Active Pass Around: Fatboy

Fatboy arrived the other day along with a wide variety of blades and soaps. Astonishing that a razor, over 10 years my senior, works as it should. Testament to the build quality. I will post SOTDs when time permits.

As Semi said, it is a real treat to briefly read up about a different soap in the evening have the opportunity to try each (once) in the morning.

Having benefitted from the generous spirit of the forum I will add my favourite soap(s) and blades to the package when I PIF.

Last edited:
Ok - so here goes.

New to SoTDs so will do my best.

The razor is built like a tank and works like it was designed to. Astonishing after all there years. High quality workmanship.

First shave 23/6/2024

Razor : fatboy
Blade : Shark Platinum Stainless Steel (first time using it)
Pre/pre-shave : pears soap
Pre shave oil : Trufitt & Hill pre shave oil
Soap: MWF
Post shave : alum
Skin cream: unbranded pure coconut oil and aloe Vera gel I picked from a farm in India
Splash : Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Writing this as a relative wet shaving newbie, although my technique is gradually improving. My daily razor is the Henson AL13++.

I deliberately did not read the previous Fatboy SoTDs so as not to create any preconceived views.

Starting sensibly, I set the razor to 3, Not feeling much, I increased the aggression to 4 then 5. Being accustomed to the Henson. I suspect my shaving angle was too steep for the Fatboy. The weight difference between the 2 razors was also quite noticeable. In any case, 3 passes and a few pickups later, I had a nice clean shave. No weepers, courtesy of the T&H oil and MWF, but had quite a lot of skin irritation when using the alum. I assumed it was down to the shaving angle and aggression level and haven’t used it since.

To test all the variables, I tried to use a Shark Platinum Stainless Steel in my Henson this morning. I got the same irritation again. The issue with my first fatboy outing was therefore, in part at least, the blade. I will try another shave with my favourite Silver Star blade and report back.

Ok - so here goes.

New to SoTDs so will do my best.

The razor is built like a tank and works like it was designed to. Astonishing after all there years. High quality workmanship.

First shave 23/6/2024

Razor : fatboy
Blade : Shark Platinum Stainless Steel (first time using it)
Pre/pre-shave : pears soap
Pre shave oil : Trufitt & Hill pre shave oil
Soap: MWF
Post shave : alum
Skin cream: unbranded pure coconut oil and aloe Vera gel I picked from a farm in India
Splash : Acqua Di Parma Colonia

Writing this as a relative wet shaving newbie, although my technique is gradually improving. My daily razor is the Henson AL13++.

I deliberately did not read the previous Fatboy SoTDs so as not to create any preconceived views.

Starting sensibly, I set the razor to 3, Not feeling much, I increased the aggression to 4 then 5. Being accustomed to the Henson. I suspect my shaving angle was too steep for the Fatboy. The weight difference between the 2 razors was also quite noticeable. In any case, 3 passes and a few pickups later, I had a nice clean shave. No weepers, courtesy of the T&H oil and MWF, but had quite a lot of skin irritation when using the alum. I assumed it was down to the shaving angle and aggression level and haven’t used it since.

To test all the variables, I tried to use a Shark Platinum Stainless Steel in my Henson this morning. I got the same irritation again. The issue with my first fatboy outing was therefore, in part at least, the blade. I will try another shave with my favourite Silver Star blade and report back.
I've found the Sharks get less sharp the more stuff they put on the blades: Chrome, Platinum, etc. The standard stainless Shark I really like.

The Fatboy is my favourite razor and on my sensitive skin I usually use setting 5 but can go up to 7 if need be. I don't go below 4 or it doesn't seem to do much.
The Slim Adjustable they succeeded it is a little longer and thinner but has a slightly different shaped head (a bit flatter) and this changes the angle of the blade. I don't find it to be as effective. I'm not sure if the blade gaps are very different or not.

I haven't used the Henson you mentioned but from what I've read it would be a good match.

Back
Top Bottom