Just bought first Straight - anyone care to hone for me? :P

So bought a Sheffield made vintage Straight from Ebay, from pictures it seems to have small damage, couple of small chips at the most, as this is completely new to me was wondering is anyone does a free honing, stropping service so I can get used to having a few shaves with it before having a pop myself.

Thanks a lot.

CozzyB

Re: Just bought first Straight - anyone care to hone for me?

This is the ebay incase anyone wondered
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170606672730" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0606672730</a><!-- m -->

The photo on the auction is far too small to see the extent of the damage. There is definitely something going on at the blade edge; either serious damage or just image compression artifacts; it is difficult to see. If the former, then this looks like a very time-consuming restoration project (if it is possible). You will pay several times the auction price to get it shaveable.

Good luck!

EDIT: In fact, it looks like there is a crack at the point. If that's the case, then it looks like a write-off to me.

peg20 said:
The photo on the auction is far too small to see the extent of the damage. There is definitely something going on at the blade edge; either serious damage or just image compression artifacts; it is difficult to see. If the former, then this looks like a very time-consuming restoration project (if it is possible). You will pay several times the auction price to get it shaveable.

Good luck!

EDIT: In fact, it looks like there is a crack at the point. If that's the case, then it looks like a write-off to me.

you must have better eyes then me, just looked like a scratch to me which would be mostly cosmetic, will see when it gets there.
Seller only mentioned light damage/scuffs so if it is cracked will just put a claim in with paypal.

A free honing and stropping service? Now why didn't I think of asking that. :shock: :lol:

Neil? Andy? Wanna work for free?

cozzyb said:
So bought a Sheffield made vintage Straight from Ebay, from pictures it seems to have small damage, couple of small chips at the most, as this is completely new to me was wondering is anyone does a free honing, stropping service so I can get used to having a few shaves with it before having a pop myself.

Thanks a lot.

CozzyB

Well Neil charges £12.75 to hone a razor with no major damage, plus you pay to post it to him...............or you could have got this one off him and its ready to go........

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/6%7C8_Vintage_Kropp_Straight_Razor_KROPP-05" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/6%7 ... r_KROPP-05</a><!-- m -->

Cozzy, there are a small number of amateur honers here and it's possible someone will volunteer just for the experience, but if I was you and that was my first straight I'd want it done perfectly by a professional (no offence amateur honers!!). Straight razor shaving is tricky enough to start with, without the possibility that your edge isn't sharp. :shock:

well if any amateurs here were willing to try I would appreciate it very much, then I will know roughly how it should shave for when I have a go myself.

Pig Cat said:
Cozzy, there are a small number of amateur honers here and it's possible someone will volunteer just for the experience, but if I was you and that was my first straight I'd want it done perfectly by a professional (no offence amateur honers!!). Straight razor shaving is tricky enough to start with, without the possibility that your edge isn't sharp. :shock:

I agree with PC, first straight needs to have a perfect edge, otherwise you either get dicouraged or drop it all together.

Max

Hopefully that is dirt but I would recommend posting detailed pics when you get it.

FWIW I've seen the occasional offer from people on SRP to hone a razor for free for someone local but its not common.

Arrowhead said:
Pig Cat said:
...no offence amateur honers!!
None taken Adam :evil: If you ever fancy living dangerously though, I'll do yours for a special rate :twisted:

Yes I know what happened to the last fellow you charged a 'special rate' to. They found that painting in his attic - him as a wizened old man. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom