novice. cant get a good lather

Hi Gents,

no matter what i do i cant get a good thick shaving lather iv tryed following the advice in this thread but no luck

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=545

i use a tubby 1 24mm knot shaving brush its great i love it (looks cool anyway :D )

i soke the brush for two mins in hot water when i let water drip out but dont sweez the water out because i hear water in the brush is inporant when using a shaving cream. when i put a pound sized amount of parmolive shaving cream in the hart of the brush.
but it dosnt lather well or get anythicker unless i add more shaving cream. its really fustrating. if i add water too it all that happens in the lather get air bubles in it but still no inprovement.

i live in a hard water area could that have any affect on me getting a good lather? i.eme needing to use more cream need conpared to someone else in another part of the country to get the same results??

any help much appreciated gents

regards

Joe

I found that the palmolive requires more time.

Start off palm lathering - maybe with a slightly drier brush, gradually adding more water as the cream starts to foam.

I take it you are face lathering, try starting smearing the palmolive on your face rather than sticking it into the brush. you can also start with a dryer brush and add more water once you have started building the lather

Joe

To get started, put a decent dollop of cream in any small bowl and spread it around. After soaking the brush, give it just a gentle flick to remove some water then try whipping up some lather. Once you play around a bit with this you will start to get a feel for the sort of lather you can create. Then paint it on to your face and swirl around before smoothing over. I found it easier to lather in a bowl before I face lathered.

Hard water is not going to be an issue with a cream, it's all about finding the balance between water and product. Trial and error will get you there.

You're starting with too much water. Squeeze the brush, then flick twice. Work the cream with a dryish brush, and only add a few drops of water at a time. I dip my fingers in the sink and let 3 or 4 drops fall into the shaving bowl.

Just remember, you can always add water, but not take it away.

Start with what you probably think is a far too dry brush, then add water until you have it right.

Also, as stated previously, try putting your cream in to the bowl, not in the brush.

As has been said you can always add water, you definitely need to give a badger brush a squeeze to reomve excess after a soak. How much you squeeze and shake depends on your brush and how much product you intend to use.

I find that, living in a hard water area, I need to work the lather for a fair while to get the quality and texture I'm after; as great as mantics' videos are, he seems to be able to get decent lather with a few lazy swirls of the brush, and, no matter what sort of technique I try, how much water and cream or soap I use, I can't do it as quickly. Patience seems to me to be the secret.

Some people say that a few drops of nitroglycerine whoops, glycerine help to stabilise the lather. Technically speaking, I think that makes it "Überlather". Loads of results if you Google it.

Don't use the nitro - not good. :?

Also the tubby 1 is a great brush, i have one and it lathers mwf like you wouldn't believe, which a lot of folk struggle with.

I just take mine out of the water, give it a couple flicks and get going.

You could try practicing on hand lathering, just to get to grips.

IMG_20110505_193257.jpg

I find there is no need to "Soak" the brush. I dip mine in the wash basin, then stand it on top of the basin while I shower. The hairs will soak up the water already in the brush.

To get a consistent amount of water in there, I then dip it again, and shake it forcefully straight down (movement down, bristles down) three times. By then it is not spilling more than a few drops.

Doing this gets me the perfect start for any soap or cream. I need to add quite a bit of water, but as mentioned before by the drops. 3-4 drops at a time. Different soaps and creams require different amounts.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom