Storing shave creams in fridge?

Hi,

since I've gone a bit overboard with shaving creams (and soaps...) :roll: lately I have a few tubs/tubes with the stuff. Also wanting to use soaps - I don't want to restrict meselves to just using up the creams at hi speed. I'm looking forward to the Provence Sante soaps, Artisan's mk5 and a GFT cream from pugh (thanks!)

But that means that the 200ml cream tubs are going to be there for > 1 year. Soaps I understand, don't have an 'use by' date. But creams do (even though I can't find it :? ). Lifetime of your creams is supposedly improved by storing your creams in a cool place - what is a cool place throughout the summer? :idea: Yes - the fridge, probably the veggie drawer. But it's in the basement and that's not close to the bathroom (1st floor) and shaving with cold cream somehow doesn't sound appealing

So I get these Fuji film canisters (remember those) and I fill them with a bit of cream (enough for at least a week I'd say), keep those in the bathroom and keep the tubs in the fridge. Another advantage is that it definitely saves shelf space.

Does this make sense or is it just a waste of time and fridge space? Or is it such a great idea I should do the same with the tubes of cream? The spare tubes are in the fridge, but tubes that do get used aint.

/marcel

I'm a bit unsure whether this should go in 'General shave chat' or in Shaving Creams. I decided on the latter but feel free to let me see the error of my ways.

Dont think your creams will really go off they may dry out a bit and take a bit more water to hydrate, So think you might be over thinking it as long as they are sealed when not in use dont really think you have a need for the fridge

Waste of fridge space I reckon. Creams in tubes don't ever contact the air and are near as damnit unaffected by time. They should be fine for years.

Creams in tubs get exposed to a wee bit more air and may start to dry out more but I still say it's not a huge problem. I've had one tub for nearly 5 months and even then I bought it well used, I have no idea how long the last guy had it.
Anyway I think Pedro is right. Cream gets dry? Add more water.

As an aside (while we're on the subject of wierd fridge contents) I used to store my cigarettes in the fridge during hot summers. :geek:

Well, ok, you shouldn't start threads like this one with me here you know... :lol: (just joking of course)

[I know the Tonies, the Maxies, the Ians and the Johnnies may start again after seeing these pics but whatever, this is TSR and we love just for that reason alone ;) :lol: ]

Show more

Show more

Show more

I keep all my balms, pre/post and moisturizers in the fridge. Reason is that I have quite a few, which I rotate all regularly, and for this reason I would not like them to go bad.
With shave creams it is different, and I agree with what has been said, however in my case a couple of soaps that were either a bit 'old' (AdP), too soft (Cella) or artisan made (Henk) had to better be kept there.

I've had an AdP balm (fortunately it was a 5ml sample) that went bad so no reason to take the risk with the twenty odd creams/balms I now have. Henk has told me that balms can go bad after 1-2 years, with this time frame going down to even 6 months for artisan-made ones. So the best precaution is to have just a few, and renew them every year or so appropriately as and when they tend to run out.

With shave creams it should generally be ok, but again the Cella for example is a special case (reports over at B&B mainly from people that left it with a lot of moisture/humidity inside, only to find it having gone bad months later). Safer option of course is to use soaps, hard soaps.

Anyone who keeps Floris N0 89 at the very front of their "Fridge Collection" demands gr8 respect in my world Konstantinos ! & like yourself I just love that we're all allowed to be as distinctive in our shaving approaches as we want to be in TSR .

JohnnyO. (Admiringly ). \ :lol: /

Must get me some of that Floris then :D

But - what a collection. And I thought I was bad. Maybe I can use it to convince the wife that I'm really not that bad, and that it could be worse :lol: Thanks for sharing!

So I get it - keep the balms etc. in the fridge and don't worry about the SC. Clear! I'll clean out the fridge a bit then, and make SWMBO happier. Except of course that I have quite a number of ASBs as well.

Maybe I'll use the Fuji containers anyway as they do save a considerable amount of space, compared to the Maca root and T&H tubs.

/m

:D :D

Im sat here on the sofa looking at those pictures K, every now and then stealing a glance over the top of the laptop to where my other half is sitting and trying to compute the exact reaction to her opening up the fridge to be confronted with my balms etc.. :?

Any chance you could offer a "cloud" like service with regards to balm storage fella. ;)

I'd just like to know what Konstantinos does for dinner. :|

Anyway, my fridge is too full of beer to get shaving products in. See, someone in this forum had to man the f*** up. :lol:

Canuck said:
I'd just like to know what Konstantinos does for dinner. :|

Anyway, my fridge is too full of beer to get shaving products in. See, someone in this forum had to man the f*** up. :lol:

Nope no beer in my fridge.
thats what the beer fridge is for :lol: :ugeek:

K, I was going to dis you for using the fridge as a cosmetics cooler but then I saw the two tubs of what looks like pre-grated parmesan. :shock:

That crime of all culinary crimes should put any woman off.

I just love TSR :)

well I always prefer a piece of parmesano reggiano, then I grate it when I make spaghetti or alternatively cut and eat it, but lately I've been lazy in grating plus that if I have it here it won't stay, I'll consume it quick so this lead to the nightmare

anyway, only balms & lotions are in real danger after considerable time (say 2 yrs), shave creams and of course soaps not really

and by the way it's nice to put over your face the cold (5 deg. C) IK or whatever else balm after shaving - refreshing feeling whatever the scent you may have chosen that day, especially during warm weather

antdad said:
K, I was going to dis you for using the fridge as a cosmetics cooler but then I saw the two tubs of what looks like pre-grated parmesan. :shock:

That crime of all culinary crimes should put any woman off.

So, you´re put off now?

I don't know what K's "status" is but if a girl looks in the fridge and see's more men's products than she could possibly vomit, might as well be full of lard burgers.

mmmmmmm. lard burgers

....topped with pre-grated parmesan.

Are you K:s date tonight and you´re going to a hamburger restaurant, but you´re now starting feel a little unsecure about his feelings for you? :lol:

I just remembered what the question was that started this thread :D Just so amusing to see how this ends up :lol:

/marcel

Back
Top Bottom