Russian PPI produced Blades vs China / India variants

Simply put, i would like to hear from folks who have actually used specific brand blades produced at the St Petersburg Gillette / PPI plant and have now also used the same blade manufactured in another location.

I am interested in finding if there are any noticable differences. I do also appreciate that some of the PPI blades have changed over time, so am thinking of 2018 (ish) and beyond blades from PPI St Petersburg vs blades produced recently elsewhere.

My interest personally is in the Indian Astra SP, which i haven't tried yet, and finding whether the Chinese King C Gillette blade is as excellent (for me) as the Russian ones that came with the razor.

Would also be interested to hear about standout blades produced by Gillette away from Russia. I am reading good things about the Indian Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum "Blacks"

Reactions: ATG
I am interested in finding if there are any noticable differences. I do also appreciate that some of the PPI blades have changed over time, so am thinking of 2018 (ish) and beyond blades from PPI St Petersburg vs blades produced recently elsewhere.

IMO, the only way to really appreciate these blades are to try or use them yourself. Razor Blades Club have a few for sale, and they all list the origin so you know which nation they have come from.

I've read some who say they thought the Russian Astra SP's across the years all shaved the same, but I've had three different batches and they all performed slightly differently to me. Same with the Russian Silver Blue, the double wrap NOS one seemed to be a touch less sharp and a bit smoother than the newer single wrap one, but again I read a few who said they are the same blade. It could well be the same blade, but I'm favouring one over the other. I think this applies to a few other blades of theirs I have used too.

I know there are a number of people here who really rate the Chinese made Gillettes, and I've used most of them (I can think of? They might be some I have missed along the way) and I do not get on with them. The first shave is superb, the second one is ok, the third one will cut my face to shreds.

Some others do not rate Indian Gillettes but they seem to work for my face and my old Gillettes better than most other blades. The often overlooked 365 is a very sharp blade, and works well with mild razor heads. The Permasharp Stainless works well with my OC heads. It's been a while since I used a 7 Black or the Winner Black, but I remember rating those blades very highly when I last used them.

IMO, the only way to really appreciate these blades are to try or use them yourself. Razor Blades Club have a few for sale, and they all list the origin so you know which nation they have come from.
Oh yes you are absolutely right - its a YMMV thing, but i just wanted to gather in a few opinions from people who have used the same blade from different factories.

I think my post 2018 Astra SP from Russia are very slightly "different" to the ones i bought in 2014, but they are essentially the same blade with the same characteristics IMO . I do think that razor blades are probably like many things in life that its very easy to see older stuff thru rose-tinted glasses and it's difficult to compare memories with recent events.

Unfortunately i don't have any of the old ones left to do a comparison, but i remember the switch over when i ran out of the old ones didn't trigger any huge alarm bells.

I am interested in finding something similar to the Russian King C Gillette blade's as i really had good shaves from the ones i got with the razor. Many people seem to think that they are same / similar to Gillette Platinum, but there now seems to be several variants of the Gillette Platinum :unsure:

Oh yes you are absolutely right - its a YMMV thing, but i just wanted to gather in a few opinions from people who have used the same blade from different factories.

I think my post 2018 Astra SP from Russia are very slightly "different" to the ones i bought in 2014, but they are essentially the same blade with the same characteristics IMO . I do think that razor blades are probably like many things in life that its very easy to see older stuff thru rose-tinted glasses and it's difficult to compare memories with recent events.

Unfortunately i don't have any of the old ones left to do a comparison, but i remember the switch over when i ran out of the old ones didn't trigger any huge alarm bells.

I am interested in finding something similar to the Russian King C Gillette blade's as i really had good shaves from the ones i got with the razor. Many people seem to think that they are same / similar to Gillette Platinum, but there now seems to be several variants of the Gillette Platinum :unsure:

I've not used the KCG's, but I have used the two current Russian Gillette Platinums, and some have suggested it is like one of those but I can't say which one. The dark blue packaging found here is a good smooth blade, and this one is quite a bit sharper. I really like the latter one.

I'd buy a packet of each to find out which one it is the closest to the KCG.

I concur ...

In fact, I had very poor memories of Astra Superior Platinum that I bought circa 2013 and bought some of the newer pack with the razor blade symbol & 5 on the front to find they were very good indeed!

... and discontinued.

I've used the Indian production of that blade and find that also very good indeed. They're different. The Indian is sharper, but which I mean I have less residual stubble after one north/south pass. It's also a tad less smooth, but flip that around and I'd say it has that "playful tiger" feel albeit very subtle with the Astra.

I don't see the production shift as a bad thing.

Some others do not rate Indian Gillettes but they seem to work for my face and my old Gillettes better than most other blades. The often overlooked 365 is a very sharp blade, and works well with mild razor heads. The Permasharp Stainless works well with my OC heads. It's been a while since I used a 7 Black or the Winner Black, but I remember rating those blades very highly when I last used them.
Bloomin' love Indian Gillettes! I'd take the 7 O'Clock black over any of the Russian Platinums (and that includes the GSB) and I'd take the 7 O'Clock Permasharp (Green) over the Russian green or yellow happily. Winner Platinum is a real ... er, winner! The stainless, less so but that's a Vertice-made blade.

