JULY 2021 ACQUISITIONS

What The Fuck Wtf GIF by Originals

Deodorant?!? What do you think this is? The Armpit Room? I joke - all grooming (except sexual and morally abhorrent) is welcome.
But you're (sexually and morally abhorrent). :poop:

I am pretty chuffed with myself here ...

My Dad says to me that he could do with an open comb razor that's like his Merkur 37C, one that screws up from the far end. Immediately, I'm thinking of the #77 (or was it #88?) or an Aristocrat, or something. Mucho money, anyway and more than he'd be happy about shaving with. Fatip? Yeah, possibly.

Then I get to thinking ...

I'm sure Merkur themselves make an open comb with a setup like the M37C or M34. The M11C! Yes! Ah ... discontinued! A friendly chap here points me at an Italian vendor (who won't ship to the UK) who has one listed in their shop ... after some discussion, it transpires that they don't actually have any in stock anyway.

eBay finally comes up trumps ...

AM-JKLWsN4Kld762bEncIlXVmvBQ_HG33QjGpUY5iUjf5Zv07TzXFxCRRxjCZk_s899jqpqUs-8IWkGTFir_sAMVbvwS0cKdNa3dLQwy9WbN7tAfP9imuOZjKBWX9T0NsI1pikLOKu29ldSg6VcAHjpliPeV0g=s800

Mmmm ...scummy! But the working end is fine, and I think it will clean up ...

I have to say, it's the first time I've used a Brillo pad on a vintage razor. After an hour soaking in bicarb and vinegar it still wasn't coming clean, so onto some abrasives. My usual polish wasn't quite getting it, so blob of polish on a Brillo pad and it's starting to come clean. More of that and I'm finally starting to see what I want to see.

AM-JKLWzyZV3ZxYoZxK7ckLtxjGRa8y_hLhgyjK08axs0Eot11osBl4NNrEaXKQoV3ktzFXXNvcISAV640M9nL9zh5WRnxhGT75JzyY3ZuhRaxJzXvMOwVpQh7RuUGijB1qCKblruchwqeeRS7UglWGQKiFgbw=w1739-h1200

As I said, I am pretty chuffed with myself here. I do need to go at it with a cocktail stick under a magnifier as I think there is still some guff on the screw end. It's hard to see (even under magnification), but I think someone has had this in a vice? Maybe it was properly gubbed up and they had to resort to mechanical efforts to release the razor.

Either way, it'll do fine now as a usable razor. Sure my Dad will be pleased.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom