Merkur Barber Pole?

hey there everyone,
i am very eager to order a new razor and was looking into this one...can anyone give me any insite on it if you have used it or heard anything about it? anything would be great. thanks
here is a link to the razor
http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-Red-Color-Barber-Pole-Razor.html

Just noticed your post..sorry for the late response..

I have a Barberpole Merkur...though its on loan to my Son at the moment..

I chose the longer handle as I thought it would be better for me...but having used the razor I can't help but think I'd have been better with the shorter handled version...my hands are quite small..if you have big hands it will likely be ideal..
The razor is surprisingly heavy if you are used to shaving with a cartridge...and the shave I found to be close and quite aggressive..(for me at any rate).....The quality is the usual merkur build...Bullet proof, but lacking in fine finish of the metalwork under the chrome...having said that, it doesn't detract in any way from the performance and if looked after will easily last several lifetimes I would think....the fact that it is a two piece makes it very easy to change the blade, simply by twiddling the knob at the bottom of the handle.....

With practice you get the shaving angle right, it will give BBS shaves every time...I would use a good quality soap MWF or Palmolive for their lubricity....

I have since bought the Merkur 33C..a three piece variant ...lighter in weight with a shorter handle and a similar head...the heads look the same but I find the 33c to be a slightly milder shave, ..perhaps because it's lighter in weight.....Personally if I had to chose between them I would plump for the 33c...apart from the fact its cheaper...I prefer the shave and its very easy to clean being a three piece....I give all my razors a gentle scrub with a soft nail brush that I keep especially for the purpose after each usage...

I think Goldcrest sums it up nicely. Weight is good, the head is good with abit of bite to it, finish could be better. It's a fine enough razor but you do have to ask yourself if long handles are for you, people with big, beefy hands tend to do well with long handles. Everyone else (and I mean everyone, I have huge hands but fairly slim) tands to prefer a shorter handle.

Do you already own any Merkurs or is this your first?

I have this razor (well, I actually have the blue handled one) and I love it. It was the first DE razor I bought and it performs wonderfully well.

I don't have particularly large hands, but I have no issues with the handle or the weightiness - it is indeed much heavier than the Gillette cartridge razors I used before, but that is largely a good thing as I feel I have better control as I let the weight do the work.

Many have stated on here that it is quite aggressive and not a beginners razor, but I found it quite easy to get a grip of as a beginner. I have quite a bad Cream Acquisition Disorder, but I feel the reason I haven't developed a Razor AD is simply because this razor is so good.

I did eventually add a second razor because I wanted a bit of variety (Merkur 39C Slant) and longer term I might add a razor or two as a bit of variety, but if I was told I could only use one DE razor the rest of my life, I'd be more than satisfied if that Razor was this one.

You could try the Long Handled Classic by Merkur which is lighter. I have the 25C though, but did nearly get the Barberpole last year when I was choosing my first DE razor. (Not technically correct - my first was the Wilkinson Classic 20 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom