Photo of the day

Potd-12-08-21.jpg

#talesofgovanhill

Beauty is where you find it - sometimes fleeting and momentary - a poster protesting about something - I can't remember what - we are a bit arsey around these parts - what do you have? Somebody will object to it. The poster peeled back in the wind - then fell off a second later. Thankfully I happened to be paying attention at the time. Much like shaving - photographers can be mindful too. Yours - I.

@Blademonkey

Potd-13-08-21-01.jpg
#talesofgovanhill -

Stay safe - and pick up your dog shit. Apparently - we are coming out of lock-down - I'm left both agoraphobic and claustrophobic by the experience - that might seem contradictory - not for me. Confined indoors and scared to go out - I can now - but the world has been tainted. Which I think this picture shows. Okay - I became 53 a couple of days ago - but I am sure Covid is going to affect the rest of my life - in one way shape or form, Let's not start on climate change? Apparently - everybody is going to fly to Glasgow next month to talk about it? - wankers - you haven't thought the argument through. In a greater sense - pity your children - those of you that have them - they will inherit the mess we have created. I.

@Blademonkey

View attachment 75307
#talesofgovanhill -

Stay safe - and pick up your dog shit. Apparently - we are coming out of lock-down - I'm left both agoraphobic and claustrophobic by the experience - that might seem contradictory - not for me. Confined indoors and scared to go out - I can now - but the world has been tainted. Which I think this picture shows. Okay - I became 53 a couple of days ago - but I am sure Covid is going to affect the rest of my life - in one way shape or form, Let's not start on climate change? Apparently - everybody is going to fly to Glasgow next month to talk about it? - wankers - you haven't thought the argument through. In a greater sense - pity your children - those of you that have them - they will inherit the mess we have created. I.

@Blademonkey

Interesting post, I suspect I may come at our current crises differently to you but share your sense of alarm...2021 will, I believe, be a historic year with so many issues - economic, geopolitical, climate, public health intersecting and certainly in the West we have a dearth of leadership. Personally, from a financial perspective, I am long on ropes and guillotines :)

Interesting post, I suspect I may come at our current crises differently to you but share your sense of alarm...2021 will, I believe, be a historic year with so many issues - economic, geopolitical, climate, public health intersecting and certainly in the West we have a dearth of leadership. Personally, from a financial perspective, I am long on ropes and guillotines :)
Potd-06-08-20-06.jpg

Indeed - a paucity of leadership. Pity the poor Afghans - their problems are immeasurable compared to mine. Yours - I.

These are stock photograph from 1910 and 1880 which still resonate strongly today - showing 1/ Afghans shooting from the Kyber Pass and 2/ a British Officer and his Staff. Prior to the recent occupation, the British fought three wars in Afghanistan, occupying or controlling the country over 80 years until 1919; we lost tens of thousands of young men during this period. Amazingly, photographs from this time show little change in the rural landscape from today...the "Graveyard of all Empires".

1629221661587.png

1629222149868.png

Last edited:
Prior to the recent occupation, the British fought three wars in Afghanistan
Indeed - not many contemporary commentators appear to know this......

Potd-17-08-21.jpg

Afghans shooting from the Kyber Pass
Regrettably - for all concerned - the jezail has been replaced with weapons of a considerably higher muzzle velocity.

I.

Back
Top Bottom