SOTD: Saturday 9 September - Friday 15 September 2023.

SOTD 10-Sep
20230909_192710.jpg
Brush: Dogwood DG B16
Soap: A&E Lavender Noir
Razor: PAA Starling V3 SS
Blade: GEM PTFE (1)

First shave with this today, I've had others on deck and just haven't been able to get to it. I was somewhat excited for this one being a sort of new modern GEM (Version 3 really). I need to get more uses under my belt but these are my initial impressions.

I had been warned off the Starling V2 in the early days so can't compare against that. As far as I can there are a few differences. It is clearly heavier being in SS, seemingly it has been made more efficient as well, so I take it the V2 was a little mild. The last thing is the apparent removal of 'nubs' on the baseplate. Trying to inspect the pictures on the site of the V2 these nubs appears to be the blade stops, but I'm not 100%.
Screenshot_20230910_113237_Samsung Internet.jpg
The finish is decent, seems to be similar in terms of dimensions to the WR3, with quite a big gap behind the blade. Visually the only thing I'm not keen on is the left over machining marks on top of the baseplate that the product blurb suggests were left as is because they resembled bubbles.
20230910_104232.jpg
20230910_114729.jpg
Perhaps true but seems like cost cutting to me, others may like it and it may genuinely have been left for that reason but I'm not convinced, but it is called out specifically so it was my choice to accept it. The big bonus is the inclusion of both the SB and OC plates, always nice to have options.

So, as a kick off I had to go with the SB, it feels very heavy and head forward, so far so good. Loaded, face lathered and put blade to skin. Took it easy to begin with, just letting the head do it's thing. No sign of biting or irritation, and a decent first pass not absolutely smooth but I could have stopped there.

Second pass against the grain, relather and off I go again. All good on the cheeks and chin, on to the lip and it gave me a little warning. It felt like I got caught by the blade corner. Hmm, no blood popping, perhaps it was in my head. Move on to the neck, start moving down and get into the different contours of the neck and...holy shit what was that, definitely caught myself there. Set off again, all good then shit got me again. This happened a few more times, and drew a little blood. Finished up, rinsed off and decided to reach for the little used alum. Go to town and holy crap feel the burn, dear lord I've not had that sort of feedback since I first started with the R41 and a newbies over exuberant optimism...a gentle hand is needed tomorrow.

I'll put this one on me for now just getting used to it, but if its a continuous thing and those 'nubs' that were removed were indeed blade stops, then that was a mistake. Of course they may not have been, and my eyes are tricking me.

Apologies for the tome, I got carried away. Have a good one all.

Cheers

Marc

Sunday 10 September
Quiet day for us today, out late last night, mates birthday party, great evening, you know the drill. No headache this morning but will take things easy today :cool:. So, not so early shave.
Grabbed the Rockwell 6S on plate 5 and set about it with a flourish. Used an old travel brush, not sure why as it’s made of cheap thin metal, sharp enough to shave with along its bottom edge, but I put a synthetic knot in it a while back just as a trial job. Used a bit too much glue though and it’s still tacky around the join.
Managed a bbs in 2 passes plus pick ups, nothing more to add, I’ve got a bit of brain fog today, can’t think why :ROFLMAO::eek:
Have a relaxing day fellas!

IMG_0284.jpeg

10 September

SV 70th Anniversary
Simpson Chubby 2
Tatara Masamune Nodachi
Feather Hi-Stainless
SV 70th Anniversary asl

833FD494-F72D-4825-B36A-46A26F13E0D2.jpeg
The Nodachi is another modern razor that just works and works very well for me. A lovely cold water shave this morning. The SV and Simpson synthetic provided a very nice lather for the Tatara razor to do its thing. Two very comfortable passes with a new Feather and a smooth result. Good stuff.

B37DF564-8272-45DB-902C-1D3725DA9899.jpeg
Duke 3 Super
Schick L Twin
Japanese Schick twin blades (1)
OSP Neroli
Thayer’s Lavender witch hazel
4711 a/s

I put a new Japanese twin blade into this razor, and it’s a massive improvement on the single blade I had been using.
Won’t be doing that again.
Faultless, and very smooth. Wonderful citrus refreshment from the Neroli.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend chaps.

