Just a thought for newbys

As a newby who has done a lot of research on DE shaving including the brilliant Mantic videos, one thing I have noticed is although they always state shave with the grain. Spot on of course but Mantic & the chap from the Hungerford barbers shave down the cheeks and then down the neck on the first pass ie with the grain, however I wonder how many people realise that wtg on the neck can actually mean shaving up and not down. I wonder if reading some of the comments on sore necks is because they have followed the video instructions with ought actually checking which direction there hair actually grows in???
I used to wonder why I always found it easy to shave up my neck and yet had seen people shaving down which I found uncomfortable, now I know of course!!!! :hungrig

I have at least three posts pointing out that very fact, others have posted the same tip when helping young 'uns.

Always good to have another reminder though.

joe mcclaine said:
I have at least three posts pointing out that very fact, others have posted the same tip when helping young 'uns.

Thanks for that, my research was not as good as I thought then :hungrig
Still they do say it is the journey that helps, or words to that effect I think.

Everybody's face is different. The hair on my neck runs horizontally, for example. Mapping your beard is an important thing to do when you begin DE shaving.

Ian

joe mcclaine said:

:oops: I'd missed them all in my reading :oops:

mind you I've read that much on shaving in the last few days that I've given up once or twice, too much information :roll:

razor didn't arrive today, fingers crossed for tomorrow :!:

Mantic definitely mentions beard mapping on one of his early videos although he also includes a N to S default shaving pattern which might cause irritation for some.

antdad said:
Mantic definitely mentions beard mapping on one of his early videos although he also includes a N to S default shaving pattern which might cause irritation for some.
That was my point if you just watch the video even though beard mapping is spoken about, in all the initial excitement easy to just copy what Mantic is doing. Ok if your growth on the neck is the same as his, but a bummer if that is not the case :hungrig

man of leisure said:
I think that what was I was trying to get across, so much information for newbys to take in that sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees.

I'm stood in the middle of the forest at the moment :roll:

but getting there slowly but surely :lol:

placed an order yesterday for more supplies, trying different suppliers ;)

baz chaz said:
man of leisure said:
I think that what was I was trying to get across, so much information for newbys to take in that sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees.

I'm stood in the middle of the forest at the moment :roll:

but getting there slowly but surely :lol:

placed an order yesterday for more supplies, trying different suppliers ;)
Loving it :hungrig

I have a patch of beard under my jaw bown, about 2 inches square that grows in a few directions. It seems to be a family thing as my dad has the same patch in nearly exactly the same place.

For me, a N/S pass over the rest of my face will pretty much follow with the grain. It took me a while to realise why I had some red weepers, now I have adjusted my method everything is fine.

DE shaving for me is about error reduction, first the technique of holding the razor, proper lather, right blade, angle and directoion of attack, my time is spent working on one of these at a time until I feel that the shave has become more comfortable. Parhaps it is a bit of OCD coming out. I'll get my coat.

Blades said:
I have tried figuring out which direction my hair grows..damn its complicated!... :lol:
So I just go in various directions :shave

B

I share your pain. Every direction I shave beneath the jawline is WTG / XTG & ATG all at the same time.

I've tried mapping my neck many times, but amazingly enough, my neck hairs are quite chaotic. No matter how many directions I shave over any number of passes, I will have a few areas of stubble that ain't goin' to be whupped completely.

I generally don't even try for a Total BBS any more, but a I get a Near BBS most days.

JohnnyO said:
Any cold water shaver in this weather deserves wholehearted applause U/Hermit , no matter how close or otherwise the shave is !

JohnnyO. :eek:

• I had a lovely, fresh menthol shave today, Johnny; with Everest SC & ASCs (by Kalina)
      • Enduring Canadian winters for 4 decades helps one with such things, perhaps?[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom