (Ranking) < possible bracket of finishes within blade class? Nah! Imaginary ... or a case of old stock versus new
Lord Superior Platinum 7.5 = Lord Tajam (same sleeve) & Blue Sword Platinum 7.3/7.5 < older packaging with a nicer feel, but probably all in the mind
Lord/Shark Platinum Class 8.9/7.4 = Racer/ASCO/Crown Platinum Class 7.7/7.6/7.2 < probably a generation thing … Platinum Class is the new nomenclature
Lord/Shark Super Chrome 7.4/7.25 < Significantly smoother than the Platinum Class

Super Stainless (Ranking) < almost certainly a bracket of finishes ... not of sharpness, but comfort (notice: Rainbow Super Class ... and what's extra about the Extra?)
Silver Star Super Stainless 9 < Standout for sharpness
Lord Classic Super Stainless 8.5 < Standout for smoothness
Lord Extra 8 = Lord Cool Super Stainless & Blue Sword Extra 8.3/8? = Racer/ASCO/Crown Super Stainless 8.2/8/7.8
Lord/Shark Super Stainless 7/6.9 = OK Super Stainless/Rainbow Super Class 6/6.9
Big Ben Super Stainless 6 & Big Ben Classic 6.5 < Legacy/Economy?

I’ve put in my ratings (in bold) but please don’t necessarily read these as the platinum or chrome class being not as good as the stainless class, just that my preference is for simple stainless while I find the platinum perhaps too sharp for my liking (or rather, technique … I’m heavy-handed). What you can take from my ratings is a comparative look at blades of the same class to spot what I think are the standout branding.

Shortcut? It’s Racer and ASCO, for me. I’d buy these blades under either of those names … both Platinum and Super Stainless. Meanwhile, it’s the Lord Classic and the Silver Star Super Stainless that really stand out for smoothness and sharpness, respectively and the Lord Platinum Class that is the finest of them all.

Conspiracy
What if I was to tell you that the Platinum is not actually a platinum edged blade?

Might this account for the shift towards "Platinum Class" as the new nomenclature and the very clear marking of "Super Stainless" on every Platinum/Class blade?

Might this account for why the Crown appears to be a slip of the mask by stating only "Super Stainless" on their actual Platinum Class blade? Yes, the blades within the Platinum Class pack are stamped exactly the same as the Super Stainless pack!

Might this account for why we have what feels like a standout blade for sharpness in the Silver Star Super Stainless, because it is actually finished to the Platinum Class standard (and has a face-feel suspiciously like the above mentioned Crown Platinum Class); or why we have what feels like a standout blade for smoothness in the Lord Classic Super Stainless because the blades are indeed finished differently, some more so than others?

... that indeed the bracket within which the Super Stainless sit could logically be extended up through the Super Stainless and the Super Chrome blades into the Platinum Class (Super Stainless) and actually that bracket is a bracket across all blades, top to bottom with the Platinum Class being the sharpest, the Super Chrome the smoothest and the Super Stainless the base blade. Everything else is a finishing variant within that bracket - grind and coating.

Maybe.

Fun trying them all out and I do still maintain the following takeout ...

Final Analysis
What's the standard shave? (2/3) Lord/Shark Super Stainless = OK/Rainbow Super Stainless & Big Ben < you'll get shaved but they're nowt to write home about (except perhaps for the Shark Super Stainless which has an almost carbon steel face feel)
Something more comfortable? (3) Lord Extra/Blue Sword Extra = Racer/ASCO/Crown Super Stainless < these are perhaps double coated?
Something sharper? (3/4) Platinum Class is the latest generation and very sharp indeed
Something smoother? (3/4) Super Chrome is the smoothest ... and most akin to vintage Wilkinson Sword (there, I said it)
Silver Star Super Stainless (3) is the standout blade for sharpness (maybe Platinum Class grind?)
Lord Classic (3) is the standout blade for smoothness ... with the Lord Cool just a whisker behind

Big Ben */** is sub-everything ... perhaps a legacy finish from an older branding < different grind

Key:
* Squire on SMF confirms the Big Ben to have a different grind to the Super Stainless
** Big Ben are often cited as being Chrome which can refer to LESS chrome in the stainless (sub 11%) … maybe a sub-stainless variant?
(x/y) Number of shaves before out of the sleeve performance drops _underscore denoting preference

All provide a characterful (if not retro-feeling) shave and all seem to produce highly personal experiences given variations in preparation, lather and razor hardware. You either like 'em or you don't ... but if you don't then do try again with a different combination and you will no doubt be pleasantly surprised.

