Rate The Last Film You Watched

The Fog (1980)
Great film for the Halloween season, suspense and even a vague storyline which many "scary" films lack. Love the sultry radio DJ in the lighthouse. Bonus points for great 80's soundtrack and general nostalgia.

8/10

• Love
Reactions: FJY
The Fog (1980)
Great film for the Halloween season, suspense and even a vague storyline which many "scary" films lack. Love the sultry radio DJ in the lighthouse. Bonus points for great 80's soundtrack and general nostalgia.

8/10

I love this film. It's my second favourite John Carpenter film after Halloween. It features several of the same actors who previously appeared in Halloween as well. I used to have a copy of the film on VHS, and then I eventually bought it on DVD. I used to watch it quite often. It's much better than the awful remake that came out a few years ago.

Carry On Screaming (1966)

The Carry On team's homage to Hammer Horror, and one of the funniest of the Carry On series, IMO. Reportedly, Harry H. Corbett took the lead role after Sid James became ill, and he does a damn fine job of it too. Most of the regulars are in the film, though Charles Hawtrey has a noticeably much smaller part than usual. I watched the film again last night, and I found it as enjoyable as ever. Everything about it is superb. I give it 10/10 without any reservations.

Reactions: PHR
Carrie (1976)

I fancied a late Halloween horror film last night, so I watched this again. I've always loved it. It's one of the very best film adaptations of a Stephen King book, IMO, and it follows the book fairly closely. Sissy Spacek is pefectly cast as Carrie, as is Piper Laurie as her domineering mother, and the film features an early appearance for John Travolta. I enjoyed this film all over again, and it made me want to read the book again. The 2013 remake with Chloe Grace Moretz is pretty good too, and is virtually identical. I give the film a solid 10/10.

Black Christmas (1974)

An early Christmas horror film. I watched it again last night and really enjoyed it. It is an extremely unsettling and frightening film, and firmly deserves its reputation. The film has a cast of mostly Z-listers, but does feature an early film appearance by Margot Kidder (Superman). There was a remake of the film made in 2006, but I much prefer this original version. If you love scary films, give it a go. I rate it the full 10/10.

Die Hard (1988)

I watched this again last night. I have a DVD boxset of the first 3 Die Hard films. I also had the first film on VHS video back in the early 1990s. Anyway, I enjoyed it all over again, and it's still a cracking action film. It's also Bruce Willis' best film, IMO. And yes, it IS a Christmas film, IMO, lol.

A solid 10/10 from me. It's a classic.

Just watched Joker, which Joaquín Phoenix got an Oscar for I believe. I'm not 'into' Batman or Marvel type stuff, in fact I hardly watch any films at all, but this was pretty moving actually. His victims had it coming, and despite the fact he pretty much destroyed Gotham City with the rioting he inspired, you end up feeling sympathy for him. I'm not a harsh or experienced critic but I thought this was a pretty powerful film about what happens when some unlucky sod gets abused by everyone. No wonder he goes rogue and loses his mind and all the good in him. OK it's fiction but it happens. Especially now, there's people who are already on the edge and each interaction they have could push them one of two ways.

Last edited:
Just watched Joker, which Joaquín Phoenix got an Oscar for I believe. I'm not 'into' Batman or Marvel type stuff, in fact I hardly watch any films at all, but this was pretty moving actually. His victims had it coming, and despite the fact he pretty much destroyed Gotham City with the rioting he inspired, you end up feeling sympathy for him. I'm not a harsh or experienced critic but I thought this was a pretty powerful film about what happens when some unlucky sod gets abused by everyone. No wonder he goes rogue and loses his mind and all the good in him. OK it's fiction but it happens. Especially now, there's people who are already on the edge and each interaction they have could push them one of two ways.
Really enjoyed this film. That laugh! Apparently it is heavily influenced by The King of Comedy - although I haven't seen it.

My wife and I saw "The Banshees of Inisherin" last week... And left a bit baffled.

As a backstory: "In Bruges" and "The Guard" are two of our favourite movies, and they feature the same two leading actors (Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell) and I believe the same director. The latest film, "Banshees", has gotten superb reviews so far, but we just weren't very impressed. We did laugh out loud a few times, but left overall disappointed. Maybe we had too high of expectations... Everyone else seemed to love it!

Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

I watched this last night. I remember seeing it discussed on a documentary about Video Nasties many years ago. Apparently, it was banned in the UK for years, and various groups were up in arms about it in the US, as it portrayed Santa Claus as a psychopathic killer. It is still a quite nasty and unpleasant film to watch even after all these years, and the standard of acting leaves a lot to be desired. There are some good "kill scenes" in the film, though, along similar lines to the Friday 13th film series. It'd be a good watch for fans of slasher films, but I didn't enjoy it that much. I guess I just don't like films like that anymore. I give it 5/10.

Home Alone 2 (1992)

I usually watch Home Alone every year, but I thought that I'd have the sequel this year. I still enjoy it, and I think it's as good as the first one. It has some great comedy moments. I give it another 10/10.

Carry On Teacher (1959)

Last night, I watched a double bill of classic Carry On films, as my own personal tribute to the late Leslie Phillips, who died recently. I've always enjoyed this very early Carry On film. I enjoyed it again last night. I give it a solid 10/10.

Carry On Constable (1960)

The second of my classic Carry On double bill with Leslie Phillips (RIP). It was also the first Carry On film to feature the great Sid James as one of the regulars. I enjoyed it again last night. I give it a solid 10/10 also.

Carry On Nurse (1959)

Another of my favourite early Carry On films, and another that features the late Leslie Phillips. The film was the first Carry On film to have a hospital setting. It also features the delectable Shirley Eaton in one of her earliest film roles. I watched it again last night and enjoyed it all over again. It's another 10/10 from me.

Carry On Regardless (1961)

I watched this again last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the regular Carry On cast are here, including the first appearance of the delectable Liz Fraser in the series. Even the extremely irritating Stanley Unwin didn't spoil my enjoyment of the film. It's another 10/10 from me.

Back
Top Bottom