Stainless DE / R 86 / 89?

No, don't get excited- they haven't released one.

Some seem dissapointed the 3ONE6 didn't fill this gap. I did a side by side comparison so.e ti.e ago and agreed that it doesn't.

I got a Muhle Rocca recently. Only used it for 1 week so far, but it reminded me of an '86 immediately.

Over the next week I'm going to alternate shaves between it and a DE86 - same blade / soap / brush etc and see if mynfirst impressions were right. I'll update here with the results when I'm done.

A few stats pulled off the web:

Edwin Jagger DE86:

Overall length: 93mm (3.7")Handle length: 83mm (3.3")Weight: 68g (2.4oz)

Muhle Rocca:

The handle is 95mm in length and 14mm in diameter. The weight at 80g is not too heavy, not too light -- just right.

I'll update in a week or so...

20240328_053446.jpg

I've been alternating shaves with these two, duplicating everything other than the razor to get a fair comparison. I wanted to try and see if the Rocca could fill the gap the 3ONE6 didn't and be a stainless 86 / 89.

20240328_053625.jpg

Comparing the two side by side, they are both very nicely finished razors. Both can be had with various handle options, but in the configurations I have the Rocca is longer, thicker and more grippy. Being stainless steel it is also heavier. (The stats are above).

20240328_053459.jpg

The 86 has a justified reputation as a very smooth but still effective razor. This one has been passed to my son, but I always forget how good they are until I use one again. A great example of good design and no thrills.

The Rocca is new to me. I've been surprised that I've found it milder than the 3ONE6, contrary to a lot of what I've read. It's probably the mildest SS razor in my rotation. That's what made me think of doing this comparison.

The Rocca is louder than the '86. It's is also just as smooth in my book. Very comfortable. Where it shines though (for me) is that it is just a little more effective. Maybe due to the extra weight. This suits me because I like to use just 2 passes. My skin doesn't like 3 pass shaves so much. The Rocca gives a nice, easy 2 pass shave getting my face lovely and smooth. The '86 needs a little more work to do that. Like in the previous comparison with the 3ONE6 I found I can overshave a little.

This, combined with beard which grows back more quickly after using the '86 means that (for me) the Rocca actually gives a better and more comfortable shave - especially as I shave every day.

Don't get me wrong, the Edwin Jagger is very good. It's just that the Muhle is even better and to my mind would be a great SS razor for anyone who enjoys the 86 / 89 range.

It'll cost a bit more but should last a lifetime or two!

20240328_053433.jpg

I like to think I've perfected the Rocca.

First, some weights:

R94 95g
R95 Birch Handle 80g
R96 Black Handle 85g
R96 Jet 85g

... which you can see that the R94 (the all stainless model as shown by @OrangeSport) is the overall heaviest. The Birch R95 is lightest with the replacement of the central part of the handle with birch wood. With the R96 once the black coating is removed a brass central section is revealed. I guess brass takes a coating easier than stainless steel? I guess that also accounts for the slightly heavier R94 if the handle is all stainless rather than brass. I'm no metallurgist, so happy to be corrected.

Anyways ...

AP1GczMcOdq4sBoda5T2euQhPweuxtx_MiJc0lE85rLoRZ-e0wMRrCX16_4TX62mpoaiK_HgxcwprceuA7EB2UitRrBjxSEsDzsE-3d7tm1UmkQLY6UKWxVqcTSN0l6fEmsGqFYR_dEt8fedVp_-GjTMdrWxVg=w1200

I bought this polished R96 shortly after my first Rocca purchase (which was the Birch handled model) and you can see that under the black is brass. While that is indeed a lovely look, I prefer my weight towards the head and I prefer a shorter handle.

... and so, pairing that lovely polished head (all gleaming like the chromed R89) with a lightweight and shorter bakelite handle I think I have the perfect combo:

AP1GczNV3_DpOfLy1TmZJ34GDIBJy4gSmajrjnq6gqBG26cuHxPkBHW9o9-Qo12kK_krLbFOHEJFAb-tR4JWhKmFzBGJwueLRZu8FGryKX5Def76UNnXqVuEfK6rT3iUjO8qsYnIDRLtmCWAJvcq47U5AhsdhA=w1200

Rocca ... shiny ... short handle.

I like to think I've perfected the Rocca.

First, some weights:

R94 95g
R95 Birch Handle 80g
R96 Black Handle 85g
R96 Jet 85g

... which you can see that the R94 (the all stainless model as shown by @OrangeSport) is the overall heaviest. The Birch R95 is lightest with the replacement of the central part of the handle with birch wood. With the R96 once the black coating is removed a brass central section is revealed. I guess brass takes a coating easier than stainless steel? I guess that also accounts for the slightly heavier R94 if the handle is all stainless rather than brass. I'm no metallurgist, so happy to be corrected.

Anyways ...

AP1GczMcOdq4sBoda5T2euQhPweuxtx_MiJc0lE85rLoRZ-e0wMRrCX16_4TX62mpoaiK_HgxcwprceuA7EB2UitRrBjxSEsDzsE-3d7tm1UmkQLY6UKWxVqcTSN0l6fEmsGqFYR_dEt8fedVp_-GjTMdrWxVg=w1200

I bought this polished R96 shortly after my first Rocca purchase (which was the Birch handled model) and you can see that under the black is brass. While that is indeed a lovely look, I prefer my weight towards the head and I prefer a shorter handle.

... and so, pairing that lovely polished head (all gleaming like the chromed R89) with a lightweight and shorter bakelite handle I think I have the perfect combo:

AP1GczNV3_DpOfLy1TmZJ34GDIBJy4gSmajrjnq6gqBG26cuHxPkBHW9o9-Qo12kK_krLbFOHEJFAb-tR4JWhKmFzBGJwueLRZu8FGryKX5Def76UNnXqVuEfK6rT3iUjO8qsYnIDRLtmCWAJvcq47U5AhsdhA=w1200

Rocca ... shiny ... short handle.

Now it's lighter is it still as effective?

Now it's lighter is it still as effective?

Perfect balance for me.

Thing is, depending where you hold the handle the balance changes anyway. My preference (with any razor) is for a short/er handle and holding the handle more towards the pommel end. When using the Rocca handle it will feel more like I have to drive the razor rather than just guide it, which is how it feels with the shorter handle.

It's simply a person preference.

Back
Top Bottom