BrandPlatinum/ClassSuper StainlessSuper Chrome
LordPlatinum Class (labelled Class on the greaseproof wrapper) 8.9 < Latest
White & Blue

Superior Platinum (curiously labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.5 < Legacy?

Premium Platinum (also labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.5
Black w/Plastic Case
Super Stainless 7
Extra (*PTFE) 8
^ Standard & Superior finishes

Classic 8.5
^ Lord Extra+
<

<<
Chrome 7.4
White & Blue (10)
Blue & Blue (5)
SharkPlatinum (Class) 7.4
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 6.9
^Lord Super Stainless
Chrome 7.25
Racer
Stainless - *PTFE
Super Class Platinum 7.7
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 8.2
^Lord Extra?
<
ASCO
Stainless - *PTFE
Platinum/Class (Latest labelling) 7.6
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 8
^Lord Extra?
Orange/Red/Blue
<
Crown
Stainless - *PTFE
Platinum Class 7.2
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 7.8
^Lord Extra?
<
Lord
Tajam - Platinum
Cool - PTFE*
Tajam Platinum (also labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.3
^Lord Superior Platinum
Cool Super Stainless 8.3
^Lord Extra?
<
Blue SwordPlatinum 7.5
^Lord Superior Platinum
Extra 8?
^Lord Extra
<
OKSuper Stainless 6
^Economy Super Stainless?
Blue/Green
RainbowSuper Class Blades 6.9
^Shark Super Stainless?
Green/Violet
Silver Star
Super Stainless ++
Super Stainless Blades 9
^Lord Super Stainless++
Red & Silver/Red & Blue
Green < Indian Market?
<<
Big Ben (Legacy?)Super Stainless 6
^sub-Super Stainless?
Blue/Violet

Classic 6.5
^sub-Super Stainless?
X

X
?

Key:
?Chrome (taken from RBC … and all manner of sellers on the Internet) makes some sense given the apparently smooth (yet less sharp?) shave
*PTFE (taken from RBC) seems to equate to the Lord Extra ... and personal experience
Tajam/Cool < for Thailand/Indonesian/Malaysian/Philippines market (Tajam = “Sharp”)

All marked as Medium Thickness except Big Ben Super Stainless (thicker?), Rainbow Super Stainless (?) & Racer Super Class Platinum (?)

What would I buy again?
Putting my your money where my mouth is ... in order of preference:
Lord Classic Super Stainless (or Lord Cool Super Stainless) < Super-smooth ... best all rounder
Silver Star Super Stainless < PermarSharp Super-like performance
Shark Super Stainless < almost carbon steel feel
Lord Platinum Class < seethingly sharp but not vampiric ... very classy!
Racer Super Stainless/Platinum combo < best of the alt brands
ASCO Super Stainless/Platinum combo < second, only by a smidge ... perhaps sharper?

I do have a plea!
Does anyone have a Big Ben Platinum or a Blue Sword Extra that they could send me?

Not only but also ...
Lord also make the following alternative brands:
Bolzano SuperInox < Titanium
Elios < Platinum
Captain < Carbon Steel

... and some fun with Look & Feel?

R.303B.jpg

Wizamet?

R.306P.jpg
Astra Platinum?

6d44ed0dabb331b33e2ab971e08ec3c70a6f2612.jpg
... going after the Treet Platinum, which is (fun fact) also a "Platinum Class" blade found to have no platinum when tested.

... and one last thing
https://lordshave.net/private_labels.php
Notice some of the brand names? Tesco? Aldi? Boots?

Website
https://www.lordshave.net/

I've used Lord blades for a good number of years, but within the last few months I have run the entire Lord house back-to-back in the same razor ... and then revisited a number in the same razor and alternative razors. I've been over and over how the heck to write this up. I've been back and forth over style and format ... and in the end, I think I'll just figuratively dump my notes here and put some explanations around them.

First, some history ... and a statement as a starting point:
https://www.lordshave.net/history.php

History
In 1930 the first blades mechanized factory in the Middle East region was established in Alexandria, under the name of Alexandria Metal Products Company.
In 1978 a joint venture was formed with the former Wilkinson Sword (UK), the matter that boosted the improvement and the modernization of the manufacturing systems, procedures and quality controls.
In 1981 and due to the Wilkinson's restructure for its global functional areas of existence, the company was fully sold, which resulted in changing the company's name to Lord Precision Industries.

To my mind, Lord are the spiritual successor to the vintage Wilkinson Sword, which finally left the UK in 2000 with the closure of the Cramlington plant.

Statement
Lord have three classes of blade: Stainless, Chrome & Platinum and a very black and white statement might be that all branding within any given class is the same as the rest.

I'm inclined to agree ...

I'm inclined to agree because I think there is a generation thing going on here and the blades that I have may well be of very different ages and that itself is the sole difference. Presumably Lord is running every day of the week and stock will flow through steadily, but the distributors and the vendors will have different levels of throughput.

Back to back, the renowned Silver Star Super Stainless isn't actually all that. Back to back, the Lord Classic Super Stainless isn't necessarily smoother than any other Super Stainless. Back to back, the Lord Platinum Class might feel a tad brighter because it is newer than, say, the Lord Superior Platinum. Everything else is imagination.

I'm inclined to agree, but ...

Even run back to back with the same razor throughout I am finding what I'd say are noticeable differences between blades of the same class. That, and Squire over on SMF has macro-photography showing difference in grinds with some branding. However, in the final analysis the entire range does fit within a fairly tight bracket in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

Platinum/Chrome (Ranking) < possible bracket of finishes within blade class? Nah! Imaginary ... or a case of old stock versus new
Lord Superior Platinum 7.5 = Lord Tajam (same sleeve) & Blue Sword Platinum 7.3/7.5 < older packaging with a nicer feel, but probably all in the mind
Lord/Shark Platinum Class 8.9/7.4 = Racer/ASCO/Crown Platinum Class 7.7/7.6/7.2 < probably a generation thing … Platinum Class is the new nomenclature
Lord/Shark Super Chrome 7.4/7.25 < Significantly smoother than the Platinum Class

Super Stainless (Ranking) < almost certainly a bracket of finishes ... not of sharpness, but comfort (notice: Rainbow Super Class ... and what's extra about the Extra?)
Silver Star Super Stainless 9 < Standout for sharpness
Lord Classic Super Stainless 8.5 < Standout for smoothness
Lord Extra 8 = Lord Cool Super Stainless & Blue Sword Extra 8.3/8? = Racer/ASCO/Crown Super Stainless 8.2/8/7.8
Lord/Shark Super Stainless 7/6.9 = OK Super Stainless/Rainbow Super Class 6/6.9
Big Ben Super Stainless 6 & Big Ben Classic 6.5 < Legacy/Economy?

I’ve put in my ratings (in bold) but please don’t necessarily read these as the platinum or chrome class being not as good as the stainless class, just that my preference is for simple stainless while I find the platinum perhaps too sharp for my liking (or rather, technique … I’m heavy-handed). What you can take from my ratings is a comparative look at blades of the same class to spot what I think are the standout branding.

Shortcut? It’s Racer and ASCO, for me. I’d buy these blades under either of those names … both Platinum and Super Stainless. Meanwhile, it’s the Lord Classic and the Silver Star Super Stainless that really stand out for smoothness and sharpness, respectively and the Lord Platinum Class that is the finest of them all.

Conspiracy
What if I was to tell you that the Platinum is not actually a platinum edged blade?

Might this account for the shift towards "Platinum Class" as the new nomenclature and the very clear marking of "Super Stainless" on every Platinum/Class blade?

Might this account for why the Crown appears to be a slip of the mask by stating only "Super Stainless" on their actual Platinum Class blade? Yes, the blades within the Platinum Class pack are stamped exactly the same as the Super Stainless pack!

Might this account for why we have what feels like a standout blade for sharpness in the Silver Star Super Stainless, because it is actually finished to the Platinum Class standard (and has a face-feel suspiciously like the above mentioned Crown Platinum Class); or why we have what feels like a standout blade for smoothness in the Lord Classic Super Stainless because the blades are indeed finished differently, some more so than others?

... that indeed the bracket within which the Super Stainless sit could logically be extended up through the Super Stainless and the Super Chrome blades into the Platinum Class (Super Stainless) and actually that bracket is a bracket across all blades, top to bottom with the Platinum Class being the sharpest, the Super Chrome the smoothest and the Super Stainless the base blade. Everything else is a finishing variant within that bracket - grind and coating.

Maybe.

Fun trying them all out and I do still maintain the following takeout ...

Final Analysis
What's the standard shave? (2/3) Lord/Shark Super Stainless = OK/Rainbow Super Stainless & Big Ben < you'll get shaved but they're nowt to write home about (except perhaps for the Shark Super Stainless which has an almost carbon steel face feel)
Something more comfortable? (3) Lord Extra/Blue Sword Extra = Racer/ASCO/Crown Super Stainless < these are perhaps double coated?
Something sharper? (3/4) Platinum Class is the latest generation and very sharp indeed
Something smoother? (3/4) Super Chrome is the smoothest ... and most akin to vintage Wilkinson Sword (there, I said it)
Silver Star Super Stainless (3) is the standout blade for sharpness (maybe Platinum Class grind?)
Lord Classic (3) is the standout blade for smoothness ... with the Lord Cool just a whisker behind

Big Ben */** is sub-everything ... perhaps a legacy finish from an older branding < different grind

Key:
* Squire on SMF confirms the Big Ben to have a different grind to the Super Stainless
** Big Ben are often cited as being Chrome which can refer to LESS chrome in the stainless (sub 11%) … maybe a sub-stainless variant?
(x/y) Number of shaves before out of the sleeve performance drops _underscore denoting preference

All provide a characterful (if not retro-feeling) shave and all seem to produce highly personal experiences given variations in preparation, lather and razor hardware. You either like 'em or you don't ... but if you don't then do try again with a different combination and you will no doubt be pleasantly surprised.

BrandPlatinum/ClassSuper StainlessSuper Chrome
LordPlatinum Class (labelled Class on the greaseproof wrapper) 8.9 < Latest
White & Blue

Superior Platinum (curiously labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.5 < Legacy?

Premium Platinum (also labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.5
Black w/Plastic Case
Super Stainless 7
Extra (*PTFE) 8
^ Standard & Superior finishes

Classic 8.5
^ Lord Extra+
<

<<
Chrome 7.4
White & Blue (10)
Blue & Blue (5)
SharkPlatinum (Class) 7.4
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 6.9
^Lord Super Stainless
Chrome 7.25
Racer
Stainless - *PTFE
Super Class Platinum 7.7
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 8.2
^Lord Extra?
<
ASCO
Stainless - *PTFE
Platinum/Class (Latest labelling) 7.6
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 8
^Lord Extra?
Orange/Red/Blue
<
Crown
Stainless - *PTFE
Platinum Class 7.2
^Lord Platinum Class
Super Stainless 7.8
^Lord Extra?
<
Lord
Tajam - Platinum
Cool - PTFE*
Tajam Platinum (also labelled New on the greaseproof wrapper) 7.3
^Lord Superior Platinum
Cool Super Stainless 8.3
^Lord Extra?
<
Blue SwordPlatinum 7.5
^Lord Superior Platinum
Extra 8?
^Lord Extra
<
OKSuper Stainless 6
^Economy Super Stainless?
Blue/Green
RainbowSuper Class Blades 6.9
^Shark Super Stainless?
Green/Violet
Silver Star
Super Stainless ++
Super Stainless Blades 9
^Lord Super Stainless++
Red & Silver/Red & Blue
Green < Indian Market?
<<
Big Ben (Legacy?)Super Stainless 6
^sub-Super Stainless?
Blue/Violet

Classic 6.5
^sub-Super Stainless?
X

X
?

Key:
?Chrome (taken from RBC … and all manner of sellers on the Internet) makes some sense given the apparently smooth (yet less sharp?) shave
*PTFE (taken from RBC) seems to equate to the Lord Extra ... and personal experience
Tajam/Cool < for Thailand/Indonesian/Malaysian/Philippines market (Tajam = “Sharp”)

All marked as Medium Thickness except Big Ben Super Stainless (thicker?), Rainbow Super Stainless (?) & Racer Super Class Platinum (?)

