Karve Overlander vs Tatara Masamune, or alternatives?

Karve Overlander vs Tatara Masamune (for my preferences)

• Karve Overlander

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Tatara Masamune

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Hi All,

I think the time may have come to get an upgrade! I started with a Merkur 34c but have been shaving a few years with a Rockwell 6C on plate 4. Contrary to popular opinion, I've never found the 6C to be particularly smooth (granted I haven't tried many razors and certainly nothing more aggressive than a 6 plate Rockwell). The Merkur was hands down smoother for me.

I've stuck with the Rockwell because i go several days without shaving and I prefer the efficiency, however, I'd ideally like to get the smoothness of the 34c with the efficiency of the Rockwell 4 plate. I haven't had enough experience to say for sure, but it's possible blade feel that I'm not liking as much.

Anyway, from my research there seems to be 2 stand out candidates so far: the Karve Overlander and Tatara Masamune. I know there's the Karve CB but it seems to me that the Overlander does exactly what I'd be wanting to achieve with the CB. I don't want to venture too mild in efficiency so something like the Gamechanger 68 is out (84 I'm pretty sure would be too aggressive).

I'm very interested in hearing opinions of those that have tried both the Overlander and Masamune, and how suitable you think it may be for someone with my preferences? I'm also of course interested to hear about alternatives in this bracket.

Thanks as always, in advance.

I think the Masamune might be a step milder than R4 on the Rockwell? Been a while since I tried it in the Passaround. The Masamune top cap nodachi base plate was the sweet spot for me. I think if you like R4, we’re have similar tastes for mid-aggression.

The overlander is very good but I didn’t love it, I found the head a little bulky. I owned both the brass and SS variants, neither lasted in the den. These razors might fit your remit:
1) Aylsworth Apex - very nice shaver and I’d say close to R4 but more efficient than Overlander.
2) Alpha Outlaw evo - maybe R4/5 but very smooth shaver, in my top 3 razors.
3) Lambda Athena - R4 and a beautiful looking razor too.

Of course YMMV. Don’t discount the gamechanger - there is a 0.76 plate which might work for you (never tried it but found the 0.84 a little aggressive)

I have some experience with both of those razors and I don't think either of them are what you're looking for.

If you shave every other day, the Nodachi would be better but it does have some blade feel. Are you specifically after an artisinal razor? A few alternatives to consider:

Merkur Progress - there's a reason this razor is still going strong 60+ years after its inception

Supply Single Edge - not much use if you've got a massive DE blade stash but the shaves are very comfortable and I think this will do what you want it to do.

Game Changer. 76 - occasionally available from Shaving Time. Hits the sweet spot between the 68 and 84 - which makes sense, mathematically!

As you can already see from this post and @Borygmi , there are many many options and opinions.

I think the Masamune might be a step milder than R4 on the Rockwell? Been a while since I tried it in the Passaround. The Masamune top cap nodachi base plate was the sweet spot for me. I think if you like R4, we’re have similar tastes for mid-aggression.

The overlander is very good but I didn’t love it, I found the head a little bulky. I owned both the brass and SS variants, neither lasted in the den. These razors might fit your remit:
1) Aylsworth Apex - very nice shaver and I’d say close to R4 but more efficient than Overlander.
2) Alpha Outlaw evo - maybe R4/5 but very smooth shaver, in my top 3 razors.
3) Lambda Athena - R4 and a beautiful looking razor too.

Of course YMMV. Don’t discount the gamechanger - there is a 0.76 plate which might work for you (never tried it but found the 0.84 a little aggressive)

Hi Jed, thanks for the input. I almost tagged you in the original post as you always seem to give me great advice! I'll check those razors out.

I appreciate your advice on the Masamune. I wasn't sure exactly where it sat vs Rockwell. I've a few people saying the nodachi top cap was a fair bit more agressive, but maybe that just means the razor is milder than I originally thought.

We do indeed appear to have similar tastes (I note your preference for R3 plate on Rockwell). And yes - I do have a good memory! :D

Thanks again.

I have some experience with both of those razors and I don't think either of them are what you're looking for.

If you shave every other day, the Nodachi would be better but it does have some blade feel. Are you specifically after an artisinal razor? A few alternatives to consider:

Merkur Progress - there's a reason this razor is still going strong 60+ years after its inception

Supply Single Edge - not much use if you've got a massive DE blade stash but the shaves are very comfortable and I think this will do what you want it to do.

Game Changer. 76 - occasionally available from Shaving Time. Hits the sweet spot between the 68 and 84 - which makes sense, mathematically!

As you can already see from this post and @Borygmi , there are many many options and opinions.

Thanks for that. What's your experience with the Overlander?

I don't need artisinal no, just something that feels a bit milder than Rockwell plate 4, but with greater or equal efficiency. I was hoping a higher budget than I've had previously may get me there. The only thing I don't really want to do is go down the adjustable route.

I had a perception that the two I listed were generally better received than the gamechanger, but I'll do further reading on that considering you've both mentioned it.

edit: and yes, several lifetimes worth of DE blades at my disposal!!

Last edited:
I’d do a custom build Nodachi Cap with Masamune plate. Will give you efficiency without the blade feel of the Nodachi.

Be worth seeing if you can try it though.

Thanks for that. What's your experience with the Overlander?

I don't need artisinal no, just something that feels a bit milder than Rockwell plate 4, but with greater or equal efficiency. I was hoping a higher budget than I've had previously may get me there. The only thing I don't really want to do is go down the adjustable route.

I had a perception that the two I listed were generally better received than the gamechanger, but I'll do further reading on that considering you've both mentioned it.

edit: and yes, several lifetimes worth of DE blades at my disposal!!
A bigger budget won't buy you a better shave but it may enhance your shaves from a perceived value perspective- hopefully that makes some sense.

It's always hard to recommend razors as we each have different tastes. I've waxed lyrical about some that others have hated.

I disliked the Overlander due to the suction/drag I felt from it. It's my pet hate. It doesn't bother other people. Karve make very good razors though. The joy of the Christopher Bradley variant is that you can get a daily shavers kit with your choice of plates which gives you more chance of finding what works for you.

See that? I've just recommended another razor in the space of a single post! There's never any stability in this game...

• Haha
Reactions: ATG
@Rapid I'd suggest shimming the Merkur 34C, and possibly the R3 plate. You could also try what I call a shim sandwich, where you put a shim both above and underneath the actual blade.
It makes some razors smoother, and allows you to experiment a little with what you have already.

You could also check whether the blade touches the top cap with the Rockwell on plate 4 - if it doesn't, you can either pull or push the blade toward the top cap while tightening the razor to get more blade into the head. It'll be a small amount, but it might be enough to make the razor feel a touch milder and smoother. Sometimes it can affect efficiency either positively or negatively. It varies by razor head design.
You can also pre-bend a blade around e.g. a pencil or a thicker cable. You just need to make sure to centre it well before bending it.

Reactions: ATG
I've not tried the two you mention, but it sounds like you are looking for somethjng:

Well made
Effective
Not overly aggressive
Smooth

Have you considered the Rocca or the 3ONE6?

There's also the Outlaw, but my (older) version is more aggressive than those.

Back
Top Bottom