Seiko auto diver needs regulating

I have a Seiko SKX007 auto divers watch.
It used to gain about 1 minute every 2 weeks, not bad really.
But over the past few months it has started gaining more. Now its about 5 to 6 minutes every 3 or 4 days. Not really sure as I have not been keeping a good track of it, but its certainly getting worse.

I did ask at my local watch repairer but the guy was far from helpful. He told me it would need a service first, approx. £80. Then regulating it would be extra. And when he saw it was a diver watch he insisted it would have to go off to be pressure sealed. Far too much for an £80 watch.
And the guy was down right rude (confirmed by a couple of other people I know who have had the misfortune to visit him).

I have seen a couple of youtube vids of people regulating them. I have a watch back tool, usb microphone and am prepared to give it a go.
But has anyone done it? Any hints / tips?
Or should I leave it well alone?
Or anyone else I can try to get it done cheaper?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IMO any decent watchmaker should be able to regulate a 7s26 movement. I don't know anymore what I paid at Wesselink & Vreeker (Dutch, so that won't help you) but certainly nothing close to £80. Ten pounds comes closer.

You might have magnetized the movement by putting it onto or close to a strong magnetic field. The type of symptoms you described are reminiscent if a moments whose balance wheel has been affected my magnetism. Something that a good watchmaker can resolve in about 30secs using a de-magnetizer. It should be offered for free. At least Omega does...do that first before you shell out the cash. Chances are they charge you for the "repair", and all they do is demagnetize the movement. My 2 cents...

How old is the watch? If it's more than a few years I would probably opt for a service. Regulating might work, but it has likely changed for a reason. Watches do need the odd little bit of TLC.

It may seem pricey for a comparatively cheap watch, but you'll get another 5 years or so out of it before it needs doing again.

How old is the watch?

When the lubricants in a watch start to evaporate and dry out friction starts to have a bigger influence on the movement of the gear train and escapement. The amplitude of the watch begins to fall. This means, that little wheel that you see in a watch that rocks back and forth doesn't swing around as far as it is supposed to.
A well serviced movement will have a swing (amplitude) of 270-310 degrees when lying flat. As the amplitude decreases it locks and unlocks the escapement quicker because it has less distance to travel.
This causes the watch to start gaining time.
Coupled with the increase in friction in the mainspring due to lack of lubricant, the mainspring doesn't output as much power.

The symptoms you describe indicate a service is needed.

A proper service on that watch would be in the region of 80-90 pounds, that should include disassembly including removing the shock jewels, cleaning in a proper cleaning machine, reassembly using correct spec lubricants, replacing the crown and back gaskets, regulating the watch and pressure testing it.
This is one of the pitfalls of mechanical movements, a service like this on a R olex at a approved agent would probably be around £400

I would not recommend trying to regulate the watch yourself, the regulator will be able to adjust discrepancies (of a serviced watch) in the region of a few seconds, when the watch is minutes out it is time for a service.

My tutor (I am training in Horology) has his own business http://www.clock-watches.co.uk/who-are-Antique-&-Modern
I am in class tomorrow and I will ask him what he charges on a Seiko service. He is very good ;)

Thanks all for the advice.
jaycey, what you said makes perfect sense. A layman (myself included) would think a watch would start losing time. If you could find out a cost as it sounds like it does need a service.

Two more watch shops this morning gave me prices.
One said 'possibly up to £200 for a service'. She suggested going to another shop who is a Seiko dealer.
They quoted fixed price of £125 for a service going back to Seiko.

I appreciate that for the work and time involved the prices are probably reasonable, and would be fine for a £1000 watch. But when you consider my watch was £80 and that new ones are available online for approx £120 ish, I really have to consider what to do.

It's tough at this price point. I guess Seiko can pop these out cheaper than the labour in servicing them. Have you checked how much a new movement might be?

I get where you are coming from, but hate it when it's cheaper to buy new than fix. It seems so wrong and wasteful.

Back
Top Bottom