New Straight Guy - Maybe?

tc1

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but have returned to DE shaving after many years of cartridge and (admittedly high end) electric razors.
So far so good!
But,as with all hobbies there is an addictive element and now I think it could be time with a birthday approaching to consider going "straight".
The question I pose is whether there really is any merit in choosing to purchase,say,a less expensive razor to start with or instead to just go for it and choose something I would want to keep and,hopefully,use for some time.
Any thoughts you may have would be very much appreciated.
Clearly,any damage done to me in implementing any advice given is down to me!

I think, in general, that vintage straigth razors are better than new ones. And I think you should try and get one of Neils bargain razors, when they re apear on his site.

I would say you should go for something 5/8 - 6/8 and 1/4-1/2 hollow and with a round point, but it can work with something else aswell.

6/8 is a nice size if you have medium size hands..5/8 if a bit smaller..and well..a wedge if you feel "brave".. :mrgreen:
Welcome to our forum and I hope you enjoy your "adventures"

Blades

Hello and thanks for the prompt replies.
Yes, I think I will keep looking at Neil's website to see what comes in.
Not sure whether "brave" describes my temperament as I grow older but the real point in shaving for me is to get as close a shave as possible (I should still probably shave twice a day) so I suspect that I will go the straight route in the next 2-3 months if suitable kit shows itself.

if your thinking bout a str8 razor..takes time n patience to "master" them...no time like the present to start I would say
:shave
Shave 2x a day!..my oh my! :shock:
Blades

I've only recently started shaving with a straight, so perhaps I can give you my point-of-view:

It wasn't at all clear to me that I'd get on with shaving with a straight razor. And an expensive razor that has been in the hands of a complete newbie is likely to fall in value at the same speed as a car. So buy your razor like you'd buy a car that you might want to sell on soon after purchase: Either buy a brand-new cheap one (eg. Dovo best quality from Steve) or buy a nicer, but "used" one from Neil (or another trusted seller). Don't go for a highly-sought after one (like a NOS Dubl Duck) or a brand-new expensive one.

I don't buy the argument that a newbie is more likely to ding a new razor -- I am paranoid about damaging my razors and I expect most sensible newbies are the same. I expect to get more careless as I get more confident and carefree with shaving. (Just like you stress over touching a new car, but having owned it for a few years come to accept the scratches it inevitably gets.)

However, I do buy the depreciation argument, and I also realise that I am more likely to blunt a razor through incorrect stropping resulting in the need to send it for rehoning a few times. I don't really want unnecessary hone wear on a "favourite" razor.

As for buying them; Neil seems a straight-up guy and should be a reliable place to get one (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk</a><!-- m -->). However, his stock has been quite low since the beginning of the year. The "bargain" section is probably the best place to get one from. But there's nothing in there at the moment. I'm afraid I don't recognise any of the names in the "vintage" section, so can't advise which one is best to get from there other than the usual advice (ie. 5/8-6/8, 1/4-1/2 ground, round point). Steve also has some restored vintage blades on his website (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk</a><!-- m -->) but again I don't recognise the names.

The other place I would recommend is looking in the classifieds section on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.straightrazorplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.straightrazorplace.com</a><!-- m --> Look for a seller with good feedback, or find one with some history on the site and read their posts. You can usually tell quite quickly which of them know how to look after a razor. Bear in mind that irrespective of what you pay to a US seller, if the razor is only "worth" £18, customs won't be worried by it. With the exchange rate what it is at the moment, you could get a good bargain.

EDIT: £18 is $28.87 for March using HMRC's exchange rate.

I concur with Mikael as far as vintage razors go: probably the majority of them will outperform most razors currently in production. I differ a little on the grind and would suggest a full (not extra) hollow to start out with.

If you're looking to dip your toe in the water before committing yourself to serious expenditure, I may well be able to help out, PM me if interested.

tc1 said:
Hello and thanks for the prompt replies.
Yes, I think I will keep looking at Neil's website to see what comes in.
Not sure whether "brave" describes my temperament as I grow older but the real point in shaving for me is to get as close a shave as possible (I should still probably shave twice a day) so I suspect that I will go the straight route in the next 2-3 months if suitable kit shows itself.

Hi Tc1
If you haven’t used straight razors before, I’d opt for shaving once in a couple of days or only on a weekend.

Trying to shave twice a day, I’d think will be too much for you. Your face needs to get used to using these types of razors, they are not like a cartridge, where you throw on some foam, give it a couple of swipes then you are done, but rather a couple of passes.

You’ll need to get to know your razor, how to hold it and you’ll need to get your technique right. To start with you may get razor burn or the odd nick. I don’t want you to be put off the idea (on the contrary) if you take it slowly and learn to master it, the chances are you will love this way of shaving and not look back.

Ps There are plenty of advice on here as well as videos on Youtube.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Blades said:
I wouldnt suggest a straight razor if your just going back to DE..more of a risk with any str8 compared to DE

B

Sometimes I don´t understand what you´re trying to say.

Will you get nicks when learning to shave with a straight, most likely yes and it´s exactly the same with a DE.

Hello.
Thanks once again for the input.
Just to avoid doubt,while I should probably shave twice a day - I don't usually do so but since going back to DE shaving about 6 months ago I don't think the razor burn I used to experience would be there. Guess I'm too lazy anyway!
If I do purchase a straight then I think time constraints would probably limit it's use initially to weekends as suggested.
Peg20 makes sense to me so I'll lurk around the strop shop and invisible edge sites and see what turns up.
Again, many thanks to you all.

Back
Top Bottom