SOTD: Saturday 18th January - Friday 24th January 2020.

21/01/2020
TABAC TUESDAY
Pre: Pears Transparent Original
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Culmak 1950's
Soap: Tabac
Razor: GEM MicroMatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna Injector (1)
Post shave: Alum Block, cold water splash, Homemade Bay Rum Witch Hazel
Balm: Homemade Bay Rum Argan Lotion / Vintage Tabac
A/S: Tabac Splash & Tabac EDC

4. Tues.JPG

After being enabled by @wchnu and @Electrif, i decided to try a Personna Injector Blade in the MMOC.
When i was happy with the positioning i carefully closed the cap and checked the seating of the blade, all looked Good.
I created a really nice lather with the Tabac, Culmak and 3D bowl from @Northam Saint, very slick and cushioning.
The razor felt great, it was deceptively mild during the shave and i completed 3 passes to achieve a BBS Finish.
Now, i say "deceptively mild" as i did get a bit indication from the Alum stone which subsided quickly and all is OK after a nice post shave routine.
It could have been down to using a new blade, although i did not get any feedback to say the shave was that efficient and i am happy with the finish.
Will i try it again - - Hell yeah, next time the Micromatic is up.
So, BBS, Smelling good, face feeling OK now and one very happy shaver.
Have a great Day All

Last edited:
624717FE-62A5-4978-80B9-BC24FED543E1.jpeg

SOTD 01/21/20

Welcome to TABAC Tuesday fellow face and dome scrapers. I'm still recovering from my bout with my problematic Rex Ambassador. Matt Pisarcik is on the case though, and I have every expectation that things will resolve positively. Things on the dome remain a bit tender, but thankfully, my Gibbs Adjustable delivered the goods in its usual comfortable, easy-going fashion. Joseph's (@Primotenore) Tabac lather recipe delivered a beautiful, thick, yogurty covering that elevated what could have been a cautious, tentative shave to a thorough-going shaving win. PAA's Preshave Cube combined beautifully with that first lather application to allow my feather-loaded Gibbs to just sweep away my whiskers while enjoying that delightful Tabac scent. It literally felt like there was no blade in the razor. The next pass left me with a comfortable DFS on the dome, despite a very tender surface, and an actual BBS on the face. Fortunately, SWMBO, with her fragrance allergy, is still away until tomorrow, allowing me to use Tabac, which she detests along with my Chatillon Lux AS. I finished feeling clean, smooooth, and refreshed! I hope everyone has a great day.

RAZOR: Gibbs #17 Adjustable
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA's Preshave Cube
BRUSH: Omega Pro48 Boar
SOAP: Tabac Original
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Chatillon Lux AS Splash.

Tuesday AM 2020-01-21

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Rooney Stubby 3XXL Ivory Finest (33/52)
XPEC Original shaving cream (first Forester Milan version)
Wolfman WR1-SB Titanium/WRH7
Personna P74 Tungsten (11)
Aramis Tuscany aftershave
yfFFksB.jpg

1gPWrnX.jpg

Back to the realm of the DE for today after a pretty enjoyable run with the Colonial General SS SE. Today's razor of choice the 1966 Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable. Fancy Slim yes but very good razor in my opinion. Loaded with a Wilkinson and dialled to 5 it is a smooth shaver for sure.

Henri et Victoria Terre d'Henri was at hand and a great choice for an office Tuesday. Subtle in scent and awesome in performance. Matching balm is quite nice also.

Two lovely passes to achieve DFS level and off we go. Quick spritz of Guerlain Habit Rouge to finish the morning routine. Happy Tuesday all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat 1966
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Stainless (Germany)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo - Sagrada Familia
Lather: Henri et Victoria Terre d'Henri
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Terre d'Henri
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Guerlain Habit Rouge

21/1/20

Soap - Palmolive Stick
Brush - Omega 10075
Razor - Fat Handle Tech
Blade - Tiger Platinum (4)
Post - Witch Hazel/Nivea Balm
AS - Benjamins Bay Rum

I'm still completely under the throws of the cold I have (the dreaded MAN FLU) and with the cold weather/central heating being on my face feels really dehydrated and putting on the Palmolive lather with a boar brush felt absolutely divine; a simple pleasure but what a great one. The shave itself was a pretty good one, but the blade felt a bit prickly at times.

Tuesday evening

Tabac Original
MÜHLE Birthday Set
Derby Extra (1)
Thayer's Lavender and Aloe Vera
Tabac Original after shave

I've read a fair bit from the good folk in here over the years about blades. Which brands are are good, bad and so on. When I first started on this approach/odyssey/vocation, I got a pack of Derby Extras, along with a purchase of a vintage razor (a Gillette Aluminium Tech, I seem to remember). I also got a pretty crappy shave; weepers, rash, the lot. So, I blamed the tools.

Tonight, with the hindsight of experience, I tried again with a blade from the same pack. This has led me to agree broadly that, providing the technique is bang on, you can get a decent shave. Now, I'm not saying that this will hold true for every blade (mileage and all that; plus quality varies); but I got as good a shave as I have had with more ‘respectable' blades. So, maybe there's adage in honing (as it were) practice and technique, before apportioning blame to the hardware.

F2BD413A-3033-4FB7-8B3C-DD6A0283FF3C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sotd-21-1-20.jpg

Sotd - this evening - the 21st of January.

Prep - facial scrub
razor - Rockwell (4)
blade - Super Max Titanium (6)
soap - Kent hard tallow - stealth MWF
brush - Semogue 2000 boar
post - witch hazel
a/s - Floid - mentally vigorous
balm - Floid.

All good - nothing to fault. Little else to say - enjoy your shaves - cheers - I.

Back
Top Bottom