Qshave blades and airport security with DE razor

I recently went abroad. I'd arranged for some DE blades (Wilkinson) on a previous visit so I could take my DE rather than my standby fusion razor.
For some reason, the blades they had were Qshave, I didn't bother to question the whereabouts of the Wilkinson blades. Anyway, they are made in the USA and blades are unbranded, with no markings on. I thought they may be similar to the Israeli Personna's I used to use, but stopped due to too many duff blades.

First shave really, tuggy, as was the second and on the third, I decided to change the blade, just incase it was a duff one. When I searched my wash bag for the wrapper to put the used blade in, I discovered, an unused Nacet blade I'd obviously put in my bag and forgot about. This blade has been missed by Heathrow security (and probably a trip a few weeks previous, Stansted and Zagreb (Croatia)). Please it was missed as the Facet was much, much better than the Qshave blade.

On my return flight, which was Helsinki, my bag was picked out by the machine for a check. At this airport, there is no need to take liquids out separately etc. I couldn't think what could cause it to be picked out. The lady went through my bag, and it turns out the DE razor flags up on their system to search for razor blades. All she found was the wrapper I looked for a few days previous. Perhaps lucky I did find my Nacet, I may have been hauled off. She did confirm, DE blades are not allowed on flights.

Just to clarify, it's any DE blade or any blade with an exposed edge such as Artist club or Gem that is a problem, not just QShave blades. Further, from my personal experience sometimes a DE razor without a blade is confiscated. However it appears that AC blades and Gem blades contained in a dispenser as well as cartridge systems are likely to be regarded as safe but not always.

Usually when travelling we take a razor that we are willing to lose not only if we forget to pack it when returning but if it is nabbed by airport security, customs, etc.

The situation is so variable that it justifies avoiding taking a razor and blades and buy one when the derstinatipon is reached.

Just to clarify, it's any DE blade or any blade with an exposed edge such as Artist club or Gem that is a problem, not just QShave blades. Further, from my personal experience sometimes a DE razor without a blade is confiscated. However it appears that AC blades and Gem blades contained in a dispenser as well as cartridge systems are likely to be regarded as safe but not always.

Usually when travelling we take a razor that we are willing to lose not only if we forget to pack it when returning but if it is nabbed by airport security, customs, etc.

The situation is so variable that it justifies avoiding taking a razor and blades and buy one when the derstinatipon is reached.
I didn't know they may confiscate a DE even without the blade.

I should Also clarify, The Qshave blade was already at my destination, the Nacet (not that the brand makes a difference) blade somehow escaped detection.

I didn't know they may confiscate a DE even without the blade.

I should Also clarify, The Qshave blade was already at my destination, the Nacet (not that the brand makes a difference) blade somehow escaped detection.

The major problem and why it's variable is that you'll be dealing with a single officer who is supported by their team of officers at the particular site.

At check-in or at your destination are you going to take the matter further and stand up for your rights or are you going to accept it and go on your way? I suggest it will be the latter. Probably the easiest solution is as I suggested: Don't take a razor with you and buy one when you get to your destination. Problem solved.

yeah let’s all buy new razors when we get to our destinations ???
Doesn’t make sense to me.
Plus DE Razors are not accessible everywhere
in fact they are pretty much nonexistent in your everyday shop.
Saying that i did find a DE in a supermarket in Brazil for under £2 and another in a supermarket in Africa for roughly the same price but no thank you id rather keep my face in one piece

Back
Top Bottom