SHAVING-GEAR-ONE-OCT-24.jpg

SHAVING-GEAR-TWO-OCT-24.jpg

CHEAP_CHINESE_RAZORS.jpg

CHINESE_CHEAPIE_RAZORS.jpg

CHEAP_SHAVING_GEAR.jpg

QSHAVE_ADJUSTABLE_RAZOR.jpg

RAZOR_BLADES_AND_TRAVEL_GROOMING_KIT.jpg

SHAVING-KIT.jpg

Hello there - I`m Johnny from Manchester NW England - I`ve been shaving since `78 - mostly cheapie BIC disposables, Gillette GII`s, a Braun battery foil and a 2-head battery Phillishave from the 80`s and 90`s.
I used antique straights in Israel and Egypt - sometimes with no water in the West Bank and Hurghada- used veg oil and booze - stropped with toothpaste on a leather belt.
Then I got sick of disposables and expensive supermarket cartridge junk and went back to DE safety razors.
I`m a Russian and can shave with anything - drunk or sober but lately I`ve got some treats for myself - Treet Black carbons which go rusty if not on top of a rad after to dry thoroughly - in piccy and I have some Lieres carbons as well.
I`m old fashioned - I love carbon knives and scissors as well - especially artisanal English or Japanese - I love med preps and Feathers but today I shaved with a Chinese no brand razor with a no brand blade - no writing on them anywhere but, however there was one redeeming feature - a stainless Yaqi best of both head - it`s the short blue handled one - 6th from the left.
The black head one 3rd from left with solid brass handle is another Yaqi best of both - closed and open comb on one head.
The 4th one from the left is a Chinese DScosmetic titanium handle with A Yaqi scalloped head.
The 5th one in from the left is a 4 piece 1930`s German brass/Stainless travel razor that bends and tensions the blade - only 40 grams that goes in the velvet lined square box to the far right.
The first one on the left is a cheapie with a S/S scalloped head and the one on the far right is a English vintage aluminium Gillette tech travel razor that goes in the bakelite box.
I like shaving butter and shaving oil and whipped soap but I can shave with washing up liquid, shampoo, conditioner, washing powder - anything if I have to - I was a poor student in the eighties and I`ve lived in a war zone so I`m not fussy and neither is my skin - thank goodness.
I swap heads because most of them are 5mm threads and interchangeable but I can use very mild or very aggressive razors - no problem.
I have a couple of Chinese adjustables which are great but the head is a bit chunky for under the nose haha !
At my age I don`t think my face is worth expensive razors and soaps - the colourful whipped soaps were gifts and the Poraso soaps were gifts.
I also stock up on Lord rainbow blades because they remind me of Alexandria and Cairo with my pet lizard on the wall and they`re cheap as chips
I don`t use a mirror or a shaving brush and can literally do it by feel - I love shaving in the dark or with my eyes closed in the bath but I have joined this forum to learn because I know nothing about brands or reputations.I have some travel kits too - you`ll burst out laughing at my junk - but I don`t care !
The vast majority of my stuff is second-hand or budget and frankly I can get jolly good results from them but I would like to try some proper shaving gear because I never did it before and would like an easier life if poss.

SHAVING-TABLE-TACKLE.jpg

KITCHEN_SHAVING_TACKLE_TWO.jpg

SHAVING_TACKLE_BAGS.jpg

LARGE_JETFLAME_BUTANE_TORCH.jpg

Thank you WiffWaff and TobyC for the warm welcome - got a tiny bit more kit - for when the SHTF haha !
All my trash is dire compared to you seasoned pro`s - I am not Worthy (quite) lol !
I am not a workman who blames his tools for a bad job - I do the best I can with what I have !
I`ve only been collecting shaving tackle a year and a bit - I like to buy kit in bulk so I don`t have to nip to the shops for supplies all the time.
Oh this is why I`m called Johnny-no-socks - I`ve not worn them for 25 years - even in Haugsund, Norway or St. Petersburg, Russia.
When I was a kid I jumped in the sea at Whitby, Yorkshire - when it was snowing in November - compared to Russia - NE England is warm - like Bermuda - which I lived there - prefer Africa and the Med though - I like it 107 at midnight !

Last edited:
Hello Johnny.

Looks like you are already one of us. This is where you belong, here with your fellow collectors/hoarders.

Post up in the SOTD section if you can.
Bob_The_Iron_scarecrow_-_Garden.jpg

Oh my god - I`ve always had hobbies - radios, shortwave, puters, rally cars and supercharged sleepers, books, music, playing sax, doing herbalism and phytopharmacology, High End hi-fi`s - International sales in HK and Macau, oh I have about 500-600 knives and scissors - I used to forge in China and Yorkshire many years ago. Oh parapolitical journalism - bit dodgy now !
Sorry just landed - don`t know what the SOTD section is - yet - lol !

Last edited:
Oh By George I think I may have got it - SOTD - Shave of the Day ?
I am not scientific or OCD though ( waste of time ) - I`m Russian and I shave on voddy or rectified 98% vol Polish spirit ( when I go on booze runs ) - and sharpen drill bits with a grinder on Carlsberg Special Brew - blame that ! - Health and Safety - What`s That? Haha !
I have a few budget razors and blades and heads to play swapsies with - plus new whipped soap and shaving butter so lots of different permutations and situations - I don`t go home from work the same way every day and I never have the same meal twice - don`t do recipes or cookbooks - I feed the homeless - variety is the spice of life !

Welcome aboard! Nice shave den, that! Digging the Wilkinson Sword Classic all metal version.
MICHAEL_MAY_4.jpg

Thanks pjgh I like plastic ones and metal ones and I love the people and "Sharpies" from Sheffield - like this Michael May bespoke.
I think Wilkinson Sword NOS vintage blades are fabulous ( they last and last and last ) and they collaborated with Gillette in the States because they were a tiny firm in the 60`s if I`m not mistaken.
I got the Wilkinson Sword Stainless Classic for under a tenner new c/w 10 W/S blades - all inc - bargain.
I`m not too far away in Manchester.
Sheffield.jpg

Love the Peak District - Here`s Sheffield !

Last edited:
Oh my god - I`ve always had hobbies - radios, shortwave, puters, rally cars and supercharged sleepers, books, music, playing sax, doing herbalism and phytopharmacology, High End hi-fi`s - International sales in HK and Macau, oh I have about 500-600 knives and scissors - I used to forge in China and Yorkshire many years ago. Oh parapolitical journalism - bit dodgy now !
Sorry just landed - don`t know what the SOTD section is - yet - lol !

Yes Johnny, you are one of us!

Haha Thanks donnie_arko ( is that a lovely trad Turkish tallow soap ? ) haha !
Only gotta a 3-bed terraced gaff with a bathroom the size of a caravan privy so I had to have a hobby that nearly fitted into two leather toiletry bags !
KITCHEN_DE_RAZOR.jpg

I shaved in my 12` x 9 ` kitch today - got a razor on the windowsill - nowhere else for it !

Back
Top Bottom