Is it razor burn?

I've noticed I get almost microscopic flecks of skin on my cheeks after shaving, like the blade has maybe ripped the hair out and pulled some skin with it. It's like a tiny white stubble but looking with a magnifying mirror, it appears that the skin is hanging off my face. I've tried various blades and creams shaving with a Merkur 33C but always get the same outcome. Am I being too picky or is there something wrong with what I'm doing/using?

I'm not sure its razor burn, unless you feel the razor burn?

I used to have the same thing, but ever since I have taken to applying an aftershave splash or balm after shaving, this has disappeared. I used to just apply Thayers Medicated whitch hazel, but still I would have these tiny flecks from time to time.

My guess is that it's more linked to dry skin, but other members with more knowledge than me might be able to describe it better. I just know that AS / ASB works for me.

/Max

Sounds like it's not razor burn then, but what is it? I'm not getting nicks or cuts, just these tiny white flecks of skin hanging from the hole that the hair was cut from.

mark68 said:
Sounds like it's not razor burn then, but what is it? I'm not getting nicks or cuts, just these tiny white flecks of skin hanging from the hole that the hair was cut from.

Sounds like plague. Or leprosy. Had any major body parts falling off of late?

I had similar flecks a few months ago, but traced it back to some new towels leaving very fine fluff on my stubble after patting my face dry between a cold rinse and application of witch hazel. I thought for a bit that it may have been the witch hazel precipitating wax from Nanny's soap; I emailed Sharon about it and she lathered up her own face trying to replicate the flecks. After all her effort, I felt very guilty telling her that swapping back to the old towel stopped the flecks. :oops:

panzanella said:
I had similar flecks a few months ago, but traced it back to some new towels leaving very fine fluff on my stubble after patting my face dry between a cold rinse and application of witch hazel. I thought for a bit that it may have been the witch hazel precipitating wax from Nanny's soap; I emailed Sharon about it and she lathered up her own face trying to replicate the flecks. After all her effort, I felt very guilty telling her that swapping back to the old towel stopped the flecks. :oops:

Post of the week! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Photo required I think for a full diagnoses.

My first thought was dry skin. You may need to look at products with more moisturising properties.

Which I get but only after a while, if I don't use a good moisturiser. Not straight after a shave. Also, as someone else mentioned, try an exfoliant once a week. I know this does happen when you shave, other bacteria and things get removed when doing this. Or so we are led to believe.

I noticed after my shave this morning a similar thing. I will try a few different things to see if it changes. I know I have dry skin, which is probably what it is. After my shave I use Trumpers Skin food, then moisturiser which then clears or covers up the problem.

Tomorrow morning I will try a exfoliant before my shave and report back for you.

My guess is that it's a mix of dry-ish skin and the exfoliation of your skin while shaving.

I get it a little on my cheeks but not enough to bother me as it usually goes an hour or so after washing.

If I read what your saying correctly, I have had this problem. The issue was with the ATG stroke. The problem was the way the hairs grow and how I was tackling the problem.
Anyway, what was happening was that on the ATG stroke, the razor was pulling the hairs up, and while that happened, the skin came with the razor and hair. Of course, the hairs were cut, but not before the skin was pulled up. Basically, the skin was ripped upwards due to how the razor was cutting the hairs.

Solution: Change the stroke. Instead of attacking the hairs straight on, I attacked them slightly diagonal. Not a XTG pass, but a hybrid between XTG & ATG. Got close, but by changing the stroke, the hairs were no longer being pulled upward, taking the skin with it. Instead, its just a clean cut.

Hope that works for you as it did for me.

Back
Top Bottom