Scuttle or mug?

Ids

I'm after some opinions here, I'm debating getting a scuttle or mug and it's more than Likely going to be a Steve Woodhead piece, what do people use and what advantages do each give?

Thanks

used to use a scuttle i got from steve a small one...nice in the winter...but to be honest gets used less and less

but heres a one i am helping with ideas for him....not yet fired up he is busy this week i know ...it is of 2 part contruction an inner and outer bowl

cant wait to try it

I like that! It's a lot less 'tea pot' looking, I liked the shape of the moss scuttles.

Do you know what the sizes are of that?

They are things of beauty the Woodhead pieces.
However I use an old tin / enamel mug which when sat in the sink keeps the foam nicely warm and doubles up as somewhere to keep my tackle.
That said I only use foam/soap a couple of times a week.
I suppose its how much ritual you put into the shaving and how much time you want to spend preparing, doing the deed and then clearing up afterwards. Which is why I use oil a lot - its quick.

Downstairs trap shave kit.

I always bowl lather and the bowl sits on/in one of those old 'soup in a cup' mugs.
keeps the lather nice and warm and its easy to clean afterwards.
I keep thinking about a custom made pair but haven't found a local potter yet.
Don't think I'd want a traditional scuttle though, I prefer separates.
regards, beejay

Things have moved on since I started this thread. UK potters making this stuff for starters.

But there may be some comments of interest.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=871&hilit=dirty+bird" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=871&hilit=dirty+bird</a><!-- l -->

n1vlo said:
used to use a scuttle i got from steve a small one...nice in the winter...but to be honest gets used less and less

but heres a one i am helping with ideas for him....not yet fired up he is busy this week i know ...it is of 2 part contruction an inner and outer bowl

cant wait to try it

I like the look of that. Very nice.

Lipsy

Iasked steve to create me a mug as per his normal shaving bowls (110 x 80cm)but with a bowl a bit like an upside down top hat to fit in the mug 7cm wide by 6cm deep as kind of brush warmer.

I'm summer I can use the mug as per, then in winter lather up in the mug, then fill it with hot water pop in the extra bowl and voilà a brush warmer. Well that's the plan, if it doesn't work then I still have a cracking lather mug.

Any ideas on this?

Sounds like a good combination Ids.

I have a Steve Woodhead Mug which is quick and easy, I fill the sink with hot water dunk the mug in the sink and leave it there while I shower. By the time I am ready to shave the mug has absorbed enough heat for a normal weekday two pass shave. I also have a Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle, this holds a good volume of water and is for the more leisurely days, I have to watch I do not overheat it as this destroys most lathers but it is good at making lots of lather, fantastic with creams and big brushes. In theory the ridged pattern should make no difference but I enjoy using this scuttle, nothing seems to make lather quite like it..

The last one I use is a brush scuttle, this is great for both face lathering and shaving in the shower. With no need for a lather bowl (although I have a small matching one) this heats the brush right through to the core and and the drying effect of the heat is negligible as the brush is bunged in the conical inner scuttle like a plug; if necessary I drip a few drops into the pot to keep the mix loose enough.

Over time I have came to the conclusion that scuttles are more useful if you have a cold bathroom, in the harsh winter there is nothing worse than taking a cold brush to your face. However in today's age of comfort living in the winter I sit around in my shorts and eat ice cream, most houses have an efficient central heating system with a timer, so when I get up for work the bathroom is toasty warm, probably warmer than it is in the summer. The warm lather or brush is just a nice to have than an essential item.

Really anything will do the job, for the first few years I used a big cappuccino mug but the scuttles and bowls are both functional and nice to look at. It is a difficult choice if you have never tired a scuttle, but your idea of a dual purpose item sound like a good middle ground; I would be interested to see a picture when you get it.

I suppose a brush scuttle is what the add on bit makes it, except you create the later in the mug rather than on your mug, I was thinking the conical shape to have a depth of 6cm and a width of 7cm with a 2cm lip?

I'd need to get off my ass to go measure it, and I will do that later, but this is a pic of the brush scuttle

IMG_0435.jpg

Back
Top Bottom