Rubies

i did post this on CONUK many moons ago and was promptly shot down in flames by proper curry makers - hunny :(

but for us who are a little inept in t'kitchen or just want something easier but healthier and tastier than un-screwing a jar, try these kits out.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.123curry.co.uk/123curry/asp/curry-kits.asp">http://www.123curry.co.uk/123curry/asp/curry-kits.asp</a><!-- m -->

highly recommended and a piece of piss to make, just watch the videos :D

I had looked at these kits and was tempted to give them a try, but my sister-in-law gave me a basic recipe with the advice to 'adapt and improvise'. Suffice to say, I have done that and I can now rattle off a foolproof curry every time. If I'm in a hurry I can start from scratch and have a fresh home made 'real' curry on the table in half an hour, however the flavour greatly improves when the curry is gently simmered for an hour or two (and it tastes even better the next day). Adding cream and making it very mild gets me loads of brownie points from the missus, while slipping in some chopped up chillies (dried chilli flakes do at a pinch) and using a hotter curry powder goes down well with the lads when we have a few drinks. It's a win win situation all round, cheaper than a takeaway too :D

hando said:
i did post this on CONUK many moons ago and was promptly shot down in flames by proper curry makers - hunny :(

I'm not a proper curry maker - you need Mad Whore Jaffrey's Indian Cookery Course for that :D

In case anyone's looking for it - Kris Dhillon's Curry Secret is the start point for my currys - see here (I have the 2002 edition and the "new" edition - the "new Curry Secret" is better if you like pictures in your recipe books).

My preferred naan recipe is this one but add 1tsp kalonji (black onion) seeds and substitute ghee for the butter

for anyone in West London, after my marriage, come round for some authentic indian food!

That naan recipe posted above, will it turn out ok if I don't use the egg?

I love a good curry, but have never made one from scratch, although i make a good chilli.

Some of these kits, are brilliant for singletons like me.

I might try making a curry from scratch i feel an urge :)

cheers buddy. That helps.

I get the observer for their food monthly and of course, most papers have nice recipes from time to time and all the one's i like have eggs.

The recipes with 1-2 eggs i keep a copy of, hoping that it won't too much of a difference. The one's with many eggs i end up skipping over :(

My sister says the egg replacement stuff isn't very good.

the standard advice for singletons, and busy shift workers, is to make a batch and freeze it in tupperware tubs
i have a gallon stock pot :roll:
everything tastes better the next day, curry, chilli, soups and mince.
chilli works very well having been frozen.
just mind on to freeze it before adding cream and the like

hando said:
the standard advice for singletons, and busy shift workers, is to make a batch and freeze it in tupperware tubs

Not just singletons either, we routinely cook double and freeze as it saves time. Decent tubs are worth investing in as they won't go out of shape over time and lose their seal.

The Mother-in-law makes nice curry.

Have told the wife when she pops her clogs and if I can get 'er owd man out the way I'll be shacking up with her Mum.

She shrugged and said "Oh, OK".

She said the same thing when I told her I'd be getting a Thai bride when she snuffs it too.

My mother-in-law gleefully announced she'd made us a "josh regan". I nearly puked laughing. I thought the missus was going to kill me until I explained that her dear mother meant "rogan josh".

Cooked this today:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Chicken-Tikka-Masala-Recipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog ... ecipe.html</a><!-- m -->

It was very tasty indeed. I like takeaway tikka masala and this hit the spot nicely. Bought the Mr Huda's paste (link within recipe) a few weeks ago and I've been looking forward to using it. The recipe is a little time-consuming but very easy and the result was just what I expected. Not an 'authentic Indian curry' like Madhur Jaffrey would make, but a very decent version of a takeaway favourite.

Back
Top Bottom