20230910_143735.jpg
My Shave today consisted of...

Prep Proraso preshave balm
Brush Shave factory Boar brush.
Soap Resurrection.
Razors Gillette Flare Tip birth year razor S2
Blade Derby Premium.
Aftershave Jean paul gaultier Scandal.

I have been working through my collection of birth year razors S2, I realised I never actually use them except for when I first got them and it was time to break them out of hibernation and set them to work.
The Flare tip is not what I call an everyday razor but it did provide a very good shave.
I hope everyone is enjoying the sweltering weather? I thought if I'm going to be sweating my tits off, I may as well smell absolutely amazing and Scandal does just that.
Enjoy your day everyone .

SOTD 20230910
Prep: Tüff Vor der Rasur
Bowl: Ceramiche di Sicilia
Brush: The Varlet Everset
Soap: Tcheo Fung Sing verde
Razor: Carbon CX-904L +Plate
Blade: Astra Super Platinum
AS: Tüff Rasierwasser
AS: Antica Barberia Modial Original Citrus

SOTD_20230910.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

Sunday 10th September

AIL4fc-mfmr4OgDm7bZb5zpYKVR1g98xWVMM1WgngOsiBOGTXiUJTqQQgxK30-yey2XSbwn4whUkZ-QgZXpt5gMSF2cZRIr4AyCRgRKG0BYo1kZ-zsvdZP_vRipow_QFTxmfKlaC-FZ3BPXTFj1KFm5G70ZpZw=w800

Gillette Fusion 5 Shaving Gel & Gillette Guard
Akcay Tutunu Kolonyasi

The travel can of goo abruptly stopped this evening (I have had it a couple of years) with an offering short of a shave, so bar soap as an impromptu alternative. It worked out fine! Whatever the hotel soap is, it's got some residual slickness worthy of many a dedicated shave soap.

View attachment 111085
My Shave today consisted of...

Razors Gillette Flare Tip birth year razor S2

I have been working through my collection of birth year razors S2, I realised I never actually use them except for when I first got them and it was time to break them out of hibernation and set them to work.
The Flare tip is not what I call an everyday razor but it did provide a very good shave.
I hope everyone is enjoying the sweltering weather? I thought if I'm going to be sweating my tits off, I may as well smell absolutely amazing and Scandal does just that.
Enjoy your day everyone .

View attachment 111084
Duke 3 Super
Schick L Twin
Japanese Schick twin blades (1)

I put a new Japanese twin blade into this razor, and it’s a massive improvement on the single blade I had been using.

Hi there,

Yeah, injector blades can make a huge overall performance difference and it sounds like you got lucky with yours. Never know for sure but I woulda bet they'd be keepers. The L type to me is the best Schick to find cheap AND shave well with the right combo.

IMG_2825.jpeg
SOTD: 10/09/2023

Razor: Hone 15
Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Highlander Chubby Style Boti Fan Knot Synthetic
Bowl: HC&C Black Straight Wall Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C Unscented Hard Puck Puck
Balm: The Inkey List Vitamin B, C And E Moisturiser Balm
Scent Oil: HC&C Clean And Fresh

An amazing shave as always with the Hone 15. I love this scent, initially I thought it was too light but an extra drop or too and it was fantastic! It smell is exactly like described a cotton fresh washing/old soap smell lovely in todays muggy heat. The oils add to a scentless balm with ease and I’m set for the day! Plus the scents lasted all day!

Hi there,

Yeah, injector blades can make a huge overall performance difference and it sounds like you got lucky with yours. Never know for sure but I woulda bet they'd be keepers. The L type to me is the best Schick to find cheap AND shave well with the right combo.
Hi, I got mine NOS, on the bay early in the year. It’s made to take twins and it was supplied with 3 vintage blades. They where superb and lasted about a dozen shaves. I wanted to try the razor with a single blade, and frankly it produced very poor results.
This razor, with twin blades however, is superb, and I could use daily.
But, I’m well beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom