SOTD: Saturday 6 July - Friday 12 July 2024.

12/7/24

Soap - Lea Stick
Brush - Zenith 2006
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade - Shark Platinum (1)
AS - Brut Oceans

Well then that was a let down. In 2016 bought a brand new Zenith with an unbleached boar knot and for many years it was my favourite brush. It took ages to break in, but even after 50-60 shaves with it, it was still stiff, had good backbone and kept it's shape during the shave.

Why was today's shave a let down? It was my first time using this new Zenith with a brand new unbleached boar knot, and I was expecting it would be a little on the tough side to break in, but even after one shave alone it was a soft floppy mop that shed about 7 bristles during the shave. It seems the company has changed suppliers and their new bristles are absolutely nothing like the ones they used before. It was an unbleached boar brush for those who don't like them! I want my boar to have a stiff hard knot that takes a while to break in, as those kind of knots will still keep their shapes after 60+ shaves or so.

I bought 3 of these Zeniths with these knots at the same time, I hope the other two aren't stinkers like this one.

Nice shave with the Shark Platinum in the Slim Adjustable. I think this razor is the best designed razor I have used, it seems to suit all blades.

1000017011.jpg

Friday 12th July

AP1GczMcL05CXgVsAaRXn3f2x5KEqC7xeNicF-UY4v2tIOCmp7Q0zL138csiYtqd9ViXaGaQJEcLfd5JuklcCQgTQN6pVgZOfVLhYSF16t5opbR_oyb2dZfHf2l7ffqLgKRN2lWyM3tqliT5ntMy89anRwnvcw=w800

Boots Old English Lavender Shaving Bowl & Mohawk w/Purtech Synthetic 22mm
Razorock Hawk V3 (A Plate) w/Yaqi Tsuka Handle & Feather Professional Super (5)
Brut Splash-On Lotion (as Aftershave)

Same again ...

20240712_203403.jpg

My Shave today consisted of...
Prep Freshwood pre-shave oil.
Brush Shave Factory Omega Boar.
Soap Once upon a time.
Razor Reggies razors Mars.
Blade Mogicole (2).
After care Johnny Bravo love potion.
Aftershave Jimmy Choo Man edt.

I love the Mars razor from @Reggie’s Razors it never fails to deliver a nice shave and is fantastic for the price, it's a shame they no longer sell it.
The blade struggled tonight but we got there in the end with a bbs shave, tomorrow I will pop it into a Slant to torque it up and get the last shave from it before going into the blade bank.
Have a great evening everyone.

SOTD Fri 12 Jul 2024

A decent Friday shave

B68F704A-BCEA-4FF6-B2B8-CF3DDEC23DD3.jpeg

Proraso White shaving cream
Yaqi 20mm synthetic brush
Muhle R89 Twist razor
Racer Platinum Class blade
Alum block
Homemade splash (witch hazel and essential oils)
Forest Fresh ASL
Nivea Replenishing PSB

Not a bad shave, but not that comfortable either. It’s been a while since I’ve used my Muhle Twist and either, wIth the weight, I was using too much pressure or the blade should have been swapped out last time, as it was a bit rough overall and I had some sting from the alum. But the lotions and potions sorted it out and I was left with a canny feeling and smelling mush! The blade has gone now and I fancy trying something new next time so I’ll have to have a rummage in my blade box for something different.

SOTD Fri 12 Jul 2024

A decent Friday shave

View attachment 122635

Proraso White shaving cream
Yaqi 20mm synthetic brush
Muhle R89 Twist razor
Racer Platinum Class blade
Alum block
Homemade splash (witch hazel and essential oils)
Forest Fresh ASL
Nivea Replenishing PSB

Not a bad shave, but not that comfortable either. It’s been a while since I’ve used my Muhle Twist and either, wIth the weight, I was using too much pressure or the blade should have been swapped out last time, as it was a bit rough overall and I had some sting from the alum. But the lotions and potions sorted it out and I was left with a canny feeling and smelling mush! The blade has gone now and I fancy trying something new next time so I’ll have to have a rummage in my blade box for something different.
Love the Ukulele, I own a couple of models myself. It's a shame that my playing is not up to the standard of the instrument in hand but I love banging out a tune with it and eases stress immensely for me.

Love the Ukulele, I own a couple of models myself. It's a shame that my playing is not up to the standard of the instrument in hand but I love banging out a tune with it and eases stress immensely for me.
Glad you liked it.
When I first retired, some friends and I took lessons and formed a uke group, we played, or maybe intimidated, a few local care homes for a while and then came COVID.
After that, we had lost a few members, we were all older and my dexterity was poor. Some of the others are still tormenting various care homes but I had sort of lost interest.
Now, with no dog duties to attend to, I unpacked, cleaned and restrung the couple of guitars and ukuleles that had survived the downsizing we did a couple of years ago, when we moved into a small bungalow. I was never a good player and now I'm rubbish, but messing about with them does help to de-stress and lift my mood a little.
My surviving instruments will no doubt all feature in my future SOTD's in a vain attempt to make my photos of more or less the same shaving gear as everyone else, slightly more interesting!;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom