Review Your Razors DE Or SE Thread.

"Here is your chance to review your Razor or Razors Modern or Vintage"

Like the title says here you can give a more in-depth review of your razors.
Even if you only use one or own many this is the new place to tell us all about it.
It also don't matter what condition your razor is in "No Shame Here".
Some examples of what you could include in your post.​
  • Why you like it and what you don't so much.
  • How you would compare the razor to others you own or have tried.
  • What blade works best or you are using in the razor.
  • Is it mild or aggressive in you opinion.
  • How many passes does it take to achieve a shave your happy with.
  • A good picture or two of the razor and blade.
  • Maybe Its age or when you acquired the razor.
  • Put as much or as little detail as you like just say what you like.
"If you are just wanting to post your SOTD there is already a great thread for that."

"You can post your reviews about the razor any way you like their are no rules or set format".

" If I or another member left some details out about a razor or if you feel they are incorrect please reply to the post".

"So lets see how this new thread goes Its up to all you members if it lives or dies".

Ok of course I will get things started.

• Gillette regular flare tip super speed 1955 A1.
  • Blade Astra super platinum.
The flare tip super speed is a fine looking nickel plated razor that screams 1950s.
The end of the handle looks a lot like a rocket nozzle it was all the rage back then.
Its a TTO razor which makes it easy to change the blade and clean the razor after use.
Like so many things from the past they are built to last and were made in the millions.
The super speeds were made from the 1940s to the 1980s in many designs and in several countries.
This model has three types.
Blue tip (the mildest) and lightest weight.
Plain nickel tip (regular).
Red tip ( more aggressive) and heaviest.
They were an attempt to make a razor for all wet shavers before the adjustables came out.
There longevity tells you how successful this family of razors were in my opinion a true classic.

The razor gives me an easy clean shave with 2 passes WTG/ATG. with minimal to no irritation.
This razor is quite forgiving and a joy to use with a blade that suits you.

I think this razor would be a good first vintage razor to buy as they are relatively cheap still today.
Also a good vintage razor for people starting out in the world of DE razors.

Cheers to you all.
IMG_8465.jpg

Last edited:

Like the title says here you can give a more in-depth review of you razors.
Even if you only use one or own many this is the new place to tell us all about it.
"If you are just wanting to post your SOTD there is already a great thread for that."

"You can post your reviews about the razor any way you like their are no rules or set format".

" If I or another member left some details out about a razor or if you feel they are incorrect please reply to the post".

"So lets see how this new thread goes Its up to all you members if it lives or dies".

The flare tip super speed is a fine looking nickel plated razor that screams 1950s.
The end of the handle looks a lot like a rocket nozzle it was all the rage back then.
Its a TTO razor which makes it easy to change the blade and clean the razor after use.
Like so many things from the past they are built to last and were made in the millions.
The super speeds were made from the 1940s to the 1980s in many designs and in several countries.
They were an attempt to make a razor for all wet shavers before the adjustables came out.
There longevity tells you how successful this family of razors were in my opinion a true classic.

The razor gives me an easy clean shave with 2 passes WTG/ATG. with minimal to no irritation.

I think this razor would be a good first vintage razor to buy as they are relatively cheap still today.

Cheers to you all.
View attachment 124395

One of my favourite razors especially the 1958 TV Special

Like the title says here you can give a more in-depth review of your razors.

Cheers to you all.
View attachment 124395

Great review @Vittoria
I will definitely be joining in on this topic I have a small collection of Vintage Gillette all offer something a little different.
I will work on my fort today, hopefully upload my review later today.

Great review @Vittoria
I will definitely be joining in on this topic I have a small collection of Vintage Gillette all offer something a little different.
I will work on my fort today, hopefully upload my review later today.
That's Great Garry357 we are looking forward to your reviews and Info.
Cheers

Last edited:
Razor Review #1

Vintage Gillette British Rocket FlareTip

• Gillette British Rocket FlareTip
  • Date of Manufacture No date code – c1950 – 60’s
  • Country of Manufacture England - UK
  • Weight 59 gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Metal Brass – nickel plated
  • Legend BRIT PAT 694093 – Gillette Made in England - II
  • Aggression Medium
  • Size 84mm x 43mm

The British Rocket FlareTip is a mid-aggression TTO

Part of the trio family
  • Blue – Light
  • Plain- Medium (II stamped on the base plate)
  • Red - Heavy
A couple of noticeable differences to the US counterpart. The end caps are pointed, and the handle knurling has a gap when closed. Also, the obvious BRIT PAT v REGES.

The reason I love this razor, my dad had a FlareTip all his life when I was growing up in the UK. This particular razor is not his, unfortunately since his death 30 yrs ago, his shave gear has been misplaced.
I always enjoy using my FlareTip it brings back very fond memories. Just a pity Old Spice Aftershave has been discontinued in Australia, they were a perfect combination of Old School shaving nostalgia.

These models clean up easily and can often look like new once cleaned and a light polish. The shave from a FlareTip is remarkably smooth, it's easy to see why millions of young men made this the razor of choice when they were growing up in the 50’s-60’s.

The razors can be picked up quite reasonably, they could be a perfect first razor for someone coming into wet shaving. Twinned with a standard blade they are extremely easy to use with minimal technique required.

Flaretip 03.jpg

Razor Review #1

• Weight 59 gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Aggression Medium
  • Size 84mm x 43mm

Part of the trio family
  • Blue – Light
  • Red - Heavy
A couple of noticeable differences to the US counterpart. The end caps are pointed, and the handle knurling has a gap when closed. Also, the obvious BRIT PAT v REGES.

The reason I love this razor, my dad had a FlareTip all his life when I was growing up in the UK. This particular razor is not his, unfortunately since his death 30 yrs ago, his shave gear has been misplaced.
I always enjoy using my FlareTip it brings back very fond memories. Just a pity Old Spice Aftershave has been discontinued in Australia, they were a perfect combination of Old School shaving nostalgia.

These models clean up easily and can often look like new once cleaned and a light polish. The shave from a FlareTip is remarkably smooth, it's easy to see why millions of young men made this the razor of choice when they were growing up in the 50’s-60’s.

The razors can be picked up quite reasonably, they could be a perfect first razor for someone coming into wet shaving. Twinned with a standard blade they are extremely easy to use with minimal technique required.

View attachment 124406
Great review and information Garry357
I have heard they’re a little more aggressive than the similar US super speed?
The bright nickel looks awesome in front of the timber back ground (y)

Razor Review #1

• Weight 59 gm
  • Mechanism TTO
  • Aggression Medium
  • Size 84mm x 43mm

Part of the trio family
  • Blue – Light
  • Red - Heavy

View attachment 124406
I’ve just noticed Garry357 at the bottom of the handle on the British rocket is quite different to the Super speed Apart from the English made razors, not having date codes as you mentioned.

Except I believe the TV special is worth a lot more.
I don’t think it is mate.
The only thing i would say about any vintage is they seem to double in price if they are in a pristine case which all of mine are.
In terms of the Razor itself they are readily available in the states.
Iv working abroad just now but iv just had a 1954 Tv Special sent to me.
Can’t wait to try it.

Last edited:
I don’t think it is mate.
The only thing i would say about any vintage is they seem to double in price if they are in a pristine case which all of mine are.
In terms of the Razor itself they are readily available in the states.
Iv working abroad just now but iv just had a 1954 Tv Special sent to me.
Can’t wait to try it.
Exactly you are paying for a special edition witch sadly is always the case.
I to have collection of razors in made razor box (as my darling wife likes to call it)
I have some NOS Razors but not all.
I'm no sure if I have a TV special I have cased super speeds I will check.
Will you tell us what you think of the TV razor when you get time?
Love to see some pics
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom