Review Your Razors DE Or SE Thread.

No I don't have I of them
A seller on ebay here in Australia sold one like this recently
Did you get it for him?
And yes it is much the same as the earlier rocket
lovely razor mate
Cheers

PS You won't be doing a review on this NOS razor.
If you have time please review your others
Yes i got it from Australia.
Unfortunately i’m away from home for another 3 weeks so no review until i get home

I've reviewed a few razors on this site. I've found links to most of those reviews and posted them below. Enjoy...

I've reviewed a few razors on this site. I've found links to most of those reviews and posted them below. Enjoy...

Cheers

Review No 2

• Gillette Red Flare tip super speed 1956 B3
  • Blade Astra super platinum.
  • Nickel Plated Brass TTO
  • Weight 66 grams (according to my scales)
Keeping with the super speed theme I would say this is my favourite super speed Flair tip.
Of the three razors in the super speed flare tip family , the red tip has the largest blade Gap. (most aggressive)
I believe it only had a short production run from 1955 to 1959.
Like the other flare tips in the family as you can see it shares the rocket nozzle tip made all the more impressive
With the dark red paint.
What really sets this razor apart for me is the knurling on the handle it provides superior grip and really sets it apart as a classic beefy Gillette.
The extra weight (66g) in your hands gives me a Feeling of total control over the razor as opposed to a lighter razor the knurling on the handle really helps similar feeling to the Gillette Fatboy adjustable.
You may notice in the pictures the nickel plated side covers on the razor are missing it came to me with one missing and the other one fell off when I dropped to on the bathroom floor.
But these are just cosmetic and don't change the razor in any way in my opinion.
All in all of one of my favourite vintage Gillette's.
If you can I definitely recommend you acquiring one as the prices are going up as they are with all vintage Gillette's.
Cheers.
IMG_8475.jpg
IMG_8477.jpg

Hey Johnny Bravo How about posting a review of your razors or razor when you have time?
It doesn't have to be vintage mate.
I love to hear about modern razors too as I think most of us do.
DE or SE
Cheers

Review No 2

• Gillette Red Flare tip super speed 1956 B3
  • Blade Astra super platinum.
  • Nickel Plated Brass TTO
  • Weight 66 grams (according to my scales)
Keeping with the super speed theme I would say this is my favourite super speed Flair tip.
Of the three razors in the super speed flare tip family , the red tip has the largest blade Gap. (most aggressive)
I believe it only had a short production run from 1955 to 1959.
Like the other flare tips in the family as you can see it shares the rocket nozzle tip made all the more impressive
With the dark red paint.
What really sets this razor apart for me is the knurling on the handle it provides superior grip and really sets it apart as a classic beefy Gillette.
The extra weight (66g) in your hands gives me a Feeling of total control over the razor as opposed to a lighter razor the knurling on the handle really helps similar feeling to the Gillette Fatboy adjustable.
You may notice in the pictures the nickel plated side covers on the razor are missing it came to me with one missing and the other one fell off when I dropped to on the bathroom floor.
But these are just cosmetic and don't change the razor in any way in my opinion.
All in all of one of my favourite vintage Gillette's.
If you can I definitely recommend you acquiring one as the prices are going up as they are with all vintage Gillette's.
Cheers.
View attachment 124451
View attachment 124452
Great review, we don’t see many Red or Blue tips readily available.

Great review, we don’t see many Red or Blue tips readily available.
That's very true mate The more people that cotton on to the fact Gillette's were made in a
time where things were made properly the more sort after they'll become.
It's like the old Sheffield cutlery there's no way anyone else has ever been able to make stainless steel like that.
I still have my mums old Sheffield cutlery it never tarnishes never rusts and we still use it every day it's in the drawer now
Made to last a life time mate.
Cheers

Gillette Fatboy

Background

The 195 adjustable, or "Fatboy" as it is often known, is a nickel plated brass safety razor that takes standard double edge blades and has a twist-to-open blade loading/unloading mechanism. The 195 moniker refers to its initial purchase price of US$1.95. It was manufactured between quarter 3 of 1958 and quarter one of 1962.
It weighs 79 grams and was introduced with a new line of blades called the Gillette Super Blue. They were silicone coated carbon steel blades and a pack was bundled with the razor in a styrene case.
There were variations of the razor model, such as the gold plated Executive with a different knurling pattern, and the Red Dot which has a red dot as a marker for the selected blade exposure setting rather than an exposed section of the mechanism. It is five grams heavier than the standard Fatboy. There were also four revisions to the basic Fatboy mechanism during its lifespan.

My Experience
I own two Fatboys and find them to be very effective, easy shavers. The head is domed in a such a way that, combined with a middle blade exposure settings, gets me a mild but effective shave with almost all blades. My skin prefers a milder razor but my stubble is tough and wiry; I can easily get a very good or excellent shave in three passes. These factors, combined with a balanced weight that is neither too heavy nor too light, and a handle length that fits nicely in my large hands, leads to an intuitive, effective and enjoyable shaving experience. If I have neglected to shave for several days the highest blade exposure (9) and angle setting will deliver an effective first or second pass usually without causing any skin irritation. I would typically dial down to my more common setting of 5 to 7 for remaining passes and 'touch-ups'. I have found setting four to be the lowest setting that is still useful to me.
In my opinion the aesthetics of the razor are excellent. I feel it is an evolution of the Gillette Toggle adjustable and the US version of the Gillette Aristocrat from the 1940s.

I acquired my first Fatboy, a cosmetically poor but working example, and had it replated in gold. This plating started to visibly wear after several thousand shaves over the next fourteen years (for approximately half this time I lost interest in using the rest of my razor collection and focussed on this razor for the majority of my shaves). I later had this cerakoted in black and I hand-painted the blade exposure numbers and date code with light grey enamel.
My second Fatboy remains in original good condition, with some plate loss on the handle and minor spotting on the silo doors. This razor came cased but without the original blade pack or instructions. For many years I used my own home-printed instructions and a pack of blades that was true to the time period but not this model. Last year a forum member kindly provided me with some original instructions and the correct blades. It now sits proudly on display in my bedroom.

Links & Photos
If you haven't already tried one and are based in the UK why not get yourself added to the forum passaround? https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/pass-around-fatboy.690/post-949139

My first Fatboy, cerakoted to black. Includes the original condition, gold replate and cerakote of that razor:

1940 US Aristocrat - design inspiration?
PXL_20230106_132234943.jpg

Gillette Fatboy
IMG_20240823_122937.jpg

Gillette Fatboy

Background

The 195 adjustable, or "Fatboy" as it is often known, is a nickel plated brass safety razor that takes standard double edge blades and has a twist-to-open blade loading/unloading mechanism. The 195 moniker refers to its initial purchase price of US$1.95. It was manufactured between quarter 3 of 1958 and quarter one of 1962.
It weighs 79 grams and was introduced with a new line of blades called the Gillette Super Blue. They were silicone coated carbon steel blades and a pack was bundled with the razor in a styrene case.
There were variations of the razor model, such as the gold plated Executive with a different knurling pattern, and the Red Dot which has a red dot as a marker for the selected blade exposure setting rather than an exposed section of the mechanism. It is five grams heavier than the standard Fatboy. There were also four revisions to the basic Fatboy mechanism during its lifespan.

My Experience
I own two Fatboys and find them to be very effective, easy shavers. The head is domed in a such a way that, combined with a middle blade exposure settings, gets me a mild but effective shave with almost all blades. My skin prefers a milder razor but my stubble is tough and wiry; I can easily get a very good or excellent shave in three passes. These factors, combined with a balanced weight that is neither too heavy nor too light, and a handle length that fits nicely in my large hands, leads to an intuitive, effective and enjoyable shaving experience. If I have neglected to shave for several days the highest blade exposure (9) and angle setting will deliver an effective first or second pass usually without causing any skin irritation. I would typically dial down to my more common setting of 5 to 7 for remaining passes and 'touch-ups'. I have found setting four to be the lowest setting that is still useful to me.
In my opinion the aesthetics of the razor are excellent. I feel it is an evolution of the Gillette Toggle adjustable and the US version of the Gillette Aristocrat from the 1940s.

I acquired my first Fatboy, a cosmetically poor but working example, and had it replated in gold. This plating started to visibly wear after several thousand shaves over the next fourteen years (for approximately half this time I lost interest in using the rest of my razor collection and focussed on this razor for the majority of my shaves). I later had this cerakoted in black and I hand-painted the blade exposure numbers and date code with light grey enamel.
My second Fatboy remains in original good condition, with some plate loss on the handle and minor spotting on the silo doors. This razor came cased but without the original blade pack or instructions. For many years I used my own home-printed instructions and a pack of blades that was true to the time period but not this model. Last year a forum member kindly provided me with some original instructions and the correct blades. It now sits proudly on display in my bedroom.

Links & Photos
If you haven't already tried one and are based in the UK why not get yourself added to the forum passaround? https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/pass-around-fatboy.690/post-949139

My first Fatboy, cerakoted to black. Includes the original condition, gold replate and cerakote of that razor:

View attachment 124457

Gillette Fatboy
View attachment 124458
Great review, love reading the individual elements of their razors.

Hiya,

The Fatboy was my go to razor for many years, but now rarely used because of this frankenrazor. Yeah, this weird combo is the ONE and something I don't see being replaced. Took a lot of years to finally reach this point but man, it does the trick! Been shaving with this exclusively for the last 6 months.

It's a Stahly head stuck onna beautiful UFO handle that Juan made years ago. Plenty heavy combo that requires no pressure with a very mild shiny chrome head that tames even the sharpest blade but is still extremely efficient and smooth results. This combo is fine for even shaving sensitive neck crop circles with no problems.

These heads aren't expensive and work great on various handles. Worth looking into for sure.

Attachments

• 20240827_075651.jpg
    20240827_075651.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240827_080949.jpg
    20240827_080949.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240827_075843.jpg
    20240827_075843.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 12
Gillette Fatboy

Background

My Experience

Links & Photos

View attachment 124457

Gillette Fatboy
View attachment 124458
Brilliant review NotTheStig and pics I had no Idea the Gillette Fatboy was inspired be the 1940s Aristocrat.
In your pics I can definitely see the similarity.
Thanks for all the detail mate its great reading.
Cheers :)

Hiya,

The Fatboy was my go to razor for many years, but now rarely used because of this frankenrazor. Yeah, this weird combo is the ONE and something I don't see being replaced. Took a lot of years to finally reach this point but man, it does the trick! Been shaving with this exclusively for the last 6 months.

It's a Stahly head stuck onna beautiful UFO handle that Juan made years ago. Plenty heavy combo that requires no pressure with a very mild shiny chrome head that tames even the sharpest blade but is still extremely efficient and smooth results. This combo is fine for even shaving sensitive neck crop circles with no problems.

These heads aren't expensive and work great on various handles. Worth looking into for sure.
Thanks to you I can confirm that head is very good. Perhaps a little too efficient for me (I like something forgiving especially if I a shaving moments after waking up). It's still in my arsenal but doesnt get regular use. Nice as a change-of-pace razor every now and then.
I don't use the huge vibrating sex toy handle, though. A simple bulldog handle from a cheap no-name razor does the job nicely.

Brilliant review NotTheStig and pics I had no Idea the Gillette Fatboy was inspired be the 1940s Aristocrat.
In your pics I can definitely see the similarity.
Thanks for all the detail mate its great reading.
Cheers :)
Not read anything official about that. Just my own observation. That Aristocrat also works really well for me albeit without adjustability. It has that more domed head which the later Slim and Super Adjustable did away with. Those razors don't work so well for me for that reason, and I dislike the longer, thinner handle too!

Back
Top Bottom