Tabac/Arko week shave 1

Confiança Redondo pre-shave soap
Hot flannel prep with Proraso eucalyptus and menthol pre/post
Vulfix Grosvenor handle with TGN 2-band fan knot
Tabac stick, face-lathered
Gillette Slim
Rapira Swedish Superstainless (2)
Nivea Sensitive ASB

3 passes, DFS results but 1 weeper which required use of the styptic.

I must admit that I'm inexperienced with trying to apply soap from a shave stick - it either slides around transferring nothing or sticks - still, a very good lather resulted, which reduced the discomfort from the blade, which I just can't get on with.:blush::icon_rolleyes:

dodgy said:
Now first let me state this is in no way an attempt to do anything other than maybe educate a few of the newer members. By far my favorite of the Old Type versions.

It's a 1919 Gillette Bulldog, which is a good description of how this bloodsu.....of how aggressive it is on my face. Silver plating and a rare US bulldog handle design.

This one musta been sold to a German market, having all German blades in the holder and the silver case says 'Made in Germany'. These old silver plated beauties can clean up amazingly well after the tarnish is easily removed.

As Brian mentioned, most Old Type versions are very reasonable for what you can get.

Here you go:

Not more bloody enabling!!

Fine lookin' shavin' iron there pardner.

eastwood.jpg

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
New Forest 1901 brush, MWF
EJ De89/Weber Bulldog handle, Rapira SS (1)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

Decided to re-audition my EJ De89 as a travel razor, albeit with the Bulldog handle. Very nice results

Merkur 34C with Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Ingrams cream
C&E Sienna ASB

Never used a menthol shaving cream before - wow - tingly face.

Will probably wear Acqua di Gio when I do go out later.

dodgy said:
782sirbrian said:
Razor: Gillette 'Old' Mayfair Set + 1 Shim

The 'Old' shaves great as (in my opinion) they all do. Thanks to Antdad for the soap.

Hello Dick,
I see I have raised your interest in the Old type razors. I'm very pleased with the shave I get from mine. Surprising as it's one of the cheapest razors I've bought.
Regards Brian

Oh, hello there fellows,

Now first let me state this is in no way an attempt to do anything other than maybe educate a few of the newer members. By far my favorite of the Old Type versions.

It's a 1919 Gillette Bulldog, which is a good description of how this bloodsu.....of how aggressive it is on my face. Silver plating and a rare US bulldog handle design.

This one musta been sold to a German market, having all German blades in the holder and the silver case says 'Made in Germany'. These old silver plated beauties can clean up amazingly well after the tarnish is easily removed.

As Brian mentioned, most Old Type versions are very reasonable for what you can get.

Here you go:
[/quote]

I've been watching these old types with some interest as I have a home made tuck away, I could be wrong but I like the way nobody's mentioned the manipulation of the blade during the screw down to get an even blade as the original blades just had three circular holes in them and modern blades tend to squirm around :s

John said:
[ I could be wrong but I like the way nobody's mentioned the manipulation of the blade during the screw down to get an even blade as the original blades just had three circular holes in them and modern blades tend to squirm around :s

It's not just the Old Types that need watching as they're tightened up. Some other razors of mine are like that as well, and actually with any head design like that I will always eyeball things before shaving.

*erasmic cream
*Isana boar brush
*Merkur 43C

return to the merkur for this shave. also used -

erasmic cream face wash
Gillette Yellow (3)
alum
alcohado glacial
Quicksilver A/B
Quicksilver Edt

love the lather of the erasmic - i'm really learning a lot by using the same cream. the brush is similar to the men u boar/bristle brush - i picked it up for 3 quid in poland last year and it performs well - if it was the only brush i had i would be happy. Not overly enjoying the razor though - it does the job but i'm not getting that "great shave" buzz from it.

dodgy said:
John said:
[ I could be wrong but I like the way nobody's mentioned the manipulation of the blade during the screw down to get an even blade as the original blades just had three circular holes in them and modern blades tend to squirm around :s

It's not just the Old Types that need watching as they're tightened up. Some other razors of mine are like that as well, and actually with any head design like that I will always eyeball things before shaving.

Very wise words, makes me wounder how meny people have had a good face rape due to lack of knowledge I know I did :blush:

Back
Top Bottom