SOTD Sat. 4th May to Fri. 10th May 2013 ...

Monday

Muhle R41 2011'
Gillette 7 O'Clock Red/Black Wrapper Platinum
KMF Pomegranate Grapefruit Shave Cream
Omega Hi Performance Synthetic
Dove Post Shave Balm
Booster Oriental Spice After Shave

Afternoon, everyone.

Monday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle, shimmed
Blade: Rapira SS (3)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
A/S: Pinaud Clubman
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman

No nicks but even more redness on the face; it's just like the old days! Either the Rapira's gone off early or I'm reacting to the new moisturiser, Natural Grooming Co.
I'll stick to the Rapira for tomorrow's shave and try a different moisturiser to see what effect that has. By now my face looks fine and well-shaven though it still feels a little tender.

Monday 6th May

sotd6513.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
DR Harris Arlington cream scuttle lathered
Kent BK8 brush
Gillette New LC head with custom chrome handle
Lord Platinum (1)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
DR Harris Arlington aftershave

I paired the New LC head with a heavy chrome handle. This transformed the razor. I first used this head with the thin hollow handle it came with. This is very light to my thinking. The Lord blade smooth and easy to use no irritation lovely :icon_smile:

Brian

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
NF 1901 brush, LEA stick
Gillette Slim (Setting 4/5), Personna Red (2)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

I've not been beaten by a soap yet, so I give the LEA stick another go. Coaxed a very fine lather out of it.... I've got better soaps, but the stuff cost less than a £1... crazy.
Haven't used a vintage razor for a while. Reasonable performance, but too much touching up... I think it would have been better if I'd started off on setting 5... try that tomorrow.

Away from home so:
Shower
Face lather with Palmolive stick and a surprisingly effective I branded shave brush from a vintage Gillette set.
EJ ED89L with Polsilver SI loaded (3)
Alum
Nivea ASB
I like face lathering. This weekend is the first time I've tried it.

Prep: Glycerine Soap, Cold Water, Proraso Pre Green Tea & Oat
Soap: MdC
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Super Iridium (2)
EdT: Pen's Opus 1870

Close and comfortable 3-pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) cold water shave.

Today's Shave

Gillette Red Tip
Feather Blade
NSS Arabian Nights
Kent BK4 Brush

Old Spice WhiteWater splash

4 Days Beard removed except for the beginnings of a Foo Man Chu

Refreshing shave BSS WTG is the result :icon_cheesygrin:

Proraso green soap, old formula (soap of the week)
Henk walnut silvertip
Open comb New with Rapira Swedish Super Steel (2)
Davidoff Cool Water a/s

Lovely.

merkur hd
supermax super platinum
semogue 620
proraso green tub
alcolada glacial/ 444 :icon_eek: ooh matron!
montana parfum d'homme edt

a close, comfortable and highly mentholated shave. i know it gets rave reviews, but im still not convinced by the 620, dont know if its something to do with me being in a hard water area.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep/Pensoftheforst in Kenya soapstone handle
Razors. Feather + GEM (for head)
Superlather: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso cream
AS: Proraso
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

Lovely chill thrill of a shave, Proraso sure's a nuice product when you feel a little hot or warm!! - Dick: Martin could be right, he once was back in the 1970s ... or you could go down the safe and tried straight razor route (without razors that run out of juice (vintage cartridge blades - remember why you got out of that game, those pesky cartridge blades *shiver*).

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Proraso green tube (soap of the week)
Brush: Traditional Shaving Co. Pure Badger
Razor: Gillette Slim Adj @5,4,3
Blade: Rapira stainless (2)
After: Alum, Superdrug Forest Fresh AS, Proraso ASL

Proraso Week Day 1

I have not tried face-lathering with a cream before, so I thought this'd be a good opportunity. Applied shave cream to my face in patches then worked up a lather with a medium wet brush. First pass was ok, but started to run out of lather from the brush by the second pass and by the third was having to apply more cream to my face.

I don't really get the pleasure of face-lathering. The brush feels cold after the first pass, it's difficult to get consistent lather for each pass and it feels like I'm scrubbing my face off (even though it didn't actually make my face sore). I think I'll go back to the bowl for the rest of the week, maybe try face-lathering some other time.

I guess I've lost my touch with the Slim, as I haven't used it for so long. So overall a below par shave, good enough but not satisfying.

Also using Proraso for pre-shave, cream and after-shave lotion makes me think I don't want that much menthol in my life.
Oh well, there's always tomorrow to improve.

Hope you lot are enjoying the sunshine.

FrankieG said:
Scswalex said:
Sunday evening

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
MWF soap
New Forest 1901 brush
Merkur future (2.5,2.5,3)
Vokshod blade
Nivea balm
Proraso after shave

Interesting such a good shave last night but using the same kit except MWF soap the shave was certainy not as good - either the blade hasn't lasted or the soap/lather didn't work as well - tonight I will go back to yesterday's kit and the same blae and see if I can get back to the same finish as last night.
Scswalex said:
Can any e comment on the longevity of the Vokshod blade?

I get 4 excellent shaves out of one. They are great blades, sharp and forgiving.

Thanks - looks like it could be the soap - I seem to recall Chrisbell getting rid of his Mwf recently, maybe it just doesn't agree with the Norfolk hard water

Razor: Towa
Brush: Own made aluminum Finest Badger
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood

Today i decided to testdrive a brush i made for a friend. and also my new towa from Mikael :) (Cheers i love it.)

DSC00115_zpse231c5a9.jpg

DSC00103_zps531d851c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom