Neil Millers strop shop...

I don´t know if this is the right place, but I feel I have to beat the trum for Neil Miller. Besides being a very nice chap, he also does absolutly wonderfull restores. It will be a long review, but I have an ingress if you don´t want to read everything :lol:

Ok, first some overall feedback: I sent Neil a bag of razors and when I got them back all looked freaking fantastic :D . Buffing is an art and he´s done a very good job, not to much have been removed, just enough. All of them have snugg scales, the blades centers very well and the blades looks truly great.

Mappin: I also bought/traded for this one and I love it. Very nice weight + balance and the transparent scales are very very nice, I was a little afraid how they would look irl ... But it´s a very good match indeed. I like her big time! :D

I also bought a vintage Roma strop, and it´s very nice too. Exactly how I would have liked it to be. The "fine" side seems very fine indeed. I pulled a couple laps with my
Törnblom, it´s a small straight and it shaves very nice, on the fine side and it was a very easy draw. I haven´t tried the sharpning side yet, but it seems more like a little rougher fine side, if you understand what I mean. That´s only mine two pennies though and maybe a poor reference for an absolut true picture on how it works, I´m afraid.

Helje 31 with new black horn scales ... WONDERFUL scales Neil, really. Like them a lot, they´re milky, dull (in a good way) and shiny at the same time, hard to describe
for me in english, but they´re very nice indeed!! Good thing you didn´t try to buff away all the scratches, it would have taken to much of the metal away, I think. Lovely and looking forward to try a no 31 :hungrig .

White Helje no 31: Very nice, some water spots but that´s no biggie at all, scales looks new... How did you do that? :D

Helje no 24, looks really good, can´t think of anything to say. I´ll try it and then I´ll see if it´s a keeper, I´m a little unsure about the size, but then again my Törnblom shaves like a champ :shave .

Johan Engström: Looks so nice and the blade has such a really cool shape now. I have high hopes for this one. I don´t know why though :), but I _think_ it´ll be a great shaver :D

Little black James Sheffield with barbers notch (prob. a 4/8): Looks great with shiny blade and scales, nice looking straight indeed.

Solingen with Swedish text: nice new scales, good pick of you Neil! I don´t get any strong feelings for this one though, but that has nothing to do with Neils work - nothing wrong there and I´m happy one still can read the text on the blade.

Old English Razor: Wow, what a good work Neil´ve done with the monkey tail, it was broken and in really bad shape, and now it looks like it´s never been anything wrong with it. I´m amazed. The scales are estupendo, I´m almost shocked that they´re in horn, I thought they where in plastic for sure. So nice!!

Neil´s an artisan when it comes to restoring razors and making leather work (I´ve got a very very nice Miller pouch too)! I think it would be cool to have "Miller" embeded into the leather aswell, I´m sure I think it would make the Miller trade mark stronger. But maybe he has tried that and it didn´t work?

One million thanks Neil, you´ra da straight razor man all the way (in my best american voice :))!!
Mikael

well, Neil, after all the hard work you´ve done it´s the least I can do. I´ll post some pictures later aswell, I´m so happy with the work you´ve done, really. Thank you!

Mikael said:
...I´ll post some pictures later as well...
Yes please, in fact it's compulsory ;)

Here's a pic of a formerly rather sad looking razor which got the Miller treatment:
Butlerobverse.jpg

Ok, here goes. Please don´t judge the razor from the pictures, I´m no pro by any means.

First a Mappin & Webb, this is Neils pick for me and he did her from scratch, new scaels and the hole deal (buffing and honing in mass)

Attachments

• Mappin 4.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 118
  • Mappin & webb 1.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 113
  • Mappin 3.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 113
Second an Old School Razor with bone scales (thought they where plastic first, but they´re not :D ). The monkey tail was really damaged/broken, but Neil fixed it good. It´s a good wedge to it too :D

Attachments

• OER 4.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 110
  • OER 3.jpg
  • OER 1.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 111
And he fixed new scales + restore + buffin + honing for this Heljestarnd no 31, in wonderfull black milky bone scales :hungrig :D

Attachments

• Helje 31 2.jpg
  • Helje 31.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 111
And also a Johan Engström, a very nice razor that I´m really found of. New scales + buffing + restore + honing. I love it! :D Also another pic of the Mappin & Webb, wich I shaved with this morning and it delivered big time. It shaved as good as any I have and am used too handle and this was the first time I used it :eek:. Now daddy is happy, his babies are home again, there are more, but now daddy is tired and needs to rest :D

Attachments

• Johan Engström.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 109
  • Mappin 2.jpg
Thank you... or thank you Neil :lol: . I shaved with the Joh. Engström this morning and it was a bliss. So smooth and close, it was so smooth I got a little careless, and thought I could handle it and of course got cocky, I liftet the blade and put it down to fast, got punished right away :oops: . No blood but a red line. It´s a SHARP blade too, not only smooth :D .

Heljestrand Mk no: 31. Orginal scales, but everything has been fully restored and honed. A lovely and very "clean" razor in my opinion.

Attachments

• Helje vit 3.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 47
  • Helje vit 2.jpg
  • Helje vit 1.jpg
Very nice razors neil did a great job on them.

As for it biting lol yup did exactly the same today, i should have stretched my lower neck better otherwise it can skip, oh yes sure as anything it bit in hard great edge though my neck can attest to this. :lol:

Yes, Neil has done a very good job, indeed and he´s such a nice chap aswell (no, I´m not keen on the guy, but if he was a she ... well, my wife would have something to worry about :lol: ). More pics tonight ... :)

Thanks for that Mikael - now I know that you have something in common with my wife: she isn't that keen on me either. Life is hard and then you die...

Regards,
Neil

Ha ha, I´m sure she have found feelings for you Neil ... She must have, otherwise she would have been much nicer to that guy who wanted to buy her for 1 000 camels :lol: .

Now, straights :D . This is a James Bingham that Neil restored, it was a crapy blade with a nice style before Neils work, now it´s a beautiful functional little razor. Well see for your self :D

Attachments

• James Bingham 2.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 36
  • James Bingham 4.jpg
  • James Bingham 1.jpg
Mikael said:
Ha ha, I´m sure she have found feelings for you Neil ... She must have, otherwise she would have been much nicer to that guy who wanted to buy her for 1 000 camels :lol: .

I often think back to that - I could have been basking in the sun with my lovely camels fondly nuzzling round me - damn that picky arab taxi driver! :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom