SOTD: Saturday 13 April - Friday 19 April 2024.

18/4/24

Soap - HWF
Brush - Yaqi G4
Razor - Old Type
Razor - Gillette Nacet Stainless (1)
AS - Denim Original

IMG20240418175310.jpg

I read on another forum the newer Gillette PPI blades (post 2020) are not as sharp as ones from previous batches so I got a brand new Nacet from Big Deal Smart, from a 2022 batch with one of my mildest razors, which is not a Gillette branded Old Type but a very old one which I presume was made around the same time as the Gillette ones that look the same. How sharp is a 2022 Nacet? I'd say it's just as sharp as the ones from batches from pre 2016 and some from 2019, but I will give it a few more shaves before drawing a conclusion. The 2022 Nacet was fantastic in this razor, smooth and comfortable, no resistance on any of the passes and it took off a lot of growth even in one of my mildest razors.

I'm really like the Hampshire Wool Fat shaving soap, it's a nice old school tallow lather, produces a slick and glossy lather, leaves my face feeling great at the end of the shave too.

I hold this blade as one of the best modern blades, but it's not as fine a performer as a Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade. I wish I had a few more of those glorious blades! Ah well, I'm happy to have some other great non unobtanium blades nonetheless!

Thursday 18th April

AP1GczPobMN1mDpsZXw1Ym95LVjk6K4S7z6y7enASbVehzvpDi2xsDUG_quuHuzvp8ZOGnK31v_PhfcdQNRaZWFFqn_w2Co8gwFucXm75Ij0DXdByfQVOUsX2pLX5XAyXlwSP9NvsMDqD-lUAms_tcFupHbMmA=w800

Crabtree & Evelyn Soap for Men (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Shave Factory Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca Stainless & Zaza Super Stainless (2)
Imperial Leather Classic (Vintage) Aftershave

I tried a couple of new blades (to me, anyway) a week or so ago and really enjoyed the shave with the Zaza Super Stainless, more so than its Platinum counterpart; Elios Inox, again one I enjoyed more than the arguable better Bolzano ... so, I'm going to have a couple more shaves on each. Tonight and tomorrow with the Rocca and then with the Gillette Hybrid Tech and Ranger Tech over the weekend.

While I probably won't stock up on either, they are both very nice indeed! The Zaza much akin to the standard SuperMax Super Stainless (their Platinum is much like the Derby Premium) and the Elios almost identical to the Lord Classic (while the Bolzano is not really like any of the Lords).

Still lovin' the early days with this new piggy. My experience of Omega is that they're usually good from the off, while Semogue can take some use. Neither need any special treatment, just use 'em as intended but Omega does seem to deliver its lifelong performance much quicker than Semogue. It's the first few days with the full scent and the not yet split ends. I think this brush is going to be quite a favourite - maybe in time, I'll look to resettle the knot into something a little more fitting.

Last edited:
1000005663-01.jpeg

My Artisinal April Shave today consisted of...
Prep Aleppo soap.
Brush Highlander LE2023 Badger.
Soap Signature soaps Eboracum.
Razor Stando Rod.
Blade Feather Pro (6).
Aftershave Jimmy Choo.

The Highlander Badger Brush and my Boar just get better with every use and as you can pretty much tell from my posts of late they are all I seem to reach for.
Big shout out too Signature soaps Eboracum, never fails to produce a fantastic lather even if you get heavy handed with the water, brilliant.
A nice 2 pass shave tonight not bbs but more than good enough for smoochies with ma neighbours wife ha ha, the blade is now in the bin as it was getting rough and I don't need to settle for less than excellent because I have millions of blades.

Enjoy the evening everyone.

I'll tell you what being crap is all about. I've just had to trawl through 7 pages of :love:, :love:, (y), :(, (y),(y), ':unsure: Que es esta?', :mad:, (y), (y), :geek:,:ROFLMAO:, :ROFLMAO:. What a bloody tedious task.

So here we are a number of days in to this week and I finally get my arse in to gear and say, as my first entry for this new (but now old) week of SOTD's I offer you a number of shaves with the common theme 'Shaving and my fluffy yellow balls'. Despite the fact not all these shaves will be displaying my yellow fluffy bits.

The biggest excuse for my late arrival is having taken a short vacation over in Malta and not being arsed. Other minor excuses include being useless and being really useless.

