17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

16/07/2023

Razor: Reggie's Titan
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Oumo Master Silk 28mm
Soap: DG Original

20230716_081933.jpg

84 hours of growth to deal with having just returned from Goodwood FOS. I wasn't sure how the Titan would fare but it did brilliantly. Took the growth down with ease and complete comfort.

It's time for me to pass the Titan on to the next person so I'll summarise my thoughts here.

We finally have a made in Britain titanium razor available to us. It's well designed and balanced. The finish isn't mirror polishing level but it still looks nice. Despite initial concerns, the handle works well.

The blade gap of .6 suggests this razor will be milder than it actually is. It's not an aggressive beast but the slightly positive blade exposure lets you know what it's up to. It worked better for me with a Gillette Platinum than a London Bridge - make of that what you will. Initially I found the razor too much for my neck but the blade swap changed my opinion.

I'd be happy to add one of these to the den in the future. A big thank you to Jonathan of @Reggie’s Razors for the chance to use this razor as part of the pass around.

16/07/2023

Razor: Reggie's Titan
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Brush: Oumo Master Silk 28mm
Soap: DG Original

View attachment 108858

84 hours of growth to deal with having just returned from Goodwood FOS. I wasn't sure how the Titan would fare but it did brilliantly. Took the growth down with ease and complete comfort.

It's time for me to pass the Titan on to the next person so I'll summarise my thoughts here.

We finally have a made in Britain titanium razor available to us. It's well designed and balanced. The finish isn't mirror polishing level but it still looks nice. Despite initial concerns, the handle works well.

The blade gap of .6 suggests this razor will be milder than it actually is. It's not an aggressive beast but the slightly positive blade exposure lets you know what it's up to. It worked better for me with a Gillette Platinum than a London Bridge - make of that what you will. Initially I found the razor too much for my neck but the blade swap changed my opinion.

I'd be happy to add one of these to the den in the future. A big thank you to Jonathan of @Reggie’s Razors for the chance to use this razor as part of the pass around.
Hey Chris, glad you enjoyed the Titan and thanks for the positive feedback!

Look forward to hearing @slapo thoughts.

Cheers

Jonathan

1.Boycie83
2.Slapo (ATG & TSR) - with
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR)
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR)
5.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
14. Tony'schin (TSR / ATG)
15. Gairdner (TSR / ATG)
16. ajc347 (ATG)
17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

We can probably time it for you to try during one of your periods at home?
That would be great Chris.
it’s a right busy time for me just now unfortunately.
i’m heading back to Indonesia in just under 3 weeks,
i’ll be away for 8 weeks so if that ties in with the pass around that would be great,
failing that i’m only home after that for 4 weeks before i head to Africa.
I could do without all this traveling but hey ho shouldn’t complain

That would be great Chris.
it’s a right busy time for me just now unfortunately.
i’m heading back to Indonesia in just under 3 weeks,
i’ll be away for 8 weeks so if that ties in with the pass around that would be great,
failing that i’m only home after that for 4 weeks before i head to Africa.
I could do without all this traveling but hey ho shouldn’t complain
I'm sure we can sort something out

1.Boycie83
2.Slapo (ATG & TSR) - with
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR)
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR)
5.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
14. Tony'schin (TSR / ATG)
15. ajc347 (ATG)
16. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
17. jeepie (ATG)

Review from @slapo on ATG:

I'll copy it here for convenience:

Shave #1

Soap: Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 28mm
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (fresh)
Razor:
- left side of my face: Reggie's Razors Titan,
- right side of my face: Yintal V7
I used the handle that came with the Titan with both heads.

With two new razors at my disposal, I fancied using both for the heck of it. :p
Visually, I prefer the design of the V7 (well, all RazoRock Mamba clones) to that of the Titan, though the latter looks alright.
The visual robustness of the Titan has its own charm.

A somewhat uneven match up for this shave, though, with the Titan having positive blade exposure and the V7 having neutral blade exposure.
I also ended up somewhat rushing toward the end, as I shaved in the morning after a workout before work and had gotten up for it a bit later than I should've.

The positive exposure of the Titan was apparent right away. There seemed a little more than a polite 'hello' in blade feel, but still enjoyable. Thinking about it, it kind of reminds me of Yaqi's Harlequin in blade feel.
Curiously, in the fingernail test, there was a decent amount of blade flex. However, it proved to be a non-issue in actual use. I think it might be because I'm an avid top cap rider, which I find lessens the issues I tend to have with higher flex razor heads, and the technique seems to suit the Titan quite well.

