SOTD: Saturday 20 April - Friday 26 April 2024.

A genuinely top notch shave today!
Third shave with this blade, now paired with my trusty Mk.I adjustable. This razor I had gold plated twelve years ago and has probably performed a couple of thousand shaves since then. Sadly the gold is wearing on the top cap now but it gives it character.

The pre-shave really helps with the sickness and glide of the razor, and the Spartacus is currently my favourite scent!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Personna Lab Blue/Med Prep
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Aqueous Cream
Lather: Arianna & Evans Spartacus
Aftershave: Arianna & Evans Spartacus
IMG_20240424_083022~2.jpg

Last edited:
A genuinely top notch shave today!
Third shave with this blade, now paired with my trusty Mk.I adjustable. This razor I had gold plated twelve years ago and has probably performed a couple of thousand shaves since then. Sadly the gold is wearing on the top cap now but it gives it character.

Totally agree that the wear on the razor gives it character… especially when it’s your own wear.
Looks good.

24 April

Wickham 1912 Apricus
Simpson Trafalgar T3
ATT SE1 Calypso
Feather Professional
Proraso Sensitive balm

IMG_0978.jpeg
A fabulous rich lather from the Wickham soap and a close but rather rough shave from the SE1. The end result was smooth enough but I decided to change the blade after the shave. On loading the new blade I noticed this:

IMG_0977.jpeg
I don’t know if this shows up very well, the light doesn’t help, but I tried this half a dozen times with the same result. When the blade is tightened down it is noticeably out of alignment with the guard. I think I will remove this razor from the rotation… permanently. Could this explain the rough shaves I often get with this razor?

24/04/24
Pre - Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar
Brush - Erasmic 26mm Shavers delight Tuxedo knot
Soap - Maca Root / Palmolive stick Superlather
Razor - Ever Ready 1912 USA
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Nevis - Amber & Moroccan Jasmine
A/S - Brut Original
Wk 17 (5).jpg
I find the USA 1912 feels "Milder/Smoother" than the Brit version. It still performs brilliantly though.
Enjoy your day all.

Last night's SOTN (Head & Face)

Face - Yates Winning Ti, Gillette Nacet
Head - Aylsworth Apex Alu, Astra SP
GN Kensei - soap & splash
Pump Chubby with Sparrow synthetic knot
Thayer's Coconut
Nivea Pro Sensitive Ultra Calming Balm

Really digging the scent on Kensei, it's similar to Musashi for sure but has this subtle smokiness to it that really sets it off - I'm definitely preferring it Musashi personally. Yates Winning Ti continues to impress, retains everything great about the stainless version but the reduction in weight just makes it more nimble.

1000011178.jpg

20240424_163752.jpg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Aleppo soap.
Brush Goodfellas Smile Wild hog.
Soap Once upon a time.
Razors Leaf & Muhle R89 twist.
Blade Nacet
Aftershave Once upon a time splash.

Today I wanted my Shave to be a little bit special.
The Once upon a time comes out in such times and by far my favourite tub design.
The R89 after seeing recent posts made an appearance as it's usually shoved at the back and was my 1st quality and expensive for me razor that I brought right at the very beginning when I was falling into the rabbit hole.

The wild hog brush had the perfect amount of backbone and I hope it keeps it as I break it in and for the money it's fantastic.
The R89 really is a great razor and well deserves it's reputation and I'm really not sure why I don't use it more often hmmm, I guess I have too many razors and just forgot just how good it is and side line it for more expensive razors that don't actually shave much better tbh, not all but some.
Anyway I digress and now smelling amazing just like freshly cooked biscuits.
Have a great evening everyone.

Wednesday 24th April

AP1GczM2-BtDMG4Vy15lUUQAlW318Ct-criuI-ESp7IGhMEYvK9FHZigdGrU30bKgb5aXHO9qm-xA6x174HngdT7-ePW1dfX6pxWwP8bnepYeRydX72UopypB8l8VrU5W5UOV9yZ4y6NLkjJo5FeyQaXnhyIrg=w800

Floris 89 (Vintage) Shaving Bowl & Omega 98 Professional Pure Bristle
Ever-Ready Streamline (1930s) & GEM by Personna (8)
Floid Black Aftershave

... and again.

Back
Top Bottom