SOTD: Saturday 18 November - Friday 24 November 2023.

SOTD: 24/11/2023

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather ProGuard - 15, 5th use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Phoenix Artisan The Cube 2.0 Scentless Soap
Soap: The Goodfellas Smile Pino Alpestre Cream
Aftershave: The Goodfellas Smile Pino Alpestre Aftershave
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Enjoy your day!

Friday 24th November
Pal Injectomatic Deluxe - Personna Stainless #2 - Yaqi Ever Helpful - Speick - Boots Freshwood AS - Aloe Vera Gel
1000016706-01.jpg

Friday 24 November

Nothing more to say about the wonderful Tatara Nodachi that hasn’t already been said. The Perma Sharp 3x was still very efficient with bbs in one main pass wtg plus pick ups and cheeks atg.
The Wee Scot brush was an impulse buy, Simpson definitely pushed a boundary with this one. A 13mm brush head but with perfectly matched soft bristles and reasonable lift. Not something I’d use every day, you could but it’s ideal for travel. No excess baggage with this bad boy.
The soap is also a recent buy after being sent a sample to try. I could not say I detected these individual notes but here for your delectation I give you,
Coal, Tar, Bourbon, Tobacco, Bitter Citrus, Smoke, Leather, Motor Oil, Burning Rubber, Diesel, Clove, Birch Tar and Bergamot.
Motor Oil and Burning Rubber and Diesel ………WTF :oops:
Nevertheless, it is soft creamy and does have a captivating and masculine scent, must be the burning rubber, the label on the lid is a bit creepy though.

It’s POETS day, Carpe Diem fellas!

IMG_0387.jpeg

Last edited:
24/11/23
Pre - Pears Transparent Original
Brush - Jayaruh #291 Synth Tuxedo Knot
Soap - OSP Old Gold
Razor - Blackland Dart
Blade - Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Macdui - Rosemary & Sandalwood
A/S - Old Spice Original
Wk 47 (7).jpg
The JR291 tuxedo has a lot of backbone and still manages a nice face lather.
No issues again with the Dart / Rapira pairing, i may even give them another 2 pass run out next week.
Enjoy your day all.

24 November

Speick Men cream
Mühle travel
Edwin Jagger DE89
Personna med prep
Speick Men Sensitiv

5E737CB9-1FE4-479B-BF87-FF8C1C62BA1C.jpeg
A tiny pea size blob of cream on a damp brush and face lathered. I had enough lather for at least four passes. The Personna blade is not as sharp as a Feather and a third pass was needed with the DE89, but what a great result.

Friday 24th November

ADCreHclGsTlBWp9ezVRdIKLR1vjyHXhfwGnTCTLREQxHC6nRQfO9CD4WDPmjGC_tWRb5ZxUrZ50BMpnWjcepA-eYPf_j47QFg4HYr-p0Xd5vU3S3tUNq_zMheOumaDFZcZUkEId_4xVeZf6EZ-5ZeUNYz2GgQ=w800

Wickham's 1912 Club Cola & Omega 10106 Pure Bristle
Muhle R89 w/Red Horseman Swing Handle & Gillette Nacet
Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne

Minor deviation from my week with Wickham's 1912 ... and a 1912 ... for which I switched the 1912 out for an R89!

Having a grot around in my bits box I happened upon a few things that perked my interest, but one particularly was my old Muhle R89 head which had well and truly gone by the wayside what with my dalliance with vintage and progression to posh stainless razors like the Rocca. The humble R89 that we all still seem to recommend to newcomers yet so rarely actually see in use in these SOTD pages.

Faffing around with handles, after really liking the balance and weight of the Rocca handle I settled upon this artisinal handle made by a chap who used to post here (or ATG, maybe) as Red Horseman and it's his ode to the Swing handle. I have two of these, one slightly shorter than this one which has the smaller threading for a grub screw to use with the older ASR style razors like the Damaskeene and 1914s, but this one at 8cm is very suitable for DE heads and the bulbous base lends a really fly balance to even quite heavy heads like the R89.

My blade had to be something sharp so as to have the weight of the razor do all the work while also steering the hand to relieve that weight so as the blade didn't bite. I'm a heavy-handed fellow and find very sharp blades help me consciously compensate.

... and what a great shave!

It certainly revived my interest in the R89 and got me looking on Muhle's website pondering a Twist model, but it was a flight of fancy and with this combination in my hand I realised that I already had what I think is a perfect combination of head and handle, of material and balance.

Cheers folks! Have a great weekend!

... back on the ASR tomorrow, I think. I was really enjoying a return to the GEM blade shave.

I can't quite decide if this is my last shave or not for this week. Depends on how I feel as working from early afternoon through to the early hours tomorrow. So to be somewhat cautionary about it I shall declare, for my final shave for this past week of SOTD's this shave shall be so themed, 'Indecisive'

If another unplanned shave appears I will just have to invent some more rubbish to throw your way.

View attachment 113787

Is it a razor? - Stainless Mongoose
A blade but not as we know it - Kai Titan mild
Brush or not a brush? - Highlander LFC
I think it's a soap - Proraso
Some stuff or other - Collegen
If I was the only girl in the world and you? - Hermes terre

'Shave? Down there?'

Well made up yesterday getting good blood results back and another year of having shaken off my past diabetic status. So happy I could shit. But I did think 'Turd of the day' was not very appropriate so I chose 'Shave of the day' instead.

A very happy shave with the Mongoose/Titan providing the sharp end of the story and the Highlander/Proraso the blunt end of it all. A story which resulted in one very refreshed and happy me. I wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would the shower room sink.

Wishing you all a happy weekend ahead and just say, 'I love you all'

I must have gone through the Puffyshoes catalogue several times over by now, but not to be deturd..........

And you may be relieved to know, yes, it was my final of the week.

Have a smashing weekend and just hope you don't wake up from a night like this...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom