SOTD: Saturday 12 - Friday 18 October 2024.

20241013_111243.jpg

My OCtober Shave today consisted of...
Prep Hot shower.
Brush Phoenix Accoutrements Cyclotrade X.
Soap Palmolive shaving stick.
Razors Alpha Shaving Texas flag & PAA Fantasma Double Slant.
Blade Nacet (3) Derby Premium (1)
Aftershave Proraso Green.

I went for a matching colour scheme with today's OCtober shave.
I really enjoyed my shave today and have become an expert in the Palmolive shaving stick lathering, I now get superb creamy lather every time with minimal effort.
my Glow in the dark shaving gear never fails to make me smile when using them and makes for a great day ahead.
Enjoy the night everyone.

Halloween Zombie GIF by Scooby-Doo

OCtober

Sunday 13th October

AP1GczN8oG1C7Ml-u2nkixzBd13pKwvyLd_kDzEx0fulViJCgFLUeLyFkU4TAda0sYoP0nDqI6ttKqfgY_fzA6FFqhZNxPUm4UHyw9QATigcLyV_daHW0S-3VX8XjvNsvXNbeRCm7iBy8z1zn2ml_Yn6l01fZg=w800

Ach Brito Musgo (2024) Shaving Soap & Omega 10108 Hybrid Pure Bristle w/10049 Knot
Gillette 'New' Type Long Comb (GB) & Treet Classic (3)
Pitralon Classic Aftershave

Bah! Still a very contract cleaner scent I'm getting off this soap but that's not so bad as that horrid acrid sickliness that pervaded as an undertone in yesterday's shave was not present today, nor did it revive with a splash of Pitralon. The juice is worth the squeeze as this latest stearate-first formulation really is a lovely performer and with a touch more water in the loading and lather produced a real creaminess.

Lovely! But, I'm going to put it away for a couple of weeks and see how I feel about it then.

Have a great week to come, guys!

Razor = Occam’s Oren ***
Blade = Feather Pro Guard ( 5 )
Brush = Unknown Vintage With 20mm Boti Pink
Soap = Malt n Myrtle From The Gentlemen’s Groom Room.
Splash = Myrsol Don Miguel
Bam = Bart’s Balm Ben Nevis.

IMG_3134.jpeg
British Shaving Soap Shave 5

Bit of a random this shave with nothing really matching but a great shave nonetheless.
Nothing ever has to match it’s just me really.
The 5th Shave with the Oren and i’m getting quite bored with it but i’ll keep going until the blade is done which won’t be long.
The Brush was a first for me & another new one.
I have zero information on this handle so if any you guys know any info please feel free to tell me.
The Brush came from @gile at Highlander Brushes who re knotted it with a 20mm Synthetic and a brilliant little knot and a great shave to end a boring week.

13 October

Signature Soaps Capra Deva
Simpson Chubby 2
ESC Claymore Evolution
Feather Professional
Lucky Tiger face tonic

View attachment 126637
I don’t know how many shaves this Feather blade has completed, but it must be at least a dozen and it is still smooth and sharp and ready for more. The whole shave was totally top drawer. The Signature soaps are all fantastic and this one is exceptional. Two passes and a smooth face, no complaints here.
That’s kind of you to say that. Best Regards Brian

Had intended to use a vintage Gillette Platinum Plus blade tonight but the plastic bottom of the dispenser started to come away from the dispenser as I was wrestling to get a blade out. When I took the plastic bottom off the blades are very firmly stuck together. They are now soaking in baby oil overnight to hopefully free them a little. If this doesn't work I'll try WD40. It's a complete pack and they're great blades that are not easy to come by so I don't want to throw them away.
The Chick blade was a worthy substitute.

To my nose the Musgo cream has a mild and delicate herbal smell, perhaps a little bitter floral. I'm not great at describing or even identifying scents!

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: PAL Injectomatic black and gold (1960s)
Blade: Schick "Chick" Chinese made Schick injector blade
Brush: Henkverhaar (TSR) badger brush Walnut Silvertip
Lather: Ach Brito Musgo
Aftershave: Williams Aqua Velva Fresh Control

PXL_20241014_054954602~3.jpg
I love this razor. it's so smooth and comfortable and forgiving. it would probably work well with most blades. the shark blade did fine in it. no irritation and quite close and smooth.

found these little collapsible pet bowls reduced to £1 in morrisons so had to pick one up. I already have one for travel and like it. it'll be good to have one to build lather and another to rinse the razor and they fold flat so takes no more room.

View attachment 126636

tried a fresh blade in this R41 clone and it was still rough, like it was yesterday. I can rule out that particular blade being done and know this razor doesn't work with shark platinums for me. I switched to a different head after the first pass and it wasn't as tuggy and raw. this yaqi mellon is too mild for me so the end result isn't close enough but less irritation or aftershave sting. I'll try a shaper blade next and see how both do. the R41 head will soon be on its last chance.
Hello there,
I have the Muhle R41 (2013) version which by all accounts is a milder than original (2011) version. I've never tried the clone version, however I have the Yaqi Mellon and fitted with an efficient blade provides me a more than acceptable shave. As always, YMMV

Many wet shavers had a bad experience with the older version and will be sceptical of the new one despite the design improvements.
The top cap was expanded from 18mm to 20mm. The body modifications allow the blade to be held tightly in place. This means the blade has no headroom to flex while you scrape it across your skin. However, some blades flex more than other due the thinness of them which causes tugging irritation etc.

Out of all my DE razors the R41 took me a long time to bond with. My first few shaves where horrible, It is a razor that involves a long learning curve, and you need to get the technique and pressure just right to make it work for you. You also need a certain type of skin for the blade to work best. If your technique is off or your skin too sensitive, I’d suggest you stay away from it.

Now that I have gained much required shaving confidence and my technique has vastly improved I can now pair my R41 with either aggressive & non-aggressive blades and get a close comfortable shave without being afraid to shave and without the fear of my shave ending in a blood shaving massacre. Good technique, shaving confidence and using the lightest of touch are the key with the R41, in fact it's the key to using any razor.

One of the most important lesson's I have taught myself is I now never aim for perfection with my shaves, as '"Perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate". My over-zealous passion for perfection was the major unnecessary cause of irritation nicks, & cuts with my shaving.

Remember, nobody is standing on the other side of the mirror making biased judgements when your shaving, the face you're shaving is your own, and you don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself.

Enjoy your shaves.

Yours- Barry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom