Stretching the skin a bad idea?

I've always stretched my skin when shaving as a matter of habit. However the other day I shaved without stretching, finishing with ATG. The shave was 95% as close (DFS and a half, but not BBS) and it was much easier to avoid irritation.

Anyone else find this? People say stretchig the skin is essential so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

P.s. Sill contorting my face a bit to get the best angle.

Mild gurner here too.

Stretching shouldn't really be necessary with a D.E, the saftey bar of the razor does a little and there are enough techniques to get you close enough. IMO.

As I shave my cheeks I puff them out. I also stretch my skin a bit when using a straight, mainly to get my skin in to places that are easier to shave. For example I'll pull the skin around my adam's apple to each side so I don't slice the knobbly bit, also I pull skin from my jawbone upwards to where my cheek is so I shave on the flat. I have pretty stretchy skin though, bit like Rowan Atkinson I suppose. But I'm not in to high performance sports cars.

hunnymonster said:
No stretching here beyond some mild gurning.

Hah, that's a good way of putting things. I really don't see the need for a second helping hand either, although there's a few facial and neck (bullfrog) gyrations needed to smooth these damn wrinkles out.

Martin

I only stretch one area and that's the lower part of my right cheek. With a diagonal stroke it is always smooth. Only way to get this area perfect without stretching would be to go against the grain and it would burn like mad!

I sometimes stretch the problem areas - under my jaw and sides of my neck - where I can't always get close enough. Helps to get a bit closer but can end in more irritation.

To pig cat: the 'puffing your cheeks out' brought back a memory from 40 yrs ago. I just remembered that my father use to do that when I saw him shave. Interesting how something like that can take you back so far. I'll have to try it.
Thanks

Johnus said:
To pig cat: the 'puffing your cheeks out' brought back a memory from 40 yrs ago. I just remembered that my father use to do that when I saw him shave. Interesting how something like that can take you back so far. I'll have to try it.
Thanks

Yes it's great. Keeps it all turgid.

Dipesh said:
PC, do you do the cheeks in the style of 'the master shavesmith'?

Yes and I make strange whining sounds as I shave too. Dat's an option. Yeah, dat's an option...

Beyond the kind of facial gymnastics mentioned above, skin stretching is probably not such a good idea with a DE razor because theoretically the safety bar should do that anyway. That's a case of do as I say rather than do as I do of course, but I do go very easy with it. Stretching is essential with a straight though.

Arrowhead said:
Beyond the kind of facial gymnastics mentioned above, skin stretching is probably not such a good idea with a DE razor because theoretically the safety bar should do that anyway. That's a case of do as I say rather than do as I do of course, but I do go very easy with it. Stretching is essential with a straight though.

How about an O/C SE then ???
Pete

Back
Top Bottom