Strange smells I would like in an AS...

Having tried a few more traditional scents (I consider Bay Rum to be very pleasing if a little strange), I was wondering if anyone knew of any aftershaves/colognes that somehow evoke the following smells:

• Wet rust
  • Freshly cut sods of turf
  • Old, cracked rubber (as on an ancient cricket bat handle)
  • The air just before/after a heavy thunderstorm (i.e. Ozone, which propagates in the electrostatic charge)

No, I'm not joking. These are fantastic smells to me, and would like to experiment how they work on a person (i.e. myself).

Anything like that out there?

Can't think what wet rust smells like, as for the other three, I would suggest you try as's with Oak Moss (turf) Tobacco (rubber) and Peppermint (ozone), they would be the bases I would begin with to reproduce those scents.

Interesting thread.

Ken T M said:
Having tried a few more traditional scents (I consider Bay Rum to be very pleasing if a little strange), I was wondering if anyone knew of any aftershaves/colognes that somehow evoke the following smells:

• Wet rust
  • The air just before/after a heavy thunderstorm (i.e. Ozone, which propagates in the electrostatic charge)

No, I'm not joking. These are fantastic smells to me, and would like to experiment how they work on a person (i.e. myself).

All you would have to do is cut yourself after shaving to get the rust scented aftershave!!

I would like to see surfboard wax scented aftershave.
The closest smell would be that of shea butter.

Ken T M said:

• Wet rust

Hi Ken,

Take a look at the Demeter line of fragrances. I've sniffed maybe 5-6 and some of em are pretty interesting.

The scent of my Polo G40's exhaust fumes. Hmmm...

Or the smell of my overall if ive been in the garage the whole day. That oily/mechanical smell

Or the smell of an old Ford interior. You know, that damp Fordy smell.

All scents that make me smile and make me feel relaxed.

For all the stranger smells you should check out Comme des Garcons

one of the "odeur" scents claims to have an ozone/static smell to it and I can agree with it.

For the "grassy" smell again Comme des Garcons Sherbet Peppermint smells like a mint patch in a lush garden of green

Old cracked rubber you would get from Knize Ten (which I am selling on the BST here)

Metallic/Rust scent if you check out the aforementioned Etat Libre d'Orange Secretions Magnifiques http://shop.lessenteurs.com/category/1560/Secretions_Magnifiques I haven't smelt it however it is meant to be 'challenging' to say the least but is meant to carry a certain 'metallic' note.

And finally for Dipesh and Sezer74 you can get an excellent engine oil/garage smell from Comme des Garcons Synthetic Garage...................you have to smell it to believe it.

dodgy said:
Hi Ken,

Take a look at the Demeter line of fragrances. I've sniffed maybe 5-6 and some of em are pretty interesting.

Wow!!!

What an amazing site! Do they actually smell of what they claim?

If so, I think I'd probably take a few small jars of a bunch of different essentials, and experiment for a bit until I came up with a personal favourite...

Canuck said:
My apartment smells of rich mahogany, and I own many leather bound books.

http://www.demeterfragrance.com/58083/704134/All-Classic-Scents/Mahogany.html

"Pretty much what a man should smell like"

Ron Burgundy, eat your heart out.

Ken T M said:
[Wow!!!

What an amazing site! Do they actually smell of what they claim?

If so, I think I'd probably take a few small jars of a bunch of different essentials, and experiment for a bit until I came up with a personal favourite...
"

Sorry to say, it's been three or four years since last sniffing these, so my memory's kinda vague. I know some of the frags did a pretty good job of hitting what they were aiming for, and other frags were more like a leap of faith...heh. I think overall I thought they were ok for what they were. There's actually a store near me that handles that line.

Sheeeesh, I wouldn't order from the Demeter site, since UK shipping is a somewhat steep 40 bucks. Yeah, maybe see what's available locally and grab a few small sample bottles. The price is right, and you may find something to shup up a monkey or two.

Well, you asked for unusual scents, and that company is a good place to start with.

Martin

Ken T M said:

• Wet rust

Yes, it's called L'eau de scrapyard.

Back
Top Bottom