How many different SE razors were made?

Chaps, I have been wondering if there is a comprehensive listing somewhere of all the various SE and Injector type razors which have been made?
I'm shaving almost exclusively with SE razors now and want to broaden my shaving horizons and probably collection :icon_razz:

I currently have two Ever Ready razors, a 1912 and a Shovelhead. Just wondering what to look for next.

Greetings

That's a question that I doubt anybody could answer. When you take into account all the sub models of some razors the total would likely run into a couple of hundred. There are probably sixty or seventy reasonably common types.

Regards
Dick.

One area to try is the hollow ground blade - there are probably lots of variations on a theme, but the Heljestrand shown below is typical - I also have a Le Grelot that takes the same blade. They usually come with some form of strop mechanism so, if you can find a friendly honer (I've been known to hone them as a favour to members), you have everything needed.

They are slightly more aggressive than your usual SE but by no means uncomfortable, and you experience a wonderful sound as the blade cuts.

In fact this is Le Grelot

The Heljestrand is on the left below.

If you were very interested, you can buy a Razor Compendium by Waits. Very informative. Yes, there are, literally hundreds.

The GEM blades fit GEM, Ever Ready and the Wilkinson Sword Pall Mall model (I think). Remove the spine and you can use them in the Wilkinson Sword Empire and the Valet VB1/VC2 ... and the AutoStrop 7 O'Clock (see my recent restoration post).

There are probably more, but they're the main ones you're going to find readily for sale or auction.

UKRob said:
One area to try is the hollow ground blade - there are probably lots of variations on a theme, but the Heljestrand shown below is typical - I also have a Le Grelot that takes the same blade. They usually come with some form of strop mechanism so, if you can find a friendly honer (I've been known to hone them as a favour to members), you have everything needed.

They are slightly more aggressive than your usual SE but by no means uncomfortable, and you experience a wonderful sound as the blade cuts.

In fact this is Le Grelot

The Heljestrand is on the left below.

Greetings Rob

The Le Grelot looks in smashing order! You've kept that one 'under wraps'!

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings Rob

The Le Grelot looks in smashing order! You've kept that one 'under wraps'!

Regards
Dick.

Thanks Dick, it's a lovely razor and really didn't need much work. I did clean the blade that came with it but there is pitting along the edge so not worth trying to hone. Fortunately, the Heljestrand blades are a perfect fit and I have a seven day set of those in excellent working condition.

Back
Top Bottom