Compared to the V7, the Titan was more efficient, but the V7 had nearly no blade feel and felt a little smoother, too.
Blade exposure aside, I find the Titan and the V7 to be fairly similar designs.
Both proved to be fairly clog-resistant.

I ended up with some irritation on the right side of my neck, very likely because I left soap on there too long and my neck doesn't like that. It ends up reacting with goosebumps, and razors tend to get their tops. Nothing dramatic, but annoying and visually apparent.
As a result, I doubt I'll be able to shave earlier than on Friday.

On the other hand, I was BBS on the Titan's side, and a mix of DFS and BBS on the V7's side, so I probably won't need to.
I did whip up a somewhat thicker lather, which probably favoured the Titan.

What surprised me the most was how well the shave went with the Titan on the first use. No real trouble with it, and would've been more pleasant if I didn't have to rush it somewhat.

However, I wasn't too keen on the handle the Titan comes with.
It was mostly OK, but a little slippery at times. I just prefer dense(ish), sharp knurling. Additionally, the R at the bottom of the handle is quite deep and somewhat difficult to clean.

I'll see how my next shaves with it are going to be, but I'd be eyeing the Saturn already (assuming it shaves the same as the Titan), had there been a head-only version available.

Shave #2 today.

Blade: Gillette Platinum (fresh)
Razor:
- right side of my face: Reggie's Razors Titan,
- left side of my face: Gillette Tech (the all brass rounded base plate variant)

I agree that the handle is less grippy than it could be. It's well made, but without silicone/rubber o-rings, it just leaves something to be desired.

However, the head is very nice.

I do, however, suspect that I need to use a lot less of the Palmolive cream, because I ended up using a lot of it in the shower afterwards and still had some left over. :oops:
I think the extra cushioning made me zip both razors around my face too much and a little careless as well, so my face was a little sore today.
BBS with both on my face, but I got a little sloppy on the neck with the Tech, so it was close, but not as close as I could make it had I been paying more attention.
On the other hand, I somewhat overshaved with the Titan head. Sure, ended up BBS everywhere except for the jaw line, where I forgot to go ATG, but I also got a few weepers and some irritation on the neck.
I need to focus next time, doggone it!

I'm still not sure whether the Titan is for me. It has just a little more blade feel than I'd like, although I can't complain about its efficiency.
I'll see how the few next shaves go.

If I were to buy, I'd still prefer getting just the stainless steel head by itself, though.

Shave #3 today.

Blade: Gillette Platinum (2. use)
Razor:
- right side of my face: Reggie's Razors Titan,
- left side of my face: Henson Al13 v2 +++

This might've been the first time I used a Henson with a non-Henson handle, although I don't think the handle made any difference to the shave. It was the second time I used this particular head, I think.

Interesting as it was for me, the shave went fairly predictably.
The Henson was smoother and felt (understandably) less aggressive.

However, after three passes, the result was even, and BBS except for a little part of my moustache area that I must have missed on the last pass, but still I could only barely feel it.

The extra blade exposure of the Titan did give me a better idea of whether I needed to adjust the angle for a smoother ride, but the Henson didn't need it.

Ultimately, between the two, given the result was the same, I think it would be a matter of preference (and possibly the difference in cost).

I think the Henson suits me better, although if I had it, I'd use the Titan occasionally as well.

Shave #4 this morning.

Blade: Gillette Platinum (3. use)
Razor:
- right side of my face: Greencult 1.0,
- left side of my face: Reggie's Razors Titan

I expected that the two razors would be fairly evenly matched in aggression, but as it turned out, the Titan felt quite a bit more aggressive than the Greencult.

On its third use, the Gillette Platinum ended up being quite harsh in the Titan, but still pretty smooth in the Greencult. So much so that I'd decided to forego touch ups (almost always need them on the neck) with the Titan and ended up with a closer (and more comfortable) shave with the Greencult.
I was in a bit of a rush as I slept in a little, which didn't help.
I think my next shave is going to be an evening one to have more time.

Today, I kept getting bits of soap onto the handle somehow, and as the handle is fairly slippery, I had to rinse the handle every time, as I was worried it might slip my grasp.

I'll have one more shave with it before passing on and I'll try a different blade or two.

Back
Top Bottom