Some simple questions...

G

Fairly new to all of this, but I have been practicing for a couple of weeks on and off, and I have a couple of questions that I can’t find answers to elsewhere on the forum.

1 Blade edges are numbered 1,2,3,4 this seems to imply that they can be flipped over, is this the case?

2 What is the process you use, at the moment I:
Shower and use a face scrup,
Then knock up some lather and apply it to my face and shave with the grain,
Then re-lather and go across it (or sometimes with it again)
Then rinse in warm water and pat dry,
Then apply some balm (body shop stuff that I already had although I'm finding my chin greasy by lunchtime)

Am I missing out any bits? Any suggestions?

I'm getting some good results. The grain on my neck is a swirl so it’s a bit tricky to get right, although so far I have had no cuts or red lumps.

I'm using an EJ89 with Darby blades, boots cream and a synthetic brush.

Also if there are any other newbie’s reading this I have found that shaving in the evening is better for me as I can take my time and I'm not rushing for work or fighting with the Mrs for the mirror.

Cheers Guys

Fitz linson said:
Fairly new to all of this, but I have been practicing for a couple of weeks on and off, and I have a couple of questions that I can’t find answers to elsewhere on the forum.

1 Blade edges are numbered 1,2,3,4 this seems to imply that they can be flipped over, is this the case?

Take no notice it's for the manufacturers.

2 What is the process you use, at the moment I:
Shower and use a face scrup,
Then knock up some lather and apply it to my face and shave with the grain,
Then re-lather and go across it (or sometimes with it again)
Then rinse in warm water and pat dry,
Then apply some balm (body shop stuff that I already had although I'm finding my chin greasy by lunchtime)

Seems reasonable. If you like the balm but find it a bit greasy you might just want to cut it with some alcohol based something, Edit: water or witch hazel

Am I missing out any bits? Any suggestions?

Blade sample pack, there are better blades IMO

I'm getting some good results. The grain on my neck is a swirl so it’s a bit tricky to get right, although so far I have had no cuts or red lumps.

I'm using an EJ89 with Darby blades, boots cream and a synthetic brush.

Also if there are any other newbie’s reading this I have found that shaving in the evening is better for me as I can take my time and I'm not rushing for work or fighting with the Mrs for the mirror.

Cheers Guys

Sounds good to me! The general consensus with the numbers is that they are simply part of the manufacturing process, perhaps quality control. Flipping the blade over shouldn't make any difference to its life-span. Talking of blade life-span, as you are just starting out I'd change blades after no more than three uses. As you get more experienced and perhaps try new blades you may find you get more out of them, but for now best to be on the safe side.

I have a very similar routine to you, and agree that a 'night-shave' is far more relaxing and pleasurable than a hurried on first thing in the morning. Stick with your set-up for a good couple of weeks, then you may want to try something new. I have no issue with Derby blades, but you may have read here that many consider them average at best, so you may wish to get a sample pack of blades to slowly work through. The other thing you might consider is changing your brush to a boar or badger brush. Again you may have read a lot of good stuff about the Vulfix 404. A great starter brush for little over a tenner.

If you feel the balm is too greasy you could try an aftershave splash. There are all sorts about at wildly varying prices. If you're in Tesco this week you could do a lot worse than Old Spice Whitewater which I really like. Our very own SunburyBoy makes a very popular Bay Rum splash that is excellent.

Anyway, I don't think you are missing anything out. There are pre-shave products around but I don't think you can beat a shower before a shave, which you are doing already. The alternative is to get a hot wet flannel and hold it over your face for a minute or two. Oh, and I'm sure most fellows have areas where the grain goes a bit swirly. As long as you keep a light touch with short strokes your EJ razor should cope perfectly well. :shave

Back
Top Bottom