SOTD: Saturday 6 July - Friday 12 July 2024.

Saturday 6th July

Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge (Old Stock) Shaving Soap & Vulfix Coronet w/Pure Bristle
Gillette Sensor Excel & Gillette Sensor Excel (NOS) (1)
Brut Original Aftershave

Oh, my ...

The Gillette Sensor was the first premium razor that I bought after a handful of years shaving with various disposables and any old bar soap I happened to find on whichever sink I happened to find myself at ... Wilkinson Sword Retractor was my favourite, although memory has merged that with the BIC but once I'd conceded that my memory was at fault and the Wilkie was indeed red (not orange) it all came back into focus.

Anyway, the Sensor ...

Yes, bad habits, poor technique and I got to the point that I'd had enough and thought, "there must be something better than this" ... so, to the internet and to this very forum which changed my ways. All of them. Equipment, yes, but more importantly technique.

... and so today I revisited the Gillette Sensor format with this Excel handle and a magazine of period cartridges that I snagged off eBay a few weeks ago. Today, I know my beard map. Today, I have good technique. Today, I lather with a boar bristle brush and a premium soap (thanks again @McShaver). Today, the Sensor delivered a stunning shave!

Intrepidation at first, those very first clicks of the pivot ... and that one or two strokes under my sideburn to the get the flow started. Then straight into it and resisting that temptation with whip around quickly in every which direction without lather discipline that would lead to a bad shave. Long, purposeful overlapping strokes following the same map I would with a traditional safety razor, stubble reduction, re-lather and pick up the stragglers.

Beautiful! I did three passes coz I was really enjoying myself. End result and face feel is much akin to the Gillette Twinjector (the originial Trac-II but with injector blades). I've long maintained that the static head Trac-II was superior to the various pivoting razors that followed and would still say that of the Contour, but having re-tried the Sensor with good technique ... I would say it pips the Trac-II. I'd say it pips the Mach3 as well. Curious now to try the disposable Sensor3 that seem to be retired by Gillette but abundant on Amazon and eBay.

Really, really enjoyed that!

Glad, too, that I didn't dither over that Sensor (Original) Silver Edition that popped up on eBay. Few an far between nowadays. It'll be with me in a couple of days. I bagged it as an ornament, actually, for prosperity - silver plated special, never used and with original can of foam in the display tube. I may well use it if the handle feel is substantially different.

Glad to hear that it's really working out for you fella, and happy to oblige .

Great Shaw by the way.

SOTD: 7th July 2024.

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Cien Moisture Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush: Anbbas 24mm Tuxedo synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Erasmic Shave Cream.
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless. (D2)
Razor: 1970's Gillette Aluminium Handle Tech S4. (ENG)

Cold Water Face Rinse./Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, /Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse./Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.5 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With Care+Witch Hazel./ Cien Men Aqua ASL./Bulldog Original Moisturiser.

Greetings,

The Erasmic shave is another inexpensive shaving cream that doesn't have much of a scent, but makes up for it's performance and post shave feel.

A comfortable close 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Bulldog Original Moisturiser.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine.

Keep safe and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen.

Sun 7
Cream & Aftershave Maca Root & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Aqua Tuxedo
Razor Slater Brothers, Sheffield "Venture"
This is an ever-reliable cream & splash. Great lather qualities plus smells wonderful.
1st use of this newly received antique razor from Mike of DukeCity...only to realize it's his prized own named piece!
The razor's edge feels great...silky smooth and keen. I love Mike's jnat edges. This is the 7th SR from DukeCity and the 8th will be used on Tuesday...

Well Done Paul,
I shaved with a Schick Super 11 today, and like you found that improved technique - results in a decent Shave.

Well Done Paul,
I shaved with a Schick Super 11 today, and like you found that improved technique - results in a decent Shave.
I also have a trio of WIlkinson Sword Profile razor - two fixed heads (an all metal and a gold Royale) but also a pivot head which I should now try. I had some what I'd call vintage Schick Super II Plus which I wasn't that taken with but the more modern ones (also retailed as the Duplo II Plus) suit me better having used them in a GII. Maybe the more vintage were not stored well. Dunno.

SOTD

06-July

Brush: Wald J4
Soap: Zingari Man The Master
Razor: Atelier Durdan - No 7 (0.7)
Blade: Wizamet

07-July

Brush: Wald J4
Soap: CGC Armonia
Razor: Atelier Durdan - No 7 (1.1)
Blade: Wizamet

Well the conclusion over the past two days seems to be either the 0.7 or the 1.1 would do the trick, there seems to be minimal difference in feel.

Wanted to try the Vestige handle on the No. 7 head this morning, didn't really impact the balance point but it did feel more nimble. Not that it is a slouch anyway.

I'm still not totally convinced I'll be rushing out to get one. Don't get me wrong, it's excellent, but it didn't blow my socks off like the Vestige where that seemed to offer something a little different.

Have a grand Sunday all!

Cheers

Marc

Sun 7th July

Aleppo soap - Shave pre wash
The Grosvenor - 404 mixed
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus
Schick Super 11
Schick Super 11 Ultrex [ 6 ]
Pitralon Classic A/S Lotion

Needed a bit of a quick tidy up as Family visiting later. This Vintage Cart is proving to be quite an asset when such a Shave is required, as without any fuss I got a more than satisfactory close all round finish.

07/07/24
Str8 Shave Sunday
Pre - Dove Original Cream Bar
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 LE Faux Tortoise Synth
Soap - OSP Old Gold
Razor - 5/8 Thiers Issard "Evide Sonnant" - Parker SoloEdge
Blade - Tony'schin
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Ben Lomond & Original Cinnamon & Patchouli lotion
A/S - OSP Spice Road

A Sunday straight shave with an addition today.
Yesterday the postie brought a very generous PIF'd razor from Keith @AlterEgo, i had been considering the SoloEdge for a while and looked at the SoloEdge thread to try to get some info, lo and behold there was a very generous offer of the Razor.

i completed a nice face lather with the OSP/Simpson combo, i completed my first pass with the Thiers WTG. I re-lathered and completed a ATG pass with the SoloEdge, from the off i found it quite mild, a little bit of angle change found my sweet spot, although still relatively mild which i don't mind at all, so far, i do prefer it over my Yaqi Katana.
I finished off the shave using the Str8 with some XTG touch up on the cheeks and neck for a very nice comfortable finish.
A nice post shave routine ending with a splash of the fantastic OSP Spice road.
I have a couple of "iffy" shaves planned for this week, therefore the Parker SHaDE will be my back-up.
Thanks again Keith what a wonderful, generous place this is.
Enjoy your day all.

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Freshwood pre-shave oil.
Brush Razorock Beehive synthetic.
Soap Zingari man Mousse Iluminee.
Razors Leaf & Blackland vector standard plate.
Blades Lord and Kai Captain Titan mild Pink (6)
Aftershave recovery Zingari man Mousse Iluminee splash.
Aftershave Mousse Iluminee Rogue edt.

Great shave today although the Kai blade is feeling a little rough, I will give it another 2 or 3 shaves perhaps before changing it out.
I will never get enough of the scent from this set up, I just love it.
Have a relaxing Sunday all.