What would I buy again?
Putting my your money where my mouth is ... in order of preference:
Lord Classic Super Stainless (or Lord Cool Super Stainless) < Super-smooth ... best all rounder
Silver Star Super Stainless < PermarSharp Super-like performance
Shark Super Stainless < almost carbon steel feel
Lord Platinum Class < seethingly sharp but not vampiric ... very classy!
Racer Super Stainless/Platinum combo < best of the alt brands
ASCO Super Stainless/Platinum combo < second, only by a smidge ... perhaps sharper?

I do have a plea!
Does anyone have a Big Ben Platinum or a Blue Sword Extra that they could send me?

Not only but also ...
Lord also make the following alternative brands:
Bolzano SuperInox < Titanium
Elios < Platinum
Captain < Carbon Steel

... and some fun with Look & Feel?

View attachment 105205

Wizamet?

View attachment 105206
Astra Platinum?

View attachment 105204
... going after the Treet Platinum, which is (fun fact) also a "Platinum Class" blade found to have no platinum when tested.

... and one last thing
https://lordshave.net/private_labels.php
Notice some of the brand names? Tesco? Aldi? Boots?
I love it when you go turbo nerd! Genuinely interesting write up and thoroughly put together.

Good and very useful analysis.

The Elios to me are not the same as either Lord or Shark Platinum. Happy to send you a tuck if you want?

Excellent write-up.

PTFE adds smoothness.
Chrome adds smoothness.
Platinum adds smoothness.
Ceramic adds smoothness and hardness.
Tungsten adds strength to the blade edge.
Titanium adds strength to the blade edge.

Last edited:
I love the Silver Stars ( easily in my top 10 ), and I picked a tuck of Classic Super Stainless from Connaught based on price, and decided they were extraordinarily smooth while maybe not quite as sharp as the Silver Stars ( which seems to match your findings ). I like both of those blades quite a bit and have a few hundred of them. I could shave the rest of my life with those two blades and be perfectly content.

Most of the Sharks I've used are just various levels of OK ( Plat>Chrome>Stainless if I had to rank them ), and I don't think I'll replace them when I use them up. I can get Silver Stars and Classic Super Stainless for roughly the same price so I don't feel the need to buy more. I'm not afraid to use them when I get the urge, but I rarely get the urge.

I've used exactly one Racer blade, and I recall it being a nice shaver, so I may order a few tucks at some point. Unfortunately, that was before I started keeping notes on my shaves so the details are fuzzy on what I liked about it. I tend to prefer smoothness to sharpness, so I imagine it must have been a smooth shave for me to remember it with fondness.

Since you have the Classic already @Geneaut, the Racer (Stainless) would be a tad less smooth IMO ... as the Classic is a standout blade for smoothness. That said, yes, I found the Racer to be certainly smooth in the stainless while the platinum Racer was certainly sharper and more sharp than smooth in terms of character.

I do agree that the Shark can be a challenging shave. Thing is, I ran this lot back to back, shave after shave for several weeks and to be absolutely honest ... they were all starting to blur together. I think any difference between any in a given class is minimal, but I am the first to point to even minimal differences being the very difference that something like the skin on you face can feel as a considerable difference.

Welcome to TSR!

Interesting post. Thanks.

I think it’s interesting how blades are so individual to people/razors.

I love the Shark SS in every razor I have (admittedly they are mostly heavier/more efficient razors so perhaps similar) and it’s my benchmark blade, yet I know lots of people are unimpressed with it.

Save your money and just buy Lord Platinum, their flagship blade. Just my 2 cents. However, I still recommend the Treet 7 day blade above this. YMMV

Save your money and just buy Lord Platinum, their flagship blade. Just my 2 cents. However, I still recommend the Treet 7 day blade above this. YMMV

"Shortcut? It’s Racer and ASCO, for me. I’d buy these blades under either of those names … both Platinum and Super Stainless. Meanwhile, it’s the Lord Classic and the Silver Star Super Stainless that really stand out for smoothness and sharpness, respectively and the Lord Platinum Class that is the finest of them all."

I come to the same conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom