SOTD: Saturday 6 July - Friday 12 July 2024.

Sunday 7th July
Staying adjustable, Merkur plus Gillette 7 o’clock super platinum. Quite a hard soap with a distinctive and lasting woody scent which needs effort to get a good lather. Unlike Apsley it does not dissipate quickly from the skin. Blade on 5th use but bbs achieved without drama with one main wtg pass and then pick ups atg.

Have a fine day fellas!

SOTD Sun 7 Jul 2024

Boo!!

Palmolive Classic Cream
Ingram Cool Cream
DSCosmetic T4 brush
Yaqi Cola brush
PAL safety razor (old)
Racer Platinum Class blade
Gillette blue2 disposable razor
Homemade splash (witch hazel and essential oils)
Nivea Replenishing PSB

Well, hello again. After surviving the trauma of losing my wonderful dog Bella, and the never ending preparations, celebrations and aftermath of my daughter’s wedding, my wife and I both succumbed to the dreaded COVID! I have been a couple lf days behind her as the illness progressed, but it has been a dismal couple of weeks for us both.
But I can’t state strongly enough the recuperative effects of a nice shave! For half an hour or so each day I felt almost human. Each shave recently has used some of the above ingredients.
As this all happened during tech-junkies time I was still using vintage-ish razors but the problem I always have with Techs is that as they only have a centre post, if my tremors are bad I can’t hold the blade still long enough to get the baseplate and handle in place. Then on the bay I came across the PAL razor! Looks very similar to a tech and actually shaves very similarly.
Apparently they were the American Safety Razor Co’s answer to the Tech and were made between 1946 and the early sixties, being sold in the USA and Europe as Star, PAL, Personna and maybe Ever Ready.
All the pics I have found show them with a rather nice handle, a bit like a mini Rex one, but mine has what looks to be a Gillette style aluminium ball-end handle although it is a bit longer and thicker than the one on my Tech. Maybe a replacement or maybe they copied Gillette at some point. One of the threads I found about these razors was by the very knowledgeable @pjgh of this very forum, so perhaps he might have some idea. In any case I like it a lot and as it has three posts to hold the blade is much easier for me to use, not quite as good as my Merkur/Muhle two piece razors, but close.
So between the PAL and a Blue2 (which I normally just use for the occasional touch up or edge) I have had a couple of weeks of nice-ish shaves, an island of normality in a sea of illness!

Please note -
This is not a catch-up post as I believe these are copyrighted by someone of a satanic disposition!

Last edited:
Razor - Rockwell SS R3
Blade - Gillette Sharpedge
Brush - ES Medium Synthetic
Lather - TOBS Sandalwood Cream

Dream combo of razor and blade today, resulted in two-pass shave with no touch-ups. It was so easy, in fact, that I had to be careful not to get all gung-ho… so I reined it in and “settled” for a DFS. The adrenhaline was beginning to kick in, so I thought… whoa! Shave-boy, quit while you’re ahead…

Sorry to hear about the Covid @Rip my flesh… bloody Covid…

SOTD: 07/07/2024

Razor: Leaf The Twig Thorn
Blade: Gillette Platinum, 2nd use
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Kikier Ceramic Bowl
Preshave: Martin De Candre Huile Végétale - Camomille et Citron Oil
Soap: Tabac Original Puck
Aftershave: Tabac Original Aftershave
Additional Care: Osma Alum
Additional Care: Cold Water

Enjoy this Sunday!

Welcome back and hope you and Mrs RmF continue in good health.

Monday 7th July

Speick Shaving Stick (2021 Grated) & Vulfix Coronet w/Pure Bristle
Gillette Sensor Excel & Gillette Sensor Excel (NOS) (2)
Speick Aftershave

First go with the 2021 formulation Speick shaving stick (much thanks to @Mr. Blonde who popped it in as a little extra to something or other that I bought from him) ... and I like it! No great surprise as it's practically the same formulation as the first vegetal Tabac, which I enjoy a great deal and would absolutely go so far as to say that I prefer that Tabac to the older tallow formulation. So, it follows that I'm very impressed with the Speick vegetal formulation but have yet to pit my older tallow formulation directly against it. I am pretty sure it'll follow suit with Tabac, though. Both have reformulated again early 2024 but I've yet to try either of those.

Fun again with the Gillette Sensor Excel.

Have a great week to come, fellows!

SOTD 7.7.24

Razor Rex Supply Konsul
Blade Wizamet SI
Brush Semogue Owners Club Synthetic
Soap Razor Emporium Element 47
Bowl Kraftiro Dark Grey Resin
Had a great Sunday shave the Semogue feels more like a synthetic boar than badger but works well. And the bowl ridges work well to make a creamy lather

Simpson Duke 2 SiLVERTiP
Rockwell 6C (3)
Silver Star (2)
D.R. Harris Arlington
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
Arlington a/s

Having used this current formula Harris Arlington a few times I’ve noticed a few differences from the last time I had a cake I had. These are mainly positive.
First noticeable difference, it that the soap is distinctly softer, still triple milled (I believe) but not as hard, nowhere near it. This in turn makes it easier to load, not that it was particularly difficult previously, but certainly noticeable. I think the lather is improved, marginally slicker and more of the unctuous tallow greasiness.
Which leads to to the only slight negative in that I can detect a bit of the tallow funk in the scent, which slightly alters the profile. I can no longer detect the lemon top note or the underlying faint scent rose of before. A pity, but I’ll accept that on the payoff that in my opinion it’s an improvement on a previously excellent soap base.

Enjoy yours gents.

You’re welcome Paul, glad you enjoyed.