SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024.

Although just under twenty four hours since the last shave this first go with the Racer SPC went really well. It's a very smooth blade yet still effective in a mild razor on a face which could have had longer between shaves.

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Mk. I Adjustable 195 'Fatboy' (1960)
Blade: Racer Super Class Platinum
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Amber Aerolite Stygian Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Generic Hand soap
Lather: Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Imperial Leather Aftershave lotion, 1950s or 1960s

Thursday 8th February

ABLVV84QkaxxlqvgHCa1hWsPPo0j_2BTYfEdZbekHFMKGt2zIrMaLabTO3kIIY07-rGspu4szwUoddm6PHDNmGPiujEivxhG07epDYqHfm8MkWnnHUhpZaCx9XrzpDixO3Tct6IsN2XXX-HPvFYQRrK499MJSQ=w800

Fat February ... and another welcome does of lanolin on this cold and snowy day!

(The Once Again Mighty) Mitchell's Woof Fat (Vegetal 2024) Shaving Soap & Omega 11137 Pure Bristle
Muhle Rocca w/Souplex Bakelite Handle & Treet Durasharp (1) < Yellow Pack
Pitralon Classic Aftershave

Not 'arf!

Absolutely lovin' the new new formulation of The Fat (the one and only) which I am quite confident in saying has regained its place as my number one. It's yogurty-thick, it's slipperly slick, it's everything we know and love about Mitchell's ... but without the need for lengthy explanations on how to lather it!

Fat without the fuss?

Oh, yes!

I'm running a yellow pack Treet Durasharp back to back with a new purchase blue pack and to be frank, there's really nowt in it. Honestly. Maybe the yellow pack is smoother from the off ... maybe. If anything, I'd say the blue pack is perhaps sharper ... and perhaps that translates as less smooth. Any disappointment I had with thinking I was buying a ton of yellows to be sent blues is gone. I'll be very happy with the blues that I have, I'm sure. Still, good to have a modest stock of yellows, but no great urgency to use them now.

... and I had quite forgotten just how much carbon steel suits me.

Face lathering does seem to mean that I can get a serviceable shave with ‘the fat’ but it would appear that the brush used also makes a difference. Last time a 24mm tuxedo was used and was ok, today I thought a 22mm synth might be even better, but no it was worse as it did not hold enough soap, so at the half way point I had to reload. Barely enough left at the end for face wash! But decent shave anyway, no issues and face left smooth and nice feeling and smelling!

Well, that's no bad thing.

Maybe an extended loading time is just what's required with your technique and equipment. I certainly like to build what could be called a dry proto-lather on the soap before hitting my face. My preference with British triple-milled is a piggy brush (I don't "do" badger, but have very feint memories when I first came to traditional shaving and did ... and it was sound with MWF, even as a newbie). Working a drier lather on the face and then painting the yogurty-thick stuff around, dipping a drop or two of water and repeating seems to work well for me. I also start with an almost dry brush - so, whether it's a synthetic or not, get it really wet, hold it knot down in your palm and squeeze. Oo-er. Wring it out and get loading on the soap.

... unless, of course, you have one of the dud batches which dissipates. Tell-tale sign is after lathering, it goes foamy on the outside of the brush (all the lather disappears) and it's like you didn't load enough. Dunno.

7ar0Njn.png

goKjWRb.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Semogue Owners Club LE 2012 Mixed Badger/Boar
Soap: Barrister and Mann Terror
Razor: Blutt BR-1 (1.20mm)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Barrister and Mann Terror Aftershave Lotion
Jealous

Attachments

• IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 4
Yorkshireman by birth.l!!
Missionary by residence
Yorkshire, by the grace of God

I take a trek quite frequently over the hills to Chadderton (that you mentioned @TomG) to a fencing club there. Aside from a ubiquitous Tesco, it's probably just as it was when your ancestors were there, still a place full of its industrial past - in fact, the fencing club occupies a floor of a big mill there which is perfect for a huge open-plan fencing centre where the multitude of supporting pillars don't get in the way of our fun, what with us playing on one metre wide strips.

View attachment 116809

Simpson Duke 2 Best
Merkur 41c
Polsilver Łódź (3)
Wilkinson Sword stick
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
Proraso Green a/s

Four days growth shorn smoothly and effortlessly.
I needed that.

Enjoy yours and Fat February chaps.

Good reminder! Wilkinson Stick (albeit now grated) on the slate for the weekend.

... and a good reminder that I have a Merkur open comb as well and really should use it more. Very nice!

Italian-American shave.
The Goodfellas Smile BAYONETTA Brass razor, made in Bergamo
Omega ROMA Brush, made in Bologna
Floid aftershave made in Fiesole
Stirling Bergamot Lavender made in Arkansas
Gillette 7 o' clock super stainless made I have no idea where

Just received yesterday the new razor from Gooodfellas Smile, designed and made in the industrious Bergamo.
Yellow satin brass, 100g d weight, 0.65 mm gap, 0.15 mm positive exposure.

It's my first brass razor. It does not slide as SS, probably for the satin finish, but still very good.
Very well made, beautiful in my opinion, not expensive (39 Euro). As it's the first use I do not comment on the performance as I need to know it a bit better. Not for newbies for sure.

20240209_095519.jpg

Back
Top Bottom