Soap issue with boar brushes - advice needed

I view horse as the poor man's boar, they never quite feel as good, and after a time they get moppy and start shedding. Many modern horse brushes are too soft and flimsy, too much mane and not enough tail hair, they're made for modern "men". If you can find a vintage Ever~Ready brown horse hair brush get it, they beat all the modern ones by a mile.
Too generalised for me because there are different types of hair in both horse and boar but they tend to even out as they are broken in.

Looking at my boar brushes, my Semogue 810 and 820 were much softer than my relatively cheap Omega 10065 but after breaking in the only difference is that the Semogue is bushier but the shaving performace of both is much the same.

With horse there is less variation between the two main types, mane and tail. But there is the rather confusing "50/50" which is mainly undefined: We take it to mean 50% mane and 50% tail but there are mixed horse and badger as well as mixed horse and boar.

But breaking in of horse largely entails getting rid of the pong whereas breaking in of boar is a more lengthy process of splitting the hair to form hooks at the ends of each hair making it softer and more efficient.

Further, the term "boar" is largely something of a misnomer: I have known newbies who think the hair of boar brushes comes from wild boar and don't know the hair comes from pigs whichj are killed in pork meat production.

Lastly we might deduce from horse frequently selling out whereas boar is almost always in stock that horse is more popular amonst shavers than boar so that demand is outstripping supply.

Too generalised for me because there are different types of hair in both horse and boar but they tend to even out as they are broken in.

Looking at my boar brushes, my Semogue 810 and 820 were much softer than my relatively cheap Omega 10065 but after breaking in the only difference is that the Semogue is bushier but the shaving performace of both is much the same.

With horse there is less variation between the two main types, mane and tail. But there is the rather confusing "50/50" which is mainly undefined: We take it to mean 50% mane and 50% tail but there are mixed horse and badger as well as mixed horse and boar.

But breaking in of horse largely entails getting rid of the pong whereas breaking in of boar is a more lengthy process of splitting the hair to form hooks at the ends of each hair making it softer and more efficient.

Further, the term "boar" is largely something of a misnomer: I have known newbies who think the hair of boar brushes comes from wild boar and don't know the hair comes from pigs whichj are killed in pork meat production.

Lastly we might deduce from horse frequently selling out whereas boar is almost always in stock that horse is more popular amonst shavers than boar so that demand is outstripping supply.
Iv never actually known horse hair brushes to sell out but having said that iv never paid attention although im fairly sure if they sell out it’s because the seller didn’t have that many.
Take every forum & take every youtube channel no one actually uses horse hair.
Yes the odd person like me might have the odd one or two horse hair brushes but the reason there isn’t many is because no one wants them.

Last edited:
Iv never actually known horse hair brushes to sell out but having said that iv never paid attention although im fairly sure if they sell out it’s because the seller didn’t have that many.
Take every forum & take every youtube channel no one actually uses horse hair.
Yes the odd person like me might have the odd one or two horse hair brushes but the reason there isn’t many is because no one wants them.
I've never heard of them selling out anywhere either, but they probably don't stock many in the first place because people just don't want them. Boar brushes tend to get better with use whereas horse only goes downhill and dies.
Most shavers are aware of synthetic, badger, and boar, but horse is a bit off an outlier.

I've never heard of them selling out anywhere either, but they probably don't stock many in the first place because people just don't want them. Boar brushes tend to get better with use whereas horse only goes downhill and dies.
Most shavers are aware of synthetic, badger, and boar, but horse is a bit off an outlier.
Agreed Toby but getting back to the OPs question i agree with yourself in saying what’s wrong with actually going back in for more soap.
there’s no rule saying a brush must contain enough soap for 2-3 passes.
it’s a something & nothing dilemma really.

Agreed Toby but getting back to the OPs question i agree with yourself in saying what’s wrong with actually going back in for more soap?

Efficiency, man! Efficiency!

I've got it down to a quick spit on the bristles, just the one swirl on the soap and boom! Lather! Shaving is the same story ... three passes? Not on your nelly! Even my one-pass is now down to just the one stroke. Swish! Smooth as a dolphin.

thanks all - boar working well for me now. i guess as a relative newcomer i was just surprised at how quickly the soap 'disappeared' in my boars versus the synthetics (where such a relatively small amount of soap or cream would make enough for 4 passes) and thought i was doing something wrong. Also, I think my technique has improved massively now and I am definitely just a 2 pass man now with minimal touch ups

thanks all - boar working well for me now. i guess as a relative newcomer i was just surprised at how quickly the soap 'disappeared' in my boars versus the synthetics (where such a relatively small amount of soap or cream would make enough for 4 passes) and thought i was doing something wrong. Also, I think my technique has improved massively now and I am definitely just a 2 pass man now with minimal touch ups
Well done mate.
Techniques take a while to learn but as you say your there now so good luck with it all

Efficiency, man! Efficiency!

I've got it down to a quick spit on the bristles, just the one swirl on the soap and boom! Lather! Shaving is the same story ... three passes? Not on your nelly! Even my one-pass is now down to just the one stroke. Swish! Smooth as a dolphin.
If you're in a hurry, just use high alcohol aftershave and light 'er up! Skip the razor and all the other shenanigans!!!

Such opposition against horse hair! But we all have our favourites and it's those we support. But try ordering a Vie Long horse hair or a Zenith 50/50. They are there but you'll need to search for them or fill out the "tell me when they are in stock" form. Some U.K. suppliers such as Maguires Barbershop stock a few but generally have given up.

If demand does not exceed supply why are Vie Long horse hair listed by retailers such as Shave Lounge stated to be out of stock?

The truth is out there but only if eyes are open.

But why are Vie Long horse hair brushes so popular? It most likely relates to their production method where the tips of the hair are processed to be softer and therefore as I stated in my previous post results in the only breaking in needed is to get rid of the pong and that can be achieved in a week. Relate that to boar which might achieve the same quality after breaking in for a month or three.

Lastly, it's not "Boar" it's "Pig".

Such opposition against horse hair! But we all have our favourites and it's those we support. But try ordering a Vie Long horse hair or a Zenith 50/50. They are there but you'll need to search for them or fill out the "tell me when they are in stock" form. Some U.K. suppliers such as Maguires Barbershop stock a few but generally have given up.

If demand does not exceed supply why are Vie Long horse hair listed by retailers such as Shave Lounge stated to be out of stock?

But why are Vie Long horse hair brushes so popular? It most likely relates to their production method where the tips of the hair are processed to be softer and therefore as I stated in my previous post results in the only breaking in needed is to get rid of the pong and that can be achieved in a week. Relate that to boar which might achieve the same quality after breaking in for a month or three.

i’m not in opposition to horse hair & yes the truth is out there if eyes are open and the facts are not many people use horse hair.
It doesn’t matter how many brushes are sold and it doesn’t matter how many brushes are out of stock what matters is the SOTD,
Read them go back in history & search them and not many people use horse hair.
This is a fact & not an assumption.
I have one horse hair brush which i probably use once or maybe twice per year.
I’m not saying i don’t like it but it’s certainly not popular or used by many on forums

OK guys let's not point fingers here, I have 1 faux pony which is sort of OK, however, it's in a brilliant handle, one day it will be swapped.
@Anthorn , go for it and each to their own. If you post some photos in use I would be prepared to to try them again.
Go4it

Unless they're only made with male pig, but that I don't know. Genuinely curious on that one though.
It's bristle, or hog bristle.

Back
Top Bottom