I've yet to try the new KCG but now I know it's Indian-made, I'll seek out a pack.

I did a back-to-back with the old white box Platinum, new blue box Platinum and Russian KCG a while back and found them all very much the same. I'm not a massive fan, though. But Indian KCG ... will it be the Astra in a fresh box or a subtle different grind?

I've yet to try the new KCG but now I know it's Indian-made, I'll seek out a pack.

I did a back-to-back with the old white box Platinum, new blue box Platinum and Russian KCG a while back and found them all very much the same. I'm not a massive fan, though. But Indian KCG ... will it be the Astra in a fresh box or a subtle different grind?

The new KCG is China made AFAIK, a few people on B&B have come across them.

Bloomin' love Indian Gillettes! I'd take the 7 O'Clock black over any of the Russian Platinums (and that includes the GSB) and I'd take the 7 O'Clock Permasharp (Green) over the Russian green or yellow happily. Winner Platinum is a real ... er, winner! The stainless, less so but that's a Vertice-made blade.

I was revisiting some of the Russian Gillettes before the possible postal ban on blades came through with the intention of adding a few more if needs be. There are a few I didn't like using at all, a few that are ok, and a few that are excellent. There weren't as many as I thought would fit in the latter category, most were in the ok category.

If I had a stash of 365's for my Techs and 7OC Permasharps for my OC's I don't think I'd miss the Russian Gillettes if i could buy no more of them.

In fact, I had very poor memories of Astra Superior Platinum that I bought circa 2013 and bought some of the newer pack with the razor blade symbol & 5 on the front to find they were very good indeed!

... and discontinued.
Confirmed. If they have the 5 on the packaging they are still the old Astra SP production from Russia.

I've used the Indian production of that blade and find that also very good indeed. They're different. The Indian is sharper, but which I mean I have less residual stubble after one north/south pass. It's also a tad less smooth, but flip that around and I'd say it has that "playful tiger" feel albeit very subtle with the Astra.

I don't see the production shift as a bad thing.
Many people wrote this who compared the two blades.
Well then if the Indian Astra is sharper and sharper than the Russian I will see if I can find the old Russian productions, I don't like it too sharp.
These days I will compare them and see what I think the differences are.

The only Russian blade I truly love is the Nacet. Polsilver, SI and GSB are pretty decent but not a patch on the Nacet nor are they worthy of the German Personna.

I love Silver Stars and if it was my only blade, nary a complaint would you hear. Many Lord blades are way better for me nowadays than I first found on this holy shaving pilgrimage. The Platinum Class, for example.

Never liked the Russian Astras or those scrappy face scrapers, the Yellow buggers. Russian Greens aren’t good for me either. I might pick up a tuck (a whole one mind!) of the Indian Astras to see how they fare on my less than fair physog.

Of the Chinese Gillettes, the Super Blue are good if a touch less smooth than my top preferences and London Bridge perform similarly i.e good but not truly great. KCGs I haven’t tried in any flavour. I concur with @donnie_arko in that they are two shaves and done.

The Indian Black is very good blade but given their cost, I’d much rather a Silver Star or Nacet both of which are better for me regardless of their significantly (especially in the case of those lovely Stars of Silver) lower prices.

Almost every blade that @pjgh finds to be a reet food ‘un, fits me like a deerskin glove. Do it for Yorkshire! :ROFLMAO:

However, I cannot abide those ghastly single edged GEMs in the likes of an Everyday 1912 but then I’m a big SE Jessie. At least with their PTFE coating, they’ll smoothly remove the hardest of icy frostings from the car windows! Where else can you get a British-made window scraper with such style and flair? I jest of course.

Matron, old girl, would you kindly refrain from using my 1912 to scrape patients’ spotty backs? They keep leaking claret all over the day room chairs which is most off-putting when Test Match Special is on. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace!

Last edited:
Its interesting that now i am over 60 i feel my skin has changed a little recently and my Russian Astra SP still do a great job, but i feel they are having to plough through fractionally tougher hair these days. They aren't the sharpest for sure, but for me have always been a perfect balance of sharp and smooth. Now it feels like they are having to work a fraction harder.

Hence i am exploring sharper options and this current upheaval courtesy of Putin just makes the job less simple than it used to be.

Am leaning towards trying some Indian Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum "Blacks" for sure, as i am reading so much love for them on the interweb.

Btw, not all Gillette PPI blades are going to be discontinued, so far the ones which have been shifted are ones which were made for markets that have been placed under trade embargos eg Astra SP/SS, Platinums that were made for Eastern Europe, all these blades have been shifted to India & China.

Blades like Nacet (Middle East), 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Pakistan) are still being made AFAIK. I have blades of the latter that were made in 2022 after the Ukraine war had started and Russia was hit with trade embargos. There are a few blades that have no specific market like Silver Blues that it's not entirely clear what will happen to those in the future.

Certain blades eg Rubie, Sputnik are Russia only blades and they can be bought as usual in Russia but due to embargos none are leaving the nation.

Back
Top Bottom