Saturday 28th November to Friday 4th December 2020.

28/11/20
View attachment 61561
Straight Shave Saturday
Pre: Face wash with Whickams pre shave soap
Brush: Simpson Duke 2
Soap: Vitos Extra super
Razor: Osborne, Garrett & Co Ltd 1899 - 1923. The Kropp 6/8th #1
Edge by: Andrew @Shavers Delight
Post shave: Cold water splash, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 EDC
View attachment 61562
I decided to break out the very generous sample of Vitos Extra Super which was kindly gifted to me by @Electrif, its a terrific, simple soap which produces a wonderful lather very easily, today face lathered for a lovely cushioned slick covering. I will keep this in the bathroom this week alongside the Tabac and MWF.
I find this Kropp has a wonderful edge on it making my 2 pass shave easy and smooth leaving me with a DFS+ finish.

@tbaac i am about 5months into this straight journey (although i did shave for a good few months with str8's a while back). Things are starting to click and my confidence is much better. I mainly complete a WTG pass, then a second pass WTG/XTG mix on the cheeks and ATG on the neck. I also found the chin area a bit difficult to start with but i manage fine now.
Don't rush or chase a BBS shave, take your time and enjoy the learning curve, better shaves will come, there is no shame in completing 1 pass with your straight and finishing with a DE/SE razor until you are more comfortable and happier with your technique.
Stick with it and good luck.

Stay safe and enjoy your day All.
Looks a lovely shave Tony , glad you found your Mojo with the straights.

Saturday Shave

Pre: Argan Oil Soap
Soap: Felice Aromatica 4.3
Brush: Shavemac 26mm Synthetic
Razor: Tanifuji 935
A/S: Quorum
Balm: Bart's Amber and Jasmine
EDT: Azzaro Pour Homme

I really like Japanese Straight Razor's and I think this Tanifuji is probably my favourite straight razor at present, I wonderful 3 Pass BBS Shave. The S.V. 4.3 Beta for me is an improvement to an already outstanding soap.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

20201128_112435 2.jpg

Did you have to go public with the wound or did the working from home arrangement allow you to keep it hidden?

Saying that, facial injuries incurred by straight razor shaving are generally considered pretty macho!
In was fairly small so not noticeable on Video Calls :0) , like most Straight wounds it looks worse when you first do them.

Pre - Shower / Face wash
Soap - TOBS Sandalwood
Brush - Razorock Bruce
Razor - ESC Outlaw
Blade - Gillette Nacet (1)
Post - Old Spice As - Followed with Moisturiser

First try with the ESC Outlaw standard head on the proper handle. Two and a half pass shave, with satisfactory results. I did spot a weeper on the first pass, which disappeared by the second. Maybe getting more use will make me change my opinion, I'm certainly not going to rave about it like I saw in one post. It's certainly not a two pass razor as ESC claim. I have had better results with my humble Merkur 34. It is a new blade for me, which did work well on my Merkur.

IMG_8239.jpg

Saturday AM 2020-11-28
National French Toast Day
Z3GyRjx.jpg

Rooney Emillion 1 Porcelain Finest (24/51)
Ralph Lauren Safari shaving soap (tallow)
Paradigm 17-4
Polsilver Super Iridium (12)
Ralph Lauren Safari aftershave (vintage)
DHrlF2r.jpg

Saturday 28th November

ACtC-3eOqOHQVRi77JwPpGVzKtnGUDJYlo0o4AXzjBKNH45M0VY96RX-yr_aLP1utER6zZk2_28dWRcKoAINrNugMiUndVe_rXLrIufIksFvd9nzcBm4UxNkP1_PYx1Imd11RCP5yhDGQ-10RRzSEq-iM_3y0g=w1200

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with RazoRock SMDF & Mohawk 5-341 w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Two pass (2 days) shave with late 1950s/early 1960s Gillette Tech & Lord Super Chrome (1)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & alum wash
RazoRock SMDF Aftershave​

Boy, oh boy! That was right up my street ...

Voluminous and thick lather from the really very excellent soap and a very smooth and comfortable shave with the Lord Super Chrome. Shout out to Shubs @donnie_arko for the blade - cheers, pal! I have used a Shark Super Chrome before, which I am prety sure is the same blade but did not particularly form an opinion then. Looking at my notes for the Shark Super Chrome, I simply put that it mellowed a lot during the first shave which rather makes me think I found it very sharp and perhaps a tad harsh with the first few strokes. With the Lord, not so ... just smooth running and a shave that is very much my kinda shave. Very nice indeed! Compared to the Lord Platinum Class that I have just finished, the Super Chrome is much more my kinda blade.

The brush is a vintage handle which I popped a PurTech knot into. Back in those days (circa 2015?) synthetic knots were still a little convoluted to come by and the trend for large knots had not taken off, so at the time it did feel like a large brush. Even now, it feels more like a 24mm. My razor of choice tonight was one of those Gillettes that has an aluminium baseplate and handle, the latter which I swapped out for a Souplex handle of the period which I particularly like. The guard rarely comes into play for me while shaving, so material is ... well, immaterial. It's just a light razor altogether in this format.

Cracking shave, that!

Last edited:
SOTD 28 November 2020 :)

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Kiehls Facial Fuel, and Elemis shave oil, with cold water splash.
Soap: Arko shaving stick.
Brush: Muhle Silvertip Fiber.
Razor: Colonial Silversmith.
Blade: Lord Platinum Class (Day 1).
Post: Cold water splash - Swiss Pitralon, Moroccanoil Argan Oil, and Kiehl's Facial Fuel Moisturiser.

I have been shaving with the Blackland Tradere for about 2 1/2 weeks, and decided it was time for a change. I ordered some Lord Platinum's and wanted to use those for the first run-out with the Silversmith - for me that is a 'safe' DE.

The Arko as ever produced a think protective lather, with great glide; the Lord Platinum in the Silversmith paired well - a 3 pass WTG and XTG, gave a DFS+ finish, with no issues to report. Not 100% convinved about the Lord Platinum - a good smooth shave, however, post shave, my skin feel felt odd.

A cold, frosty day and SWMBO wanted to go for a walk; playing it safe, I decided my skin needed some extra protection from the elements: the argan Oil and the Kielhl's moisturiser did the trick.

I enjoyed the shave and the set-up; the walk was good fun too.

Hope everyone is safe and well; have a great weekend,

Chris

Saturday 28th November

ACtC-3eOqOHQVRi77JwPpGVzKtnGUDJYlo0o4AXzjBKNH45M0VY96RX-yr_aLP1utER6zZk2_28dWRcKoAINrNugMiUndVe_rXLrIufIksFvd9nzcBm4UxNkP1_PYx1Imd11RCP5yhDGQ-10RRzSEq-iM_3y0g=w1200

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with RazoRock SMDF & Mohawk 5-341 w/PurTech Synthetic 22mm
Two pass (2 days) shave with late 1950s/early 1960s Gillette Tech & Lord Super Chrome (1)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & alum wash
RazoRock SMDF Aftershave​

Boy, oh boy! That was right up my street ...

Voluminous and thick lather from the realy very excellent soap and a very smooth and comfortable shave with the Lord Super Chrome. Shout out to Shubs @donnie_arko for the blade - cheers, pal! I have used a Shark Super Chrome before, which I am prety sure is the same blade but did not particularly form an opinion then. Looking at my notes for the Shark Super Chrome, I simply put that it mellowed a lot during the first shave which rather makes me think I found it very sharp and perhaps a tad harsh with the first few strokes. With the Lord, not so ... just smooth running and a shave that is very much my kinda shave. Very nice indeed! Compared to the Lord Platinum Class that I have just finished, the Super Chrome is much more my kinda blade.

The brush is a vintage handle which I popped a PurTech knot into. Back in those days (circa 2015?) synthetic knots were still a little convoluted to come back and the trend for large knots had not taken off, so at the time it did feel like a large brush. Even now, it feels more like a 24mm. My razor of choice tonight was one of those Gillettes that has an aluminium baseplate and handle, the latter which I swapped out for a Souplex handle of the period which I particularly like. The guard rarely comes into play for me while shaving, so material is ... well, immaterial. It's just a light razor altogether in this format.

Cracking shave, that!
Thanks for the tag.

I love the look of the handle, I much prefer aesthetics of handles of such an ilk opposed to many resin handles like ones sold by Yaqi/Razorock which I find a little cumbersome in the shave.

Back
Top Bottom