Le Tour

One of the special delights of retirement is the opportunity to follow great sporting events.

I've taken an interest in Le Tour for many years now. It has produced some amazing moments. Now that Mark Cavendish is around, I can even get to see some compelling action at the finish involving a local rider. The closing moments of a flat stage dominated by the sprinters is one of the most dramatic spectacles in sport. So if you can, tune in to Eurosport soon after 4pm today.

I say, do away with the drug tests, pump 'em all full of Deca, D'bol, Winny and Sust and lets see just how fast they can go. In fact go the whole hog and mix that with Clenbuterol and see how long they can go for.

The Tour is the biggest (I think by any measure) and finest annual sporting spectacle in the world. It was bigger even than than the World Cup or Olympics up until the '70s and might still be. I suspect both of those events have overtaken it in terms of money now.

My preference is for the mountains, especially the mountain top finishes. But I agree the bunch sprints are superb as well.

Yesterday' s stage finish on the Tourmalet was amazing. I've ridden over the Tourmalet a handful of times and know how steep and long it is. The way the top riders race up there at the end of a brutal stage (and after thousands of km) is awe inspiring.

After the dullness of the World Cup, it's compelling viewing.

People always mention drugs because of the trouble the Tour has had. But all sports where big money is involved are riddled with drug use as well. They are managing to keep it quieter that's all. Tour riders have an excuse that other sportsmen/women don't have - it's so bloody hard that they need the drugs to do it!

There are two or three of us at work that are following it vs hundreds that followed the World Cup.
Although it would be good to have a bike/bike racing culture like Belgium/France/Italy where everyone gets it, it is cool to be in such a minority. A bit like proper shaving :)

If you understand the tactics and races within the race then you see bike racing, and especially the Tour, in a different way. And understand it's enduring popularity in Europe. And if you have ever done any hard riding or racing yourself then you can go some way to guessing the pain and suffering involved which makes it compelling in a slightly sick way.

And as Fido says, what other sport has the Alps or Pyrenees as it's backdrop?
Beats a sports stadium which looks the same the world over.

No other sport comes close.

bean said:
If you understand the tactics and races within the race then you see bike racing, and especially the Tour, in a different way. And understand it's enduring popularity in Europe. And if you have ever done any hard riding or racing yourself then you can go some way to guessing the pain and suffering involved which makes it compelling in a slightly sick way.

Ive done plenty of hard riding. Its boring watching it, honestly. And alot of people that have done alot of the cycling think the same.
Now, track racing i can sit and watch, long tour races, no.
Infact, when ive been to watch bike races the most interesting thing is the support cars that absolutely fly around after the group.
Ive time trialled, and ive done long days in the saddle in a group, and chain gangs, never done proper road racing though.
Its boring, sorry, it just is.

1gear said:
bean said:

Ive done plenty of hard riding. Its boring watching it, honestly. And alot of people that have done alot of the cycling think the same.
Infact, when ive been to watch bike races the most interesting thing is the support cars that absolutely fly around after the group.
Ive time trialled, and ive done long days in the saddle in a group, and chain gangs, never done proper road racing though.

It all depends how you watch these things. I turn on the TV around mid afternoon during Le Tour and drift in and out doing other things most of the time. But I know when things are due to happen. That way I get the best of all worlds. I follow this approach with several sports I follow. I couldn't just sit and watch anything for hours on end.That I would find boring. But we are all different!

1gear said:
bean said:

Boring to you.
The Tour is watched by more people than any other sporting event. Millions of people disagree so I have some numbers behind me when I say you are wrong ;-)

You've never raced. Most who have (all in my experience) prefer watching road racing to track racing. Track racing isn't big in the countries where cycling is popular. Most cycling fans aren't that fussed about it. There is no money in it for that reason.

Road racing is the 'blue ribbon' variant of competitive cycling. Where the best riders are and where the money is. Because there's much more to it. Track racing is like draughts compared to road racing's chess, especially grand tours, because of the tactics and team play and how fortunes can shift.

Time trialling is boring. To do and watch unless it's part of a grand Tour and something hangs on it.
Time trialists are usually boring too.

bean said:
1gear said:
bean said:

Boring to you.
The Tour is watched by more people than any other sporting event. Millions of people disagree so I have some numbers behind me when I say you are wrong ;-)

You've never raced. Most who have (all in my experience) prefer watching road racing to track racing. Track racing isn't big in the countries where cycling is popular. Most cycling fans aren't that fussed about it. There is no money in it for that reason.

Road racing is the 'blue ribbon' variant of competitive cycling. Where the best riders are and where the money is. Because there's much more to it. Track racing is like draughts compared to road racing's chess, especially grand tours, because of the tactics and team play and how fortunes can shift.

Time trialling is boring. To do and watch unless it's part of a grand Tour and something hangs on it.
Time trialists are usually boring too.

Time trialists are some of the most anal and boring people in cycling, talking about how much time they are saving by this new front wheel, which is normally a few seconds.
Time trialling i dont find too boring though, get into a nice rhythm, especially on fixed and you can just go, but you can spend the whole time just keeping on watching the clock. Doing a team time trial, now that can be abit more fun with working as a 2 or whatever.
Road racing never really appealed to me, i cant really be bothered to ride with a load of twats who cant hold a line and take out peoples front wheels. Someone a few years younger then me does it, and has had his front wheel taken out so many times.
Im not wrong though, its my opinion that its boring so im obviously right.
Oh, and your wrong about the best riders are in road riding. Cavendish started off on the track, and he is quite a good rider.
And, most are on drugs or take some illegal supplements at some stage. Some of the best UK riders take testosterone in winter to bump them up for the summer.
Another pro said that he only got caught because he forgot to drink a litre of water at the right time.
I suppose its who you talk to though, i know people who spend hours watching bike racers, but then i know people who race and dont watch any of it.

Although i think i can safely say that caravaners and motorhomers are one of the most boring people you can talk to. Glider pilots are also very boring.

Back
Top Bottom