open comb razor advice

im looking at getting something a little more aggressive than my merkur hd and my muhle r89. ive always liked the look of open combs, has anyone got any suggestions? the muhle r41 looks a little on the scary side for me, so something in between..

A 1930s or 1940s Gillette New might suit. They're a little more aggressive without going overboard. They're also fairly cheap and nicely balanced. You could ask on the Buy, Sell, Trade here or check ebay.
What they look like:
1930s (although my one has lost most of its gold plating): https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteNew1930s
1940s: https://picasaweb.google.com/114359518161826006500/GilletteNew1940s

The gillette old types Are for me quite aggressive.
The New as Stig said is a good one. I hVe the same model.
I have a merkur open comb 1904 and that is less aggressive thN my tech!
I've not tried any muhle razors.
Cheers
Tim

If you are leaning towards the New Long Tooth open comb, you might consider getting one from Bobs' Razor Works. He has custom handles and has the "New" heads as well. Besides the handle will fit any other head you have if you want to interchange them. The workmanship is #1 and Bob ships anywhere. A very good and dependable vendor. I have 4 of his creations.

The only one I have extensive experience of is a New. A very good razor in my opinion with quite a healthy amount of bite, it benefits from a sharp blade like a Swede or Iridium - huh, sorry - maybe a 7 o'clock. I did buy an older Gillette for a friend - single ring, Old? dunno - and that was a smashing shaver too, so the chances of getting an excellent vintage razor look good to me.

huck1680 said:
If you are leaning towards the New Long Tooth open comb, you might consider getting one from Bobs' Razor Works. He has custom handles and has the "New" heads as well. Besides the handle will fit any other head you have if you want to interchange them. The workmanship is #1 and Bob ships anywhere. A very good and dependable vendor. I have 4 of his creations.

i was looking at bobs site and i really like the look of the new heads on the bull mastiff handles. the thing is ive tried to use the e mail function on his site and i cant get it to work. from the replies on here a NEW long comb sounds exactly what im looking for.

bobsrazorworks@aol.com

isaiah53 said:
huck1680 said:

i was looking at bobs site and i really like the look of the new heads on the bull mastiff handles. the thing is ive tried to use the e mail function on his site and i cant get it to work. from the replies on here a NEW long comb sounds exactly what im looking for.

I would try a cheap vintage OC first, so see if you like them. I've an old Gillette NEW and it's not the easiest to use after a long time with a HD. The blade angle has a much smaller margin for error, and you can see when you're off, as the teeth leave tram lines in the lather. The NEW is mild on the face but a good shaver.

Didn't like the Merkur OC, or R41, found both quite aggressive on the face, but uselessly mild at beard removal.

The problem I found with Bob's Razor Works razors was that the handles were a little too heavy for the New head (which already has a fair amount of bite, in my experience). The extra weight of the BRW handle just pushed the razor over the edge for me - whereas Gillette News (on original handles) are lighter, less aggressive, and just generally more agile and manoevrable. If you're patient and stealthy, you can pick up a good one on ebay for about a £10-£15, or ask someone like Sunburyboy or FenchBlade on here, who I'm sure will be happy to sort you out with a nice example.

when you have pounded a 2 1/2 pound hammer for over 20 years nearly every day ...u dont tend to feel the weight much

still best razor i own

MandoBear said:
The problem I found with Bob's Razor Works razors was that the handles were a little too heavy for the New head (which already has a fair amount of bite, in my experience). The extra weight of the BRW handle just pushed the razor over the edge for me - whereas Gillette News (on original handles) are lighter, less aggressive, and just generally more agile and manoevrable. If you're patient and stealthy, you can pick up a good one on ebay for about a £10-£15, or ask someone like Sunburyboy or FenchBlade on here, who I'm sure will be happy to sort you out with a nice example.

i noticed on his site though he has a bull mastiff slim and i really like the look of that, do you think that may be more suited to the new head?

Back
Top Bottom