New Design Merkur 34c HD

Hmmm, that could mean they'll be updating the rest of their razors that have a similar base plate design.
The top caps were shared with the OC in the past as well, I think, so they might get an update eventually as well.

It would also be nice of them to change the model number, considering the changes are fairly substantial (or at least noticeable).

be interesting to see how this goes when it comes out.

I assume "blade tabs will be covered" means no blade overhang on the sides.
...my German is not great, but it seem's there will be no blade overhang and they are sticking with a zamak centre post after ditching the brass centre post several year's ago; which probably explains why replacement top cap for the 34c is now a fixture on Merkur's website.

Last edited:
I always thought that razor (the old version) was over-priced but it's so iconic I eventually bought one on special for just over £30 delivered. Not used it much but found it impossibly mild with a Personna Plantinum Chrome blade as recommended by some guy on youtube who sells them. (Move that blade to a 70's Tech and it was a great match.) Now have to find a blade that works with the 34c. Sad to hear they switched out the brass centre post. I guess they really did last a lifetime in the good old days.

thank you! I just posted this question before finding this post with the answer.

I really don't like the new design because I find it unsafe --- the blade will spin when the nut is loosened. This is unsafe and caused me to cut my thumb.

thank you! I just posted this question before finding this post with the answer.

I really don't like the new design because I find it unsafe --- the blade will spin when the nut is loosened. This is unsafe and caused me to cut my thumb.
It seems like you can address it with a change in technique - you could grab the top cap and the blade while loosening the handle, and then just keep holding it while you're rinsing it out.
However, it seems that you might like to consider tweaking your lather so it's easier to rinse out with the hair, or perhaps consider an open comb instead.

Yeah I probably can do that, but I will try to get my hands on one of the old models while I can. I have a beard / don't shave so often (but like the DE for the crisp boundary), so "hair filling up razor" is a very common occurrence worth optimizing.

Hopefully down the road Merkur sees the error in their ways.

Back
Top Bottom