Saturday

20240413_184407.jpg

Fluff remover - 3ONE6
Fluff removing blade - Brazilian Wilkie
Fluffy yellow ball - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Fluffing cream - Signature Valentia
Soften my fluffy balls - Collagen
Fluffer puffer - Van Cleef Rose Rouge

A most wonderful bit of shave time curtesy of Maltese air and water. And so bloody brilliant I decided the next three shaves would be exactly the same. Then again there was no other choice as this is all I took. But I knew my yellow fluffy balls were in good hands.

Have some Japanese ladies in fluffy yellow

Sunday

20240413_184407.jpg

To save me having to write further annoying rubbish please see Saturday's shave and then have some more Japanese girlies. And make mine some more Beaver

Monday

20240413_184407.jpg

Further adventures of fluffy yellow balls and the art of shaving. Please see either Saturday or Sunday if you wish to take the longer route and end up on Saturday anyway.

And then enjoy some more of those Otoboke girls...

And that wraps up the tales of my testicles

Tuesday

20240416_183818.jpg

Further adventures of fluffy yellow balls and the art of shaving. Please see either Saturday, Sunday or Monday if you wish to take the longer route and end up on Saturday anyway.

Whoops wrong shave. Guess that's being habitual for you.

A razor - Stainless Mongoose
A blade - Kai Titan mild
A brush - Highlander TSR LE 2023
A soap - York Swirling Soapery Vibrant Charm
A balm - L'Occitane Cade

A mediocre shave which had to be finished with if all things, the 3ONE6 as the Kai was on its last legs and did more pulling than I can manage without being on a tug boat. A very acceptable finish by the time the Jagger had done its bit.

Japanese girls? Of course....some more Beaver? Not this time. You can have some Midori because I know how much you love her......

Wednesday

20240417_181520.jpg

And there's more? Indeed there is...

:sleep: - Stainless Mongoose
:sleep: - Schick Proline
:sleep: - Highlander LFC ( and a :sleep: for LFC)
:sleep: - Signature Londinium
:sleep: - Collagen
:sleep: - Guerlain Heritage

Schick Proline, the new and in vogue Kai Titan mild replacement. They just seem to be my yellow fluffy ball blade of the moment.

With this bunch what else what could I expect? A superlative finish.

And if you thought Midori was shite, then try these...

Thursday
20240418_160141.jpg

Occams Enoch
Schick Proline
Hive-2
Abbate Y Mantia Krokos
Simple moisturiser
Abbate Y Mantia Krokos

Liverpool were crap, this shave wasn't

SOTN (Head & Face)

Yates Winning Razor Ti - Gillette Nacet
Leaf Razor - Treet Platinum saloon blades
HC&C Bond - soap & splash
PAA Amber Aerolite
Thayer's Coconut
Nivea Pro Sensitive Ultra Calming Balm

Great shave, first outing for the razor which I've been itching to get my hands on and use for what feels like the longest time. Very smooth feeling it's deceptively efficient just like it's stainless older brother, but more nimble.

This set was also a great performer, HC&C is fast becoming a firm favourite for software and never disappoints.

1000011118.jpg

SOTD Thu 18 Apr

A tale of two brushes, shave
9675420C-5DC9-4F92-8A4B-C0057FCB43DA.jpeg
Prep - hot shower, lather face wash
Bowl - DSCosmetic green bowl
Cream - Proraso Red
Brush - Semogue 1305 and Omega Pro 49
Razor - Muhle R89 Twist
Blade - Gillette 7o’clock SharpEdge (2)
Post - lather remains face wash, cold rinse, alum block
Splash - Forest Fresh ASL
Balm - Nivea Sensitive Cool PSB
Fragrance - Mastermind Vintage EDT

I have only been shaving in the traditional manner for about a year. In this time I have tried various razors, soaps etc, but only used synthetic brushes. Then I acquired a Semogue 1305 boar brush. Took a little getting used to, different feel to it. But after a few uses I quite liked it, so thought I’d get another boar to rotate with it. Got an Omega Pro 49, nice brush, bit smelly but got rid of most of that with a few days ‘water boarding‘ it. Using it in a shave was not so successful, I think it’s actually too big for me. So, as a test, for this shave, I thought I’d use them both to make the lather then the Omega for the first pass and the Semogue for the second. Short version is, I much prefer the Semogue. For my face and for bowl lathering (which I prefer) I found it far superior. The Omega was just too big for comfort. I am building a box of shave stuff to PIF and I think it’s going in!

BC88001A-AD21-4FF8-865D-A0578F466D2A.jpeg
Fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom