Shoes

Reading the Brogues Thread highlighted that quite a few of us here put some thought into our shoes. Thought I would start a little thread to discuss our preferences, talk about what we've got and show our collections.

I have ended buying three (well, technically four) pairs in the last week or so as a few of mine have given up recently.

First up is a pair of IKON Selecta, which I am really happy with. They are nicely comfortable, fit well, seem well made and (I think) look great. Remind me of my youth!

Next up I got a pair of Loake Princeton. I bought them at lunchtime, and they were so comfy I ordered a pair of Loake 4504 that very afternoon. Loake were really quick and thorough answering my emails. Unfortunately the Princetons went back the next day as the stitching was coming undone on both shoes! Anyway, I swapped them for some Loake 102B brogues which look great, and are almost broken it now. The leather is stiffer on the brogues.

The 4504s turned up yesterday. They are Italian made with Nappa leather, and are so soft. Another very comfortable pair of shoes.

So that's the new additions to my wardrobe. I might pick up a pair of rubber soled Loakes for the winter, but I do have a couple of pairs of DMs and some rubber soled M&S brogues so I don't really need to. Still, who knows? Maybe when the brogues' soles split, which that particular design do tend to....

So, what's your latest and greatest?

Visit Samuel Windsor site, I bought a pair of their black tassled loafers for I think about £35,they are excellent.They often have reduced "deals".

Sam.

They even have a little video of each style of shoe to look at,well worth a visit.They have two ranges,the "classic" and the "prestige".

Sam.

Sorry, once again this site won't let me post more than a few words without saying I've attached too many pictures. Getting frustrating. Will PM you a detailed response. I apologise that it looks like I'll be unable to add detailed responses to this thread (again).

PM sent. Seems any decent length post I make gets rejected. If you can paste the response in here that would be great, cheers.

I'm going to call it a day now. Sick of typing out response just to be told I've included too many pictures (when there are none) and to have the post rejected.

This is the message I keep getting:

If you received this whilst trying to post a message or a reply. It's likely that you have too many attachments and/or images in your post.

No attachments in my post. It seems linked to post size though.

geordie sam said:
I have never owned a pair of Loake's so I don't really know what I'm talking about,but are you not just paying for the name,in the same way popular aftershaves/colognes are over priced.?

I would say no.

I had a pair of Samuel Windsor brogues with a rubber sole that tried to look like a Dainite sole. The sole split in a fairly short period of time, screw heads wore though the lining beneath my heel and became uncomfortable and the uppers failed after about 2.5 years with the shoes having to be thrown away.

My Loake Badmintons, however, are getting towards 2 years old, look better than when they were new and the heal/sole is probably no more than a third worn. Once they are worn out, I would expect (based on previous experience) that I should be able to get them replaced a couple of times before the uppers are too far gone.

So, if you work out the cost per year (if you're happy to have the same shoes for > 10 years, as I am), there is little to choose between them on cost but the Loakes will look much better over that period.

Also, and this is important to me though it may not be to others, the Loake and Barker shoes that I have are both manufactured in the UK so, in purchasing them, I am supporting British manufacturing and workers.

_

P.S. YMMV ;-)

geordie sam said:
I have never owned a pair of Loake's so I don't really know what I'm talking about,but are you not just paying for the name,in the same way popular aftershaves/colognes are over priced.?

Sam.

I have several pairs of Loakes as well as Church's and other premium makes. Loakes are a good quality manufacturer and I wouldn't say they are at the real premium end - you get good quality at a reasonable price.

You can't begin to compare a quality leather soled and upper shoe in terms of price against some moulded rubber and nylon trainers that carry a £100 tag.

About 8 years ago, my wife bought me a pair of brown brogues to replace the ones that I'd been wearing for the previous 20 years - I'd had them re-soled once. Seems like good value to me.

harrinp1 said:
Are shoe stretchers recommended and if so where is a good source for these?

Also do you drive in your good quality shoes or swap them?

Shoe trees are essential for quality leather shoes IMO. It will prolong their life, as well as help keep their shape. I just bought a couple pairs from Gentlemen Prefer Brogues (no affiliation). Excellent quality and superb service.

A couple of mine came from there too. Waitrose sticks the simply front piece and spring design trees. Pediwear send you a pair with your new Loake shoes.

FrankieG said:
Shoe trees are essential for quality leather shoes IMO. It will prolong their life, as well as help keep their shape. I just bought a couple pairs from Gentlemen Prefer Brogues (no affiliation). Excellent quality and superb service.

I'm intrigued that someone should mention this site, which I recently discovered myself. Has anyone bought any of their actual shoes? They look quite decent and certainly claim to be well made (calf leather, Goodyear welting etc) albeit made in India, rather than Northampton...

I haven't, but I also wouldn't worry about where they are made. I have Loake shoes made in England, Italy and India. All are very well finished. I have also had shoes made in the UK which needed to be returned. I would just judge them by their own merits.

I recently bought a pair of these from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321218645110
Decent quality for the price and they were delivered next day for free.

Back
